Week 12 - Rams vs 49ers

RamRod

1 minute ago, rocky_rams said:

It’s so frustrating. He looks so good one game then he’s so bad another. 

the drop off is so large. That’s what concerns me moving forward with him 

I feel like If we have to keep having this conversation, it’s because he isn’t good. Or at least consistently good. I’ve said it many times, he will be the reason we are or aren’t Super Bowl contenders. Great teams don’t lose these games. Not consistently. When it comes to being consistent, Goff is the only one that seems to struggle on this team. Yes, the bills game was handed to the bills but the niners first game, this game, and dolphins, were on him. The giants game that we somehow barely snuck out of, he played terrible. The bears game he was lucky to not get picked off twice. 11 turnovers in 3 games is insane. Our defense has saved us from being a .500 team or close to it. Yes, he can make any throw. He looks GREAT at times. But he simply doesn’t have that “it” factor and is simply just not consistent enough. He is not worth the money they are paying him. The rams will rise and fall as consistently as Jared Goff does. Cause that’s what it all depends on right now. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Unless McVay magically finds the next Brady in the 6th round, Goff is the guy. We simply don't have better options. Here's hoping he figures his crap out.

Exactly. Anyone with the notion that we would just “move on” in any of the next couple of years, especially with a compromised Salary Cap due to COVID, is out of their mind. 

Rober Saleh just has this teams number. And the sooner he is a Head Coach outside this division the better. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Unless McVay magically finds the next Brady in the 6th round, Goff is the guy. We simply don't have better options. Here's hoping he figures his crap out.

Yup. I feel like the Niners are in the same boat. However they didn’t give their guy such a long contract. We unfortunately did. 

3 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

I feel like If we have to keep having this conversation, it’s because he isn’t good. Or at least consistently good. I’ve said it many times, he will be the reason we are or aren’t Super Bowl contenders. Great teams don’t lose these games. Not consistently. When it comes to being consistent, Goff is the only one that seems to struggle on this team. Yes, the bills game was handed to the bills but the niners first game, this game, and dolphins, were on him. The giants game that we somehow barely snuck out of, he played terrible. The bears game he was lucky to not get picked off twice. 11 turnovers in 3 games is insane. Our defense has saved us from being a .500 team or close to it. Yes, he can make any throw. He looks GREAT at times. But he simply doesn’t have that “it” factor and is simply just not consistent enough. He is not worth the money they are paying him. The rams will rise and fall as consistently as Jared Goff does. Cause that’s what it all depends on right now. 

My hope is that he'll build some confidence over the last 5 games and be hot going into the playoffs. We can't have this turnover machine version of him. And we know he can be much better than this. He's just not consistent.

So my assessment of today was offense bad besides Akers mini spark. I personally dont want Greg Jennings to call another Rams game. He called the Dolphins game the Rams offense stunk. He called the Niners game the Rams offense stunk. Nothing about either game made me say they were decent. 7 turnovers, a pick 6, a fumble return for a td, a special teams td. Greg Jennings PLEASE turn down the Rams games. Let Tiki Barber call Rams games. Anyone other than Greg Jennings. 

Anyways, Goff he has to play better. I dont know how he has become a turnover machine because the first year and a half with McVay he wasnt turning the ball over much. Now he is turning the ball over like crazy. Its not like he is playing any differently. I can see if he ran through all kinds of coaches that was telling him all types of things to get him to play all types of ways. He has had one coach in McVay. The skill positions heck even the OL has practically been the same. He will bounce back and have a better game against the Cards but this was a game to forget. He missed Henderson wide open for a td. He hit Henderson on that same play in the Eagles game. He has to make that throw. Curious on that last possession why McVay didnt try to mix in the run some understanding if they didnt get a first down at least the Niners wouldnt have too much time left. Every second counts. 

The running game went from top 10 to the last two weeks being non existent besides one run by Akers. I get no Whit but Ill go back to Gurley's rookie season the Rams had a terrible OL and they still was 7th in the NFL in rushing. This OL is better than 2015 without Whit so I expect the Rams to still have some success on the ground but they havent. Now mainly that has to do with the Bucs and Niners run defense being legit but the Rams rushing offense has been exceptional all season long besides the past two weeks. They have to get back to doing that. McVay need to cut the bull out and just run one or two backs out there. Backs need to get in a rhythm. Remember the Titans having Henry and Murray and their coach kept trying to rotate both backs. It wasnt working. The second the new coach Vrabel came in and decided to feature Henry as the main back thats when Henry thrived along with the running game becoming dominant. So McVay need to cut the crap about riding the hot hand rotating three backs. Let it be Akers and Henderson as the main guys and go from there.

The defense played amazing. I thought at the end it was a product of them possibly wearing down plus Mullens finally making some plays. Afterall he is a professional QB. If he cant look good on at least one possession in a game he shouldnt be in the NFL. Unfortunately the one possession he looked good was the most important possession of the game. Thats how it goes I guess. But again it shouldve never came down to that if the offense didnt wet the bed. I said it once Ill say it again, it sounds like an excuse but the Rams for the second time faced the Niners the week after traveling across country. The first meeting from Buffalo after a heartbreaking loss which the Rams shouldve won if it wasnt for a bad DPI call. This time after a big MNF win against most experts Superbowl favorites coming out of the NFC. Short week, the Niners had a BYE so they had rest and extra time to prepare. Most importantly the Niners have confident because they swept the Rams last season and beat them earlier this season.

Overall though this loss doesnt change how I feel about the Rams moving forward. As bad as they played they still had a chance to win the game and thats really all I can ask for every game. Its tough to when in the NFL. I know we look at say Rams should beat the Niners, should beat the Dolphins, etc.. but its tough to win games period. A team might look bad this week and look great next week. Raiders almost swept the Chiefs then come back this week and get blown out by the Falcons. The same Falcons team who looked helpless against the Saints last week. So its tough but the Rams is a team that I think will still be there with a chance to get into the NFCCG. Not saying they will get to the NFCCG but they will have a shot. Its just demoralizing to get swept by this Niners team. It just shows how deep the Niners are on their roster especially on defense and that they are well coached. They remind me of the Spurs years ago. They would rest Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili and still beat teams. They were just deep and well coached.  The Niners just have the Rams number. The good news is the Rams have the Seahawks and Cards number in the NFC West and outside of the division the Rams have the Saints number. So next week just got alot bigger with the Rams and the Cards. Plus tomorrow night hopefully the Eagles and pull one out so the Rams can stay atop of the NFC West. FLY EAGLES FLY!!! 

Edited by stl4life07

2 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

The thing with Goff is that he can't step up when he's playing bad. 

Once he start playing bad at the beginning of the game you can be sure he will still play bad during all the game. 

He can't change that....there's no, he play bad in the 1st half and then suddenly he playing great in the 2nd half. 

Tonight there's wasn't even 1 drive that he was playing great or good.... 

We are lucky to have a great defense this season. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Exactly. Anyone with the notion that we would just “move on” in any of the next couple of years, especially with a compromised Salary Cap due to COVID, is out of their mind. 

Rober Saleh just has this teams number. And the sooner he is a Head Coach outside this division the better. 

Nobody said that we have to compromise out salary cap. We can find someone in rounds 2-6

But how many years should it take a for “franchise” QB to get better? Dude has 16tds and 10 ints this season. He’s on pace to match last years numbers

11 turnovers in the last 4 games.

he’s not good enough to overcome shortcomings of the team. And he’s slow in the head. He’s got that Eli Manning look 

McVay has been super patient with him but even McVay is running thin

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Once he start playing bad at the beginning of the game you can be sure he will still play bad during all the game. 

He can't change that....there's no, he play bad in the 1st half and then suddenly he playing great in the 2nd half. 

Goff had 4 drives he played well. The first drive the Rams picked up 2 first downs moving the ball and then Brown fumbled. I think the second drive Goff was moving the ball down the field but the Rams had to settle for a field goal. Right before the half the Rams were moving the ball down the field before Goff fumbled. Then on the other field goal Goff hit Woods then Kupp on that big 30+yd. So Goff did look good on almost a handful of drives. 

I disagree too that once Goff starts playing bad at the beginning he plays bad all game long. The Saints game in the NFCCG was a perfect example. Down 0-13 and the offense looking horrible. Rams outscored the Saints 26-10 from the 2nd quarter on and Goff bad big time throws in that game to help that comeback. Ill also look at the Packers game that same season. First half the Rams only had 8pts total. The second half Goff and the offense did a great job and outscored the Packers 21-17 to win. Oh and have you not forgotten the Saints game that same season where the Rams were down by 21pts. Goff through two interceptions in the 1st half. Then on the arm of Goff the Rams can storming back to tie the game up 28-28 in the 4th quarter? Buffalo this season the offense couldnt get anything going and then in the 2nd half Goff led the Rams to 4 straight td possessions and had the Rams with the lead before a bs DPI call that cost the Rams the game. So I dont know what the narrative is that if Goff looks bad early he will stay looking bad. Its heighten because the Rams dont lose much so when they do its mainly because of Goff looking bad but I just laid out alot of games where Goff looked bad early then played well in the 2nd half.

Also, I glad you made your presence again because I didnt see you after the Rams beat the Bucs lol. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

My hope is that he'll build some confidence over the last 5 games and be hot going into the playoffs. We can't have this turnover machine version of him. And we know he can be much better than this. He's just not consistent.

I agree, I know he can play better. It’s just not fair for Mcvay or the team to have to guess which Goff will show up. I hope Mcvay doesn’t lose confidence in Goff.. but I wouldn’t blame him if he did or has. It’s hard to call plays when you can’t trust the guy that needs to run them. 

11 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Yeah I can’t argue that because he hasn’t shown the ability to do so. If I had seen it with my own eyes once or twice I’d say that’s not true but.. it is.

We were home against a team that basically couldn’t practice all week and were beat up and he couldn’t take advantage. There was no traveling excuse, no bad play calling excuse, no nothing. Its late in the year and it’s time to show up to make a run at the playoffs. We didn’t have a run game, yet we pay a guy top money to not over come that? Last week he did way better than usual without a run game, and yet still tossed two picks. He’s been picked off by lineman 3 times now this year. which is insane if you really think about how often that happens 

11 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Nobody said that we have to compromise out salary cap. We can find someone in rounds 2-6

But how many years should it take a for “franchise” QB to get better? Dude has 16tds and 10 ints this season. He’s on pace to match last years numbers

11 turnovers in the last 4 games.

he’s not good enough to overcome shortcomings of the team. And he’s slow in the head. He’s got that Eli Manning look 

McVay has been super patient with him but even McVay is running thin

Eli won two Super Bowls. It'll take a miracle to find somebody after Round 1.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Goff had 4 drives he played well. The first drive the Rams picked up 2 first downs moving the ball and then Brown fumbled. I think the second drive Goff was moving the ball down the field but the Rams had to settle for a field goal. Right before the half the Rams were moving the ball down the field before Goff fumbled. Then on the other field goal Goff hit Woods then Kupp on that big 30+yd. So Goff did look good on almost a handful of drives. 

I disagree too that once Goff starts playing bad at the beginning he plays bad all game long. The Saints game in the NFCCG was a perfect example. Down 0-13 and the offense looking horrible. Rams outscored the Saints 26-10 from the 2nd quarter on and Goff bad big time throws in that game to help that comeback. Ill also look at the Packers game that same season. First half the Rams only had 8pts total. The second half Goff and the offense did a great job and outscored the Packers 21-17 to win. Oh and have you not forgotten the Saints game that same season where the Rams were down by 21pts. Goff through two interceptions in the 1st half. Then on the arm of Goff the Rams can storming back to tie the game up 28-28 in the 4th quarter? Buffalo this season the offense couldnt get anything going and then in the 2nd half Goff led the Rams to 4 straight td possessions and had the Rams with the lead before a bs DPI call that cost the Rams the game. So I dont know what the narrative is that if Goff looks bad early he will stay looking bad. Its heighten because the Rams dont lose much so when they do its mainly because of Goff looking bad but I just laid out alot of games where Goff looked bad early then played well in the 2nd half.

Also, I glad you made your presence again because I didnt see you after the Rams beat the Bucs lol. 

I get what you’re doing... but you can’t keep going back to the same game for every argument. The championship game is way way  in the past. In that year, Goff looked great. And then he played the bears and was never the same. We all know he can do great things on occasion. But he never does consistently. No one is here to argue that he can’t make every throw, cause he can. But he isn’t consistent. There was 0 excuses for this week. None. He lost this game. 

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Eli won two Super Bowls. It'll take a miracle to find somebody after Round 1.

That’s what I’m saying. We may even make it to the Super Bowl with Goff this season but the more he keeps playing like this, the less I see him long term with us. 

Wonder what it would take to get Stafford from Detroit?