Week 11: WFT vs The Bengals

MikeT14

3 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Huh?  I'm not going to quit on the team if he doesn't make playoffs.  All I am saying is I would very much enjoy being involved in the postseason, no matter if we got there at 6-10 or 16-0.  The entire purpose of being a fan is hoping they are playing meaningful games in december and beyond.  Until we don't control our own destiny I am hoping for that.

Honestly, I don't know why everyone is so caught up in the draft pick positioning this year.  Lawrence is the only draft pick who is close to a sure thing to changing our franchise and we lost that option many weeks ago.  

Okay. So suppose we end up picking 3rd or 4th. And we're on the clock and a team wants a player at our pick so badly that they are dangling their 2021 first and second and a 2022 first rounder. Think that can't change our franchise? It's not always about the player available that WE can pick. Sometimes it's the player available that another team covets.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Okay. So suppose we end up picking 3rd or 4th. And we're on the clock and a team wants a player at our pick so badly that they are dangling their 2021 first and second and a 2022 first rounder. Think that can't change our franchise? It's not always about the player available that WE can pick. Sometimes it's the player available that another team covets.

It's also affects their position in rounds 2-7. Because they are now in a group of six teams at 3-7, they will drop down to 9th in the 3rd round. Which can also have trade ramifications.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I’d love it if Kyle Smith convinced Rivera to bring back Jamison Crowder, but the Jets have to cut him first. The only reason I think they may is bc he’s sent to make $11 million next year and bc of his injury history they may not feel he’s worth it, but I think it’s unlikely he’s cut by the Jets.

There are other WRs I think we could/should sign who won’t break the bank if the Sims brothers don’t break out the final 6 games. We also should draft a WR at some point again - either early if we don’t take a QB in round 1 or in the mid rounds to compete for a starting spot.

What I meant is TE are cheap maybe we should go after the best TE we can find unless Crowder gers cut and we move Cam Sims to TE.

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

We got the best player in the draft last year.  Did that change anything?  Not so much.  Draft picks aren't everything.  I heard Joe Burrow was going to change the franchise of cinncinnati, but now he might never be the same.  Don't waste your football season thinking about what could be in the draft.

The problem is you have been Snydered.  You are one of these people that now thinks winning the offseason is more important than winning during the actual season.  Don't worry you aren't alone in this.  You need to retrain your brain.  :)

Live in the now my friend! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Which is what I want, man. I don't want the players taking a knee. I want them to try hard, and develop. But just miss out and lose close games. This way, you have players buying in, and we still get more options in next year's draft.

Agreed. 

17 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

What I meant is TE are cheap maybe we should go after the best TE we can find unless Crowder gers cut and we move Cam Sims to TE.

I think Cam Sims proved he’s a WR. Before I thought he might have to play TE bc I didn’t think he could run sharp routes and get open but I think his issues was different. I don’t think he’s the sharpest tool in the shed judging by his interviews but he & Isaiah Wright have both said that playing with Alex has helped them a lot, it’s like getting the answers before the test on each play. He’s helping all the young WRs develop.

Crowder is also a slot WR, Cam Sims is an outside WR. If Crowder was cut and we signed him, he’d take Steve Sims spot as the slot WR.

I agree about signing a TE, we also need to draft one too.

Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, offbyone said:

We got the best player in the draft last year.  Did that change anything?  Not so much.

No, but that's because the team was not one player away from being competitive.

They still aren't.

Draft picks aren't everything.

No, but they represent young, cheap, hungry talent. Having a higher pick isn't a guarantee at getting a good player, but it is certainly a lot more likely you can select the player of your choice than if you are lower down the draft.

I heard Joe Burrow was going to change the franchise of cinncinnati, but now he might never be the same.

There's a somewhat big difference between drafting a bust and drafting a guy who had a severe injury. It's a rough sport, but Burrow looked to be the real deal.

Don't waste your football season thinking about what could be in the draft.

I would point out the name of this website is Football's Future. Kind of comes with the territory, no?

The problem is you have been Snydered.  You are one of these people that now thinks winning the offseason is more important than winning during the actual season.  Don't worry you aren't alone in this.  You need to retrain your brain.  :)

No, people like @Thaiphoon and myself can see what this roster is: at best, it is a D+/C- squad. The only reason that they are even in the running for the division is the two better teams (Philadelphia and Dallas) have been wracked with injuries. As a result, they are now D+/C- squads as well.

That's good for winning a division of turd blossoms, but it means they'll get destroyed in the first round of the playoffs. Again, I will ask: do you think Washington has a puncher's chance against a Tom Brady-led Tampa Bay team (the current #1 wildcard team)? Do you want to see that game in January? Yes, January is not "the now" but it is coming down the pike. Do some simple analysis.

Edited by Woz
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, offbyone said:

We got the best player in the draft last year.  Did that change anything?  Not so much.  Draft picks aren't everything.  I heard Joe Burrow was going to change the franchise of cinncinnati, but now he might never be the same.  Don't waste your football season thinking about what could be in the draft.

I disagree, getting the 2nd best player in the draft did help our defense out. We’re still not what I’d call a good defense, but we’re trending in the right direction and one reason is bc of Chase Young.

I think it’s quite possibly the most ridiculous argument ever that you don’t want one of the top picks aka best players you could get in the draft. I just can Not make sense of it.

It has nothing to do with trying to win the offseason. It has to do with building through the draft. Snyder’d means signing a bunch of near or over 30 free agents and thinking that’s going to make us a Super Bowl contender.

We’re taking about the opposite of that. Getting a top pick in the draft, collecting a bunch of young talent and developing a team that will be good for a decade - maybe even great.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

I would point out the name of this website is Football's Future. Kind of comes with the territory, no?

That's funny!

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

There's a somewhat big difference between drafting a bust and drafting a guy who had a severe injury. It's a rough sport, but Burrow looked to be the real deal.

Point is players fail for all kinds of reasons so we shouldn't put so much into a handful of draft slots.

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

No, people like @Thaiphoon and myself can see what this roster is: at best, it is a D+/C- squad. The only reason that they are even in the running for the division is the two better teams (Philadelphia and Dallas) have been wracked with injuries. As a result, they are now D+/C- squads as well.

That's good for winning a division of turd blossoms, but it means they'll get destroyed in the first round of the playoffs. Again, I will ask: do you think Washington has a puncher's chance against a Tom Brady-led Tampa Bay team (the current #1 wildcard team)? Do you want to see that game in January? Yes, January is not "the now" but it is coming down the pike. Do some simple analysis.

First of all, I would love to watch our team in a playoff game even if they get destroyed.  It has been too long since I watched our team in the post season.  This is why I am a fan.

Secondly, if you are correct and we are a D+/C- team, then one player isn't going to make a difference, so why care so much about draft slotting?

As a counterpoint, I would point out that Rivera clearly agreed with your assessment and came to that conclusion last offseason.  Hence, he sat on his hands all offseason and showed zero urgency to improve the team.  Guess what, he blew it.  Because if he was even a little aggressive in free agency and added 2 more solid pieces, we would likely be winning our division by a margin right now.  This is the important lesson.  You should always believe you can win and always try to win every season.  Fortunes change every season.  Top teams fall, crap teams rise.  This is undeniable.  Football also comes with a lot of luck.  This year, lady luck sent us the worst division in football and we failed to capitalize because we were too focused on the future.  

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

That’s a hypothetical. That’s like saying well why didn’t we trade down instead of drafting Chase Young bc we could’ve gotten 3 Firsts... I mean come on. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts! 😂 

Edited by turtle28

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Love to watch Washington get destroyed in the playoffs while we lose 10-15 spots in draft position? That’s the absolute nightmare scenario!

I think the nightmare scenario is winning a couple more and getting tiebreakered out by the Giants or edged by the Eagles and their tie — missing the playoffs but still picking in double digits. Miss out on the top 3 QBs, miss out on the blue chip position players, get stuck picking from the second or third tier of guys, and not even get a positive “real football” experience out of it.

As I said, if they lose out, great. But I don’t think that happens. And I think the worst outcome is getting caught in the middle, as we always do. 

• Like 2

I guess what really bothers me most about this season is we have nothing at LB, no QB, the offensive line is a mess and we badly need a FS. If they continue this approach of only using the draft to improve whilst doing nothing to add to their pot of draft picks we’re just going to be stuck in this purgatory forever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I think the nightmare scenario is winning a couple more and getting tiebreakered out by the Giants or edged by the Eagles and their tie — missing the playoffs but still picking in double digits. Miss out on the top 3 QBs, miss out on the blue chip position players, get stuck picking from the second or third tier of guys, and not even get a positive “real football” experience out of it.

As I said, if they lose out, great. But I don’t think that happens. And I think the worst outcome is getting caught in the middle, as we always do. 

I don’t see that happening. I think it’s very very unlikely we end the season at 5-11 and aren’t picking around the 5th pick. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I guess what really bothers me most about this season is we have nothing at LB, no QB, the offensive line is a mess and we badly need a FS. If they continue this approach of only using the draft to improve whilst doing nothing to add to their pot of draft picks we’re just going to be stuck in this purgatory forever. 

That all depends on the development of our young talent more than any free agency we’d sign IMO.

Like, I don’t expect us to sign a better WR than Terry, he’s our dude, a drafted super starter!

I think our drafted players on the DL & some on the OL have shown well that we’ve drafted. We also don’t know what we have about Charles yet, I think ppl forget about him as a piece. 

I consider Fuller a drafted player even though he left and we signed him back. Our other corners but Darby are drafted players and have been good. Gibson is a drafted player and has been great.

LB & TE are the positions we need to upgrade the most IMO. We need to add complementary players in FA.

I’m not as worried about safety as I am LB. Everrett was fine at FS, Curl has been pretty good. Sure we need to add more guys to compete - maybe even start there but I think LB is the greatest need.

The long term answer at QB is what we need for sure! I see Alex as the bridge guy to our hopeful young/long term starter. It remains to be seen who that is.

Edited by turtle28