Who's on your Hall of Fame ballot for 2021?

Apparition

My votes would go to Peyton Manning, Charles Woodson, Torry Holt, Richard Seymour and Ronde Barber

The toughest call for me is Barber over Leroy Butler. I'd be 100% fine with either of them making it, but Barber's longevity as an elite player gives him a slight edge for me.

Edited by Starless
  • Like 1

I'm going to assume I get 5 votes, so here goes.

WR is interesting - I assume Holt, Calvin, and Wayne will eventually get in. I think Ward and Tasker will get drowned out by all the WRs that are about to get on the ballot. I would personally give my vote to Calvin as my WR, but I think it will more likely be Holt first.

Peyton is hands down first ballot

Charles Woodson needs to be first ballot as well

Then give me Alan Faneca and John Lynch for my final 2

As a Vikings fan, it's great to see Jared Allen getting this far.  He absolutely deserves to be in Canton some day, but I don't know if he needs to be a first ballot guy.  From this list, I'd probably go with:

Peyton Manning - No brainer.
Charles Woodson - Great player who I would have no problem seeing go in on his first try.
Cornelius Bennett - Awesome player on those historic Bills Super Bowl teams.
Calvin Johnson - I know he had a shorter career than some, but IMO, he is the 4th best WR of all time, behind Moss, Rice, and T.O.
John Lynch - Long career of excellent play in Miami.  He's a HOF'er in my book.

It's time for Freddie T.

Go listen to players from that era talk about him. It's a damn travesty playing in a small market has had this big of an impact on whether a player gets in (Boselli is the same way).

Here's Ray Lewis and Randy Moss on him a couple years ago:

I'm gonna have to go against the prevailing opinion on Calvin Johnson. I do believe he's a Hall of Famer, but I don't think he's first-ballot. A physically dominant and productive player, but one whose name would be a footnote in the history of the NFL, rather than have a paragraph devoted to it. Playing his career in Detroit absolutely worked against him. Lack of a championship shouldn't work against a receiver, but at the same time, his production was not so overwhelming and his presence on the field wasn't so exceptional that it would compensate for the relative lack of historical impact. If he'd played a few more years and got to that Randy Moss/Terrell Owens plateau in the record books, I would say he's a first-ballot guy. But he finished his career outside the top-20 in catches, yards and TDs. 

Edited by Starless
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Starless said:

I'm gonna have to go against the prevailing opinion on Calvin Johnson. I do believe he's a Hall of Famer, but I don't think he's first-ballot. A physically dominant and productive player, but one whose name would be a footnote in the history of the NFL, rather than have a paragraph devoted to it. Playing his career in Detroit absolutely worked against him. Lack of a championship shouldn't work against a receiver, but at the same time, his production was not so overwhelming and his presence on the field wasn't so exceptional that it would compensate for the relative lack of historical impact. If he'd played a few more years and got to that Randy Moss/Terrell Owens plateau in the record books, I would say he's a first-ballot guy. But he finished his career outside the top-20 in catches, yards and TDs

I don't like this argument at all. I'll take per game or per season numbers over gross.

He holds the single season record for yards. He had a stretch of like 6 years that was probably only 2nd to Jerry Rice's early career as far as dominance goes.

I think its completely inaccurate to say he had no historical impact. He's the benchmark comparison for physical freaks, and we are still waiting for one of them to be able to match him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tk3 said:

I don't like this argument at all. I'll take per game or per season numbers over gross.

He holds the single season record for yards. He had a stretch of like 6 years that was probably only 2nd to Jerry Rice's early career as far as dominance goes.

I think its completely inaccurate to say he had no historical impact. He's the benchmark comparison for physical freaks, and we are still waiting for one of them to be able to match him.

His single-season record for yards only had him scoring 5 TDs on a 4-12 team. Again, I'm not looking to penalize a guy for playing on a loser franchise, but playing in the golden age of passing offenses puts his accomplishments in a different light than a guy like Jerry Rice. There are several players, just among his contemporaries, who have been similarly dominant, but also played a lot more meaningful games. And I'd still consider Randy Moss to be the freakish WR against whom all others are judged, though Johnson kind of represented the upper echelon of that.

Anyway, I'm in no way saying he's not HOF-worthy. I'm saying that with the WR logjam being what it is, I don't think he distinguished himself quite enough over his peers to be a first-ballot guy. Torry Holt has been waiting for 6-7 years now, and he had a similarly productive career, with the added claim of having been a key part of one of the greatest offenses of all time. Put him in the Hall first, and then go down the list of eligible receivers. 

Edited by Starless

Peyton Manning & Charles Woodson - First Ballot No-brainers

Zach Thomas (7 times All-Pro, All-Decade Team 2000s)

Alan Faneca (6 times All-Pro, All-Decade Team 2000s)

Richard Seymour (5 times All-Pro, All-Decade Team 2000s)

They need an all or mostly WR class to sort out the logjam sometime in the next few years. 2022 would be a good time to do it, as there are no shoo-in candidates.

Manning and Charles Woodson are locks.

Ronde Barber is a guy I'd put in, he became the model of the zone/Tampa 2 DB and was a terror in all facets of the game.

Torry Holt was such a big piece of the GSOT. He can't keep missing out, and I can't put Calvin Johnson in before him (not saying Megatron is getting in right now, mind you).

It then comes down to Zach Thomas or Alan Faneca, IMO. Thomas was such a long shot as a 5th round pick, and was such a mainstay for that Miami defense. That razor thin aspect gets the nod for me, but that's something that can change with the right discussion.

9 hours ago, Tk3 said:

uh, Julio Jones?

10 hours ago, Starless said:

I'm gonna have to go against the prevailing opinion on Calvin Johnson. I do believe he's a Hall of Famer, but I don't think he's first-ballot. A physically dominant and productive player, but one whose name would be a footnote in the history of the NFL, rather than have a paragraph devoted to it. Playing his career in Detroit absolutely worked against him. Lack of a championship shouldn't work against a receiver, but at the same time, his production was not so overwhelming and his presence on the field wasn't so exceptional that it would compensate for the relative lack of historical impact. If he'd played a few more years and got to that Randy Moss/Terrell Owens plateau in the record books, I would say he's a first-ballot guy. But he finished his career outside the top-20 in catches, yards and TDs. 

Also just the way they've been inducting receivers. Moss is the only receiver recently to make it first ballot. Guys like Harrison and Owens both had to wait two years while they got through the logjam. It will be first come first serve.