2021 MLB Offseason Thread

beekay414

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins/twins-agree-to-terms-with-five-players-non-tender-rosario-wisler-r10115

The Twins will not go to arbitration with any players this offseason, however, as they agreed to terms with each of their other arbitration-eligible players.

Caleb Thielbar signed early in the day for $650,000.

Mitch Garver, in his first year of arbitration, agreed to a $1.875 million deal.
Arbitration Salary Estimates: Twins Daily: $2M | MLBTR: $1.9M

Tyler Duffey was eligible for a second time, and he will earn $2.2 million in 2021.
Arbitration Salary Estimates: TD: $2.5M | MLBTR: $2.6M

Byron Buxton agreed to a deal at $5.125 million in his third of four arbitration seasons.
Arbitration Salary Estimates: TD: $6M | MLBTR: $5.9M

Jose Berrios got $6.1 million which included a $500,000 signing bonus
Arbitration Salary Estimates: TD: $7.5M | MLBTR: $7.5M

9 hours ago, Slateman said:

I mean in general. Dude was supposed to be a beast. I mean 115 and 121 wRC+ is good, but still.

I'm wondering if he could just move to first base at this point. 

The defensive shifts killed him, along with much worse contact than expected.  I'll miss the big bastard for his 2016 heroics (and his 2015 playoffs awesomeness), but he just really didn't develop like he should have.  With that said, he's PERFECT for Yankee Stadium.  50 bombs there quite easily.

53 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The defensive shifts killed him, along with much worse contact than expected.  I'll miss the big bastard for his 2016 heroics (and his 2015 playoffs awesomeness), but he just really didn't develop like he should have.  With that said, he's PERFECT for Yankee Stadium.  50 bombs there quite easily.

He’ll hit like .150 here lol. That’s what happens every time we bring in a lefty power bat that’s supposed to be optimized for the short porch.

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Oh, man, the poor m(b)illionaires!

What may be interesting in this is that some (probably most) insurance policies have mitigation requirements. That is that the insured must take reasonable steps to minimize the damage. It would be fun if the insurance providers bring the MLB/MLBPA negotiations into play to say that the owners could/should have done xyz and it would have mitigated more of the damages. I can't really say whether that is a viable defense because so much depends on the language of the contract, which I'm not privy to, and the law of the state, which I don't know and have no desire to research, but just for the fireworks I'd love it.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30470966/****-allen-long-major-league-sugger-dies-78

I always wonder why one of the greatest hitters in the history of the game was shutout of the Hall of Fame. I had no idea how much he was tormented on account of his race by the fans and sportswriters of that era.

All of baseball, Phillies fans of that era in particular, owe the guy a major apology. He’ll probably be elected to the HOF next year at least.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

15 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30470966/****-allen-long-major-league-sugger-dies-78

I always wonder why one of the greatest hitters in the history of the game was shutout of the Hall of Fame. I had no idea how much he was tormented on account of his race by the fans and sportswriters of that era.

Man, really? Sad to hear.

All of baseball, Phillies fans of that era in particular, owe the guy a major apology. He’ll probably be elected to the HOF next year at least.

Oh.

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Man, really? Sad to hear.

Oh.

Can’t tell if you’re agreeing bc Philly fans are crazy or you’re mocking me lol. He had to wear a batting helmet while on the field because Phillies fans kept throwing stuff at him. Dealt with a lot of racial abuse and sports media would peg any charismatic black player back then as a bad boy troublemaker who racially divides clubhouses.

this is the same generation of Philadelphians that re-elected a segregationist mayor and made a statue of him, so I guess it makes sense. No hate to the younger Philly kids here and the old-timers who knew better.

edit: nvm you’re sarcastically agreeing with me no worries

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Can’t tell if you’re agreeing bc Philly fans are crazy or you’re mocking me lol. He had to wear a batting helmet while on the field because Phillies fans kept throwing stuff at him. Dealt with a lot of racial abuse and sports media would peg any charismatic black player back then as a bad boy troublemaker who racially divides clubhouses.

this is the same generation of Philadelphians that re-elected a segregationist mayor and made a statue of him, so I guess it makes sense. No hate to the younger Philly kids here and the old-timers who knew better.

edit: nvm you’re sarcastically agreeing with me no worries

I had never heard the story. Genuinely sad to read about, thanks for sharing though too. Yes, 2nd part was sarcastic agreeing, you got it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

EouQQbnWMAAwTcp?format=jpg&name=medium

LOL

LOL

LOL

Please, someone tell me that the Dolans are having a firesale in order to finally sell the team.

Seems to show a cycle. They clearly don't believe the team is going to win, so they're gonna sell when their revenue is least favorable.