2021 MLB Offseason Thread

beekay414

21 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The Mets have the richest owner in pro sports and I really am struggling to care.

Why bother, the game wasn't dying before despite all the hysteria saying it, but now it's pretty evident that the people running the sport and who own the teams do not give a **** about this sport.

Same boat here. The dolans and Manfred have killed my enjoyment.   This used to be my favorite sport by far....hockey might be ahead of it at this current juncture....

and I don’t know a lick about hockey

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

Following years of protests from fans and Native American groups, the Cleveland Indians have decided to change their team name, moving away from a moniker that has long been criticized as racist.

Youd think there were bigger issues to worry about, but cool? Some native americans find it offensive and others dont, id have to find the poll but I believe more actually dont. The redskins was obviously bad but Indians.... eh. Really long way to say, who cares, if this is what cleveland wanted to do then good for them.

11 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Youd think there were bigger issues to worry about, but cool? Some native americans find it offensive and others dont, id have to find the poll but I believe more actually dont. The redskins was obviously bad but Indians.... eh. Really long way to say, who cares, if this is what cleveland wanted to do then good for them.

It's 2020, man. Everyone finds everything offensive. Most Tribe fans.... uhhh... Baseball Team fans I know aren't happy about it but whatever. We're eventually going to get to a time where every mascot is a color unless it's a tone of skin bc those are off limits. 

• Like 1

Can a player and a team agree to mutually rip up a contract?

Like, the Phillies are a mess and facing a rebuild. Bryce Harper went to Philly with the understanding that they would build and add to be competitive. Ownership is now claiming money issues, and I imagine Bryce is pretty pissed, considering he's big on legacy.

Could they both agree to avoid his deal, and he them signs a one year deal, making him a free agent as the CBA, expires?

11 hours ago, Glen said:

People getting mad that a buisness owner is complying with the norms in order to maximize profits & gain positive PR.

lmaooooo

Yeah, that's why we're mad. I posted this last week:

On 12/9/2020 at 9:07 AM, MWil23 said:

EouQQbnWMAAwTcp?format=jpg&name=medium

LOL

LOL

LOL

Please, someone tell me that the Dolans are having a firesale in order to finally sell the team.

42 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, that's why we're mad. I posted this last week:

i mean, including the 2020 payroll is extremely disingenuous but thats what happens. When mid market teams feel they can be competitive they spend, when they dont they pull back. Theyre not going to compete contract wise with any of the monsters, so they have to try and be ahead of the game and make smart moves (and Cleveland actually usually does).

24 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i mean, including the 2020 payroll is extremely disingenuous but thats what happens. When mid market teams feel they can be competitive they spend, when they dont they pull back. Theyre not going to compete contract wise with any of the monsters, so they have to try and be ahead of the game and make smart moves (and Cleveland actually usually does).

Considering the worth of the Dolans and the fact that he's decided to cut guys like Hand to save $1 million instead of recouping his value by trading/acquiring prospects that he will also have to pay, you'll forgive me if I don't give him the benefit of the doubt. Throw in his interview about refusing to pay Lindor and "enjoy him" a few years ago, that's disingenuous.

He's tanking and cutting salary to maximize his profit margin without trying to be competitive, all while making a boatload of money.

If he has the audacity to give an ultimatum for a new stadium that they don't need to hold the fanbase hostage, hopefully they call his bluff and he either sells the team or moves them altogether.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Considering the worth of the Dolans and the fact that he's decided to cut guys like Hand to save $1 million instead of recouping his value by trading/acquiring prospects that he will also have to pay, you'll forgive me if I don't give him the benefit of the doubt. Throw in his interview about refusing to pay Lindor and "enjoy him" a few years ago, that's disingenuous.

He's tanking and cutting salary to maximize his profit margin without trying to be competitive, all while making a boatload of money.

If he has the audacity to give an ultimatum for a new stadium that they don't need to hold the fanbase hostage, hopefully they call his bluff and he either sells the team or moves them altogether.

The wealth of the dolans no not matter unless it came solely from the team (it didnt). Its a business, he really shouldnt be putting his personal money into payroll, etc. And no, the lindor thing isnt disengenious, its reality. They arent going to be able to match the contract he gets, maybe if theres a fault is that he was too honest about that fact.

And no, they arent tanking. Theyre actually stll fairly well positioned to be competitive now and into the future. Why would you think theyre tanking? Because they wont/probably shouldnt be able to pay Clevinger what he'll get when hes out of team control? Becasue hes honest about Lindor? And youre also misrepresenting the Hand situation, theyre saving a whole lot more than a million.