Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eagles18

Post 2020 Season: Fire Doug and Howie Thread

Recommended Posts

I think its legitimately time to discuss removing Howie from the front office and keeping Doug, but putting a leash on him. Howie has missed repeatedly in recent drafts and has put us in cap hell with signing and resigning old and expensive players. Most recently, he picked Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson who is lighting the league up right now. He is ranked 7th in receiving with 762 yards through halfway on the season on just 54 targets! The next top 6 are averaging 85.6 targets. I'm done with defending him with the mantra that he is a cap genius. 

 

Doug needs to give up play calling and just go into the Mike Tomlin approach. Lead the team and put smarter people around you. I want tough as balls position coaches especially at QB. 

I don't care if there are similar threads, lets vent our frustration now! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still like Howie for the numbers. Not sure if he’d continue to be a GM and let another guy come in and make football decisions but another Joe Douglas type guy could come in and I’d be happier. Someone with some upside potential, up and comer type fella. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Still like Howie for the numbers. Not sure if he’d continue to be a GM and let another guy come in and make football decisions but another Joe Douglas type guy could come in and I’d be happier. Someone with some upside potential, up and comer type fella. 

Jake rosenberg has done the numbers for years. 

 

Also to the OP point I think Doug has genuinely been the worst part of the team so far this year. He needs to go.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, eagles18 said:

Most recently, he picked Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson who is lighting the league up right now. He is ranked 7th in receiving with 762 yards through halfway on the season on just 54 targets

For the love of God, please stop comparing the 2 WR's. One has been injured for almost 3 months the other not. Jefferson could be a Eagle right now and the WR who got hurt producing nothing.

You can't predict injury. We couldn't when we drafted Jeremy Maclin, Nate Allen, Brandon Graham, Sidney Jones (well we could) and now Jalen Reagor. 

That's not on Howie or the Coaches.  Just crappy bad luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

For the love of God, please stop comparing the 2 WR's. One has been injured for almost 3 months the other not. Jefferson could be a Eagle right now and the WR who got hurt producing nothing.

You can't predict injury. We couldn't when we drafted Jeremy Maclin, Nate Allen, Brandon Graham, Sidney Jones (well we could) and now Jalen Reagor. 

That's not on Howie or the Coaches.  Just crappy bad luck.

Seems to be a trend, how long are we just going to call it bad luck when this team is one of the most injured 3 years running? You sound like Matts defending Sean Lee when you call it bad luck. "He's not injury prone, just bad luck prone!" We're either bringing in players who are too old or fragile, or we can't find a competent medical/training staff. Or both. That has to be somebody's fault. It's the same story every week since 2018 w/ injuries. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Seems to be a trend, how long are we just going to call it bad luck when this team is one of the most injured 3 years running? You sound like Matts defending Sean Lee when you call it bad luck. "He's not injury prone, just bad luck prone!" We're either bringing in players who are too old or fragile, or we can't find a competent medical/training staff. Or both. That has to be somebody's fault. It's the same story every week since 2018 w/ injuries. 

Besides Sidney Jones who we knew was injured and took a flier on, who of those players I listed (BG, Allen, Reagor, Maclin 1/2 dozen more ) had history of injury in college? Were deemed a risk to draft? Fluke injuries are a part of the game. Some teams are Snake bitten, some are not.

I'm not talking about FA, I'm strictly talking about Rookies, drafted players getting injured? Besides Sidney Jones who was actually a red flag? Screamed, be careful he's fragile, he will break, he will get injured?

Did the Giants know Saquon would be injury prone? How about the Chargers drafting Derwin James? 💩 happens, unfortunately for the Eagles we've managed to accumulate a waste management facilities worth. 

 

Edited by Nabbs4u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Besides Sidney Jones who we knew was injured and took a flier on, who of those players I listed (BG, Allen, Reagor, Maclin 1/2 dozen more ) had history of injury in college? Were deemed a risk to draft? Fluke injuries are a part of the game. Some teams are Snake bitten, some are not.

I'm not talking about FA, I'm strictly talking about Rookies, drafted players getting injured? Besides Sidney Jones who was actually a red flag? Screamed, be careful he's fragile, he will break, he will get injured?

Did the Giants know Saquon would be injury prone? How about the Chargers drafting Derwin James? 💩 happens, unfortunately for the Eagles we've managed to accumulate a waste management facilities worth. 

 

You make a good point. However, it is not just injuries. Very few of Howie's picks actually perform regardless of injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh, if one had to go I’d prefer it be doug. Howie has made some awful picks but the coaching staff also has not been able to exploit the strengths of our draft picks. Rasul and Sidney are good examples. Those guys are performing above average with their new teams. Dingo pointed out our secondary could be Jones/Douglas and Eric rowe and Jordan poster at safety right now. Obviously Rowe and Poyer were chip picks but that’s not the point. Our coaches are so bad at developing talent and maybe we should replace them. Clearly howie has hit on picks; they just don’t hit until after they leave here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems that Howie can't evaluate scouts and personnel people to help with the draft board which has led to him being underwhelming as a GM. 

There are going to always been instances every year should've taken X over Z. Yes you can't predict injury but you can predict usage and not to get any usage out of draft picks is a detriment to a team that is getting old/expensive real fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+

2 hours ago, nlesthought said:

There are going to always been instances every year should've taken X over Z

This past draft I believe is the exception. I think just about every football fan expected the Eagles to take Justin Jefferson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firing Howie doesn't matter if we don't Fire Doug as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately both of them will be back next year. They'll force Doug to hire an OC/playcaller, and they'll bring in someone to help Roseman with drafting.

If things go poorly again I think they'll finally move on from the Roseman-Pederson-Wentz regime. It could be a long year and a half lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RBreezy said:

Unfortunately both of them will be back next year. They'll force Doug to hire an OC/playcaller, and they'll bring in someone to help Roseman with drafting.

If things go poorly again I think they'll finally move on from the Roseman-Pederson-Wentz regime. It could be a long year and a half lol.

Lurie tried to force him to hire an OC this past offseason by firing guys he wanted to keep and Doug failed to do so. I think Doug is more on the chopping block than we think.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2020 at 11:21 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

You sound like Matts defending Sean Lee when you call it bad luck. "He's not injury prone, just bad luck prone!"

Bro - pretty sure that wasnt me. Some other Cowboys fan said it; though I used it jokingly (mostly to make fun of Wentz). 

This is slander (libel?). Take it back.

Edited by Matts4313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Bro - pretty sure that wasnt me. Some other Cowboys fan said it; though I used it jokingly (mostly to make fun of Wentz). 

This is slander (libel?). Take it back.

We cant be bothered to remember more than 1 cowboys poster so they are all you. Live with it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...