Week 11 - Rams at Buccaneers - MNF

RamRod

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

The muffed snapped could of been on the Center in that exchange and luckily we got that one back, but turnovers are really a detriment.

It was definitely on Blythe lol. Goff was attempting to change the play or the protections when Blythe snapped it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The first pick wasn't a miscommunication. Hollins and the LT obstructed Brady's vision. Brady threw to a spot thinking that Godwin could run to it. Staley simply fooled him. He wasn't expecting Fuller to be there. On the second INT, I couldn't tell what happened, but others said that Fuller aligned on the opposite hash, which fooled Brady again. If so, hat's off to Staley on his disguises. Brady got lucky that we let him off the hook.

I forgot to throw in Fournette's drops out of the backfield that I would chalk up to luck.

Just watching the game, I went into it expecting to lose. Goff throwing 50+ times and no running game is a recipe for disaster, but he identified the blitz well and our top two WR's came up HUGE making plays with their legs on short and intermediate throws. But his untimely turnovers are of a concern and if you ask any sports pundit what the Rams weakness is they would say the play we get out of Goff will determine the outcome. He had 2 INT's in the 2nd half that swung momentum and I feel we got lucky we came out of that game victorious. Or maybe this is just how Brady is going forward at 43. Who knows. Happy to get a win on our last east coast game of the year. 

Great win that had a huge impact on our standings 

Loved seeing us beat up on Tom Brady and loved us taking advantage of those lame duck deep balls of his. Our defense was once again lights out in the second half and we played very well in the first half too. As many had mentioned, the score could be chalked up to some bogus DPI calls. 

Huge day for the rookies. Van and Cam each got their first TD and Fuller got two picks (even if they were gimmes). 

Kupp/Woods were unreal. It felt like everything was going Kupp’s way. I’m almost surprised at how similar their stat lines are because of it. That catch and run by Woods to set up the last second FG in the first half was incredible. 

Joe Noteboom held his own and more last night. Like everyone else said, didn’t hear his name called at all, which is always a good thing for an O-Lineman. He didn’t get much push in the run game but then again, the same could be said for our entire OL. Most importantly he held up very well in pass protection while mostly going up against JPP (who’s having a very good year). If Noteboom can keep this up, that future LT spot is his for the taking once Whitworth is done. 

Let’s give Goff credit where it’s due. He looked really sharp throwing the ball. Everyone has been critical of him for his pre snap adjustments and his play against the blitz and last night he excelled in both. I saw numerous plays where he changed the call at the LOS and it was not McVay telling him to do so. This is the biggest sign of growth that we needed to see from him. Yes there were a few turnovers with his name on it but IMO he shouldn’t get blamed for two of them. 

All in all, great team win and we should feel really good about this team at this point in time. 

Also, a lot of people were very critical of McVay for not running the ball more. I’ve been one to get angry at him doing that in the past but the run simply wasn’t working last night so I really can’t argue with it. And while his playcalling in the second half can be very frustrating at times, it’s hard to argue with the results. The guys record speaks for itself when he goes into halftime with a lead. It’s not always pretty but as long as it gets us the W, that’s all that matters. 

• Like 1

First things first, that officiating crew was not good. You cant make that PI call on Ramsey early and then continue to let our guys get absolutely molested the rest of the game. Felt like flashbacks of the Super Bowl against Brady. Not to mention the VERY early whistle on the should have been fumble/safety. I know we get held alot with Donald, and they arent going to call all of them, but to not call a single one? When they were often blatant? All around poor job by them.

Anyone complaining about the Run/Pass ratio wasnt paying attention to what that Bucs D was doing to our outside run game. But the one thing that did irk me a bit, which you know I would almost never call for this, but why not try Brown up the middle a bit more? Not sure it would have been much better, but when we did run, I dont understand why we kept trying to get outside.

Its almost astonishing to me that people can watch that game and still come away complaining about Goff. And yes, there is a difference in complaining and criticizing, Im actually about to call out the few things he should have done better. But first, over 75% completion (almost broke the MNF record for completions), nearly 400 yards passing and 3 TDs. and the ultimate stat, a WIN. He was cool under pressure and never really got panicked against Brady, on the road, in prime time, having to drive for a game winning score. The Fumbled snap was all on Blythe, cant have that, and it was a good job by Jared to get the ball back. The First INT was a miscommunication, I have no idea where Henderson was going, but Goff threw the ball into the bubble of blockers while DH is slipping out to the sideline, never turning around for the ball (also Notebom either needs to olay JPP there, or stay engaged, he would have blown up a completion). The second INT Goff needs to be better on, he got baited a bit, that happens. But I will point out again, Woods (i think it was) was getting mugged across the field and never got the chance to get to the spot. I dont like the Delay of Games either, but with how McVay wants to change up their tempo to the line, its going to happen. If we keep that as a staple of the offense, as Jared grows as a Vet he will be better at those. So either we have to be OK with a few of those situations per game, or McVay needs to give him more time coming out. But it was a great team effort on the last second FG just before Half, was the difference in the game. And the only other times I would call out Goff were first the Deep shot he took, just that he didnt need to, and Woods was open acoss the middle of the field for 20+yards. And the other was when he didnt hit Reynolds in the chest on that one big 2nd down, he needs to make that throw (although he made an even better thrown on 3rd to Kupp).

The Defense was great, only giving up 4 scores in the game. First was heavily PI assisted on a bad call. The FG came off of a turnover with the Bucs already in the Red Zone and we walled them. And another came off the second INT, that came just 2 plays (the worst possible drive of the year; Fumble, Delay of Game, INT) after making a 4th down stop. So there was really only one full drive for a score that this D gave up all game, and even that had some PI assist on it. As long as this D keeps brining it, we can beat anyone.

And I even feel decent about Gay, lets hope he keeps it up. The miss was outside of 40, so it didnt infuriate me, would like to see him make it though. And his Kickoffs were good as well, all touchbacks except fo the last one, which probably should have been, but Barner was trying to make a play for their final drive.

The thing that needs to change is McVay turtling every time we have a lead in the 4th Quarter. Im not saying we need to be slinging it all over the yard still, and yes the run game issues likely factored in last night. But its been a massive trend that he doesnt just let off the gas, he is content to just slam on the breaks and leave it up to the Defense. Its mostly worked at this point, but if we do that to a healthy Brees, or definately to a Rodgers or Wilson too many times, we are going to get burned. He also needs to stop going to the jet sweep in high leverage situations, especially backed up in our own zone, its been disastrous.

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

First things first, that officiating crew was not good. You cant make that PI call on Ramsey early and then continue to let our guys get absolutely molested the rest of the game. Felt like flashbacks of the Super Bowl against Brady. Not to mention the VERY early whistle on the should have been fumble/safety. I know we get held alot with Donald, and they arent going to call all of them, but to not call a single one? When they were often blatant? All around poor job by them.

Anyone complaining about the Run/Pass ratio wasnt paying attention to what that Bucs D was doing to our outside run game. But the one thing that did irk me a bit, which you know I would almost never call for this, but why not try Brown up the middle a bit more? Not sure it would have been much better, but when we did run, I dont understand why we kept trying to get outside.

Its almost astonishing to me that people can watch that game and still come away complaining about Goff. And yes, there is a difference in complaining and criticizing, Im actually about to call out the few things he should have done better. But first, over 75% completion (almost broke the MNF record for completions), nearly 400 yards passing and 3 TDs. and the ultimate stat, a WIN. He was cool under pressure and never really got panicked against Brady, on the road, in prime time, having to drive for a game winning score. The Fumbled snap was all on Blythe, cant have that, and it was a good job by Jared to get the ball back. The First INT was a miscommunication, I have no idea where Henderson was going, but Goff threw the ball into the bubble of blockers while DH is slipping out to the sideline, never turning around for the ball (also Notebom either needs to olay JPP there, or stay engaged, he would have blown up a completion). The second INT Goff needs to be better on, he got baited a bit, that happens. But I will point out again, Woods (i think it was) was getting mugged across the field and never got the chance to get to the spot. I dont like the Delay of Games either, but with how McVay wants to change up their tempo to the line, its going to happen. If we keep that as a staple of the offense, as Jared grows as a Vet he will be better at those. So either we have to be OK with a few of those situations per game, or McVay needs to give him more time coming out. But it was a great team effort on the last second FG just before Half, was the difference in the game. And the only other times I would call out Goff were first the Deep shot he took, just that he didnt need to, and Woods was open acoss the middle of the field for 20+yards. And the other was when he didnt hit Reynolds in the chest on that one big 2nd down, he needs to make that throw (although he made an even better thrown on 3rd to Kupp).

The Defense was great, only giving up 4 scores in the game. First was heavily PI assisted on a bad call. The FG came off of a turnover with the Bucs already in the Red Zone and we walled them. And another came off the second INT, that came just 2 plays (the worst possible drive of the year; Fumble, Delay of Game, INT) after making a 4th down stop. So there was really only one full drive for a score that this D gave up all game, and even that had some PI assist on it. As long as this D keeps brining it, we can beat anyone.

And I even feel decent about Gay, lets hope he keeps it up. The miss was outside of 40, so it didnt infuriate me, would like to see him make it though. And his Kickoffs were good as well, all touchbacks except fo the last one, which probably should have been, but Barner was trying to make a play for their final drive.

The thing that needs to change is McVay turtling every time we have a lead in the 4th Quarter. Im not saying we need to be slinging it all over the yard still, and yes the run game issues likely factored in last night. But its been a massive trend that he doesnt just let off the gas, he is content to just slam on the breaks and leave it up to the Defense. Its mostly worked at this point, but if we do that to a healthy Brees, or definately to a Rodgers or Wilson too many times, we are going to get burned. He also needs to stop going to the jet sweep in high leverage situations, especially backed up in our own zone, its been disastrous.

Gay is the first kicker we've had all year whose FGAs actually look like Greg's (trajectory, movement to some degree, etc.). Seems like he could be a legit NFL Kicker. Just needs confidence and to find a way to aim his kicks so that the fade to the right doesn't take them outside the uprights.

• Like 4

And today’s narrative of course isn’t about the Rams being a great defense or anything.. it’s about Brady throwing 2 bad picks. This team will never get any credit lol hopefully that means teams are sleeping on them too. I’m already excited for this Sunday 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I forgot to throw in Fournette's drops out of the backfield that I would chalk up to luck.

Just watching the game, I went into it expecting to lose. Goff throwing 50+ times and no running game is a recipe for disaster, but he identified the blitz well and our top two WR's came up HUGE making plays with their legs on short and intermediate throws. But his untimely turnovers are of a concern and if you ask any sports pundit what the Rams weakness is they would say the play we get out of Goff will determine the outcome. He had 2 INT's in the 2nd half that swung momentum and I feel we got lucky we came out of that game victorious. Or maybe this is just how Brady is going forward at 43. Who knows. Happy to get a win on our last east coast game of the year. 

Isn’t that the case with all QBs? 

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

yard still, and yes the run game issues likely factored in last night. But its been a massive trend that he doesnt just let off the gas, he is content to just slam on the breaks and leave it up to the Defense. Its mostly worked at this point, but if we do that to a healthy Brees, or definately to a Rodgers or Wilson too many times, we are going to get burned. He also needs to stop going to the jet sweep in high leverage situations, especially backed up in our own zone, its been disastrous.

It has mostly worked??? It has always worked. Rams are 32-0 when leading at halftime. Thats not mostly thats always. He played Wilson 7 times now and is (5-2). Played Brees 4 times and is (3-1) and played ARod and Mahomes and beat them both. In those games outside of ARod at some point Wilson, Brees, and Mahomes all had chances to take their team down the field to tie or win the game and the Rams defense shut it down. In the case of ARod he never saw the field because the Rams special teams shut it down. McVay knows he has the Mariano Rivera of defenses. I would hate for the Rams to lose because Goff drops back and some fluky tipped ball into the air, reflection off the hands of a receiver, a receiver slips, an OL gets crossed up and a free rusher nails Goff and then a turnover happen returned for a td. Id take my chances on running and putting the defense out there if possible and let them close it out. I dont care what QB they are playing because history has shown the Rams defense shows up in clutch no matter who is out there at QB on the opposing team. Now can it backfire at any time? Yes but the chances are rare for the Rams. How rare? Ive only seen two times that QBs marched down the field to beat the Rams in a close game in the 4th quarter and thats the Niners last season and it took two 3rd and longs to do so which to me is really unseen and this season the Bills and that was after another 3rd and long and then a bad DPI call. If you tell me both those situations are going to happen on the same drive then you got me but again its unseen. But I do get you want McVay to not go from aggressive to super conservative. I just think again he knows what he has in his defense and so he trust them to close it out and so far they have done it time and time again. 

Btw I felt confident the Rams would win that game when they kicked that field goal and Brady went out on that field. It played out ironically the same way that MNF two years ago with Mahomes. People asked if the Rams scored too fast and gave Mahomes too much time? Sure but I felt like the Rams would close it out and Mahomes did the exact same thing Brady did last night. He had a timeout and all the Chiefs needed was a field goal to tie, Mahomes went deep and got picked off by Peters to end the game. I was thinking that this morning when Nick Wright was talking about Brady mistake and he said in some many words that Mahomes wouldve never done that. I was thinking yes he actually did do that against the Rams lol. 

Edited by stl4life07

14 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Isn’t that the case with all QBs? 

Should of phrased it better....

Any outside perspective would say our most volatile piece is Goff. He can play amazing at times and have turnovers that are headscratchers. We just have to hope the defense can over come them like they did on Monday.