From "The Guy of the Guy"

KingTitan

Arthur leaving (if it happens), will sting, but Vrabel clearly has a preferred system and as long as we can poach a competent coach from the same tree, we should be ok. 

Hump was always gone. Unless Arthur leaves and we have a complete upheaval of the current offensive system, a pure slot doesn’t have a big enough role in this offense to justify the salary.

Given our love of tight ends and Vrabel’s constant praise of Jonnu over the last two years, it makes sense to make him the priority. Have absolutely nothing behind CD at receiver though. Letting him walk probably means we have to spend some money in FA and at least a Day 2 pick at WR. Shame we didn’t just draft CD’s replacement last year instead of that 360 pound waste of space.

7 hours ago, KingTitan said:

From the guy

Internal rumors

Arthur Smith is the Falcon's target. They have been asking around about him. 

Rumors of Matt Patricia joining the crew next year. 

Some back talk from personnel people wondering what it would take to get Watt next year. 

Between Jonnu, Davis and Jayon, Jonnu is the one most likely to coming back. 

Hump heading towards cap cut. 

Robinson eager to get back to his scouting formula with free agents and draft. Internally he knows he failed this season. 

Wilson has little to no support in the building because of reported issues and some not reported. 

I figured Patricia would be our DC candidate and I’m ok with that. Had some good defenses in NE and better then what we got going right now.

Smith is the best option to bring back especially with how Long has been playing.

Hump didn’t really have an impact so a cap cut makes the most sense and the slot class is deep this year

Watt is a pipe dream doubt that’s happens.

I honestly don’t wanna lose Art, who would be his replacement?

7 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Arthur leaving (if it happens), will sting, but Vrabel clearly has a preferred system and as long as we can poach a competent coach from the same tree, we should be ok. 

Hump was always gone. Unless Arthur leaves and we have a complete upheaval of the current offensive system, a pure slot doesn’t have a big enough role in this offense to justify the salary.

Given our love of tight ends and Vrabel’s constant praise of Jonnu over the last two years, it makes sense to make him the priority. Have absolutely nothing behind CD at receiver though. Letting him walk probably means we have to spend some money in FA and at least a Day 2 pick at WR. Shame we didn’t just draft CD’s replacement last year instead of that 360 pound waste of space.

what's the tree, though?

Our offensive coaching staff is a bit of a mish-mosh. LeFleur didn't bring any of "his guys" (if memory serves). Art isn't from that "tree," but didn't re-invent the wheel of the offense LeFleur was running/wanted to run

Maybe it's Pat O'Hara for continuity? I don't know who could be a sensible "outside hire" that has history with this offense. (maybe there is someone, I just don't know who he is)

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

what's the tree, though?

Our offensive coaching staff is a bit of a mish-mosh. LeFleur didn't bring any of "his guys" (if memory serves). Art isn't from that "tree," but didn't re-invent the wheel of the offense LeFleur was running/wanted to run

Maybe it's Pat O'Hara for continuity? I don't know who could be a sensible "outside hire" that has history with this offense. (maybe there is someone, I just don't know who he is)

The tree is essentially just the Shanahan tree. It’s where LaFleur came from and even if it’s not where Art comes from, it’s pretty clear that our entire offense is just an extension of it.

Part of me wonders if Shanahan would let us interview Mike LaFleur given that our OC spot has suddenly turned into a giant springboard for coaches.

9 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The tree is essentially just the Shanahan tree. It’s where LaFleur came from and even if it’s not where Art comes from, it’s pretty clear that our entire offense is just an extension of it.

Part of me wonders if Shanahan would let us interview Mike LaFleur given that our OC spot has suddenly turned into a giant springboard for coaches.

Yeah of course regarding the Shanahan tree - I just mean that our current staff doesn't have any more ties to it (I don't think)

Vrabel tends to bring on "his guys". Tends to. I would personally be surprised if we plucked another assistant from that tree somewhere. Would be happy if he did, obviously. But a little surprised.

edit -- obviously LeFleur was not 'his guy'. neither was Art. we shall see...maybe he's more open to not hire his drinking buddies on the offensive side of the ball compared to the defense

Edited by deeluxx3

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Yeah of course regarding the Shanahan tree - I just mean that our current staff doesn't have any more ties to it (I don't think)

Vrabel tends to bring on "his guys". Tends to. I would personally be surprised if we plucked another assistant from that tree somewhere. Would be happy if he did, obviously. But a little surprised.

That’s mostly just been a defensive thing (in terms of both assistant coaches and the players). He had no connection with LaFleur, Arthur was a carryover from previous coaching staffs. None of the FA signings on that side of the ball have been from Houston or NE.

There’s probably some sort of lesson for Vrabel to learn in that. The side of the ball that he hasn’t packed with friends and old acquaintances is one of the best in the league while his defense is a complete disaster. Weird how that works.

9 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

If Arthur is hired away do you guys think we'll take the no OC approach next year?

i think first option is to promote from within.. vrabel is a loyal guy... he will give his own guys a shot first before bringing in an outsider.. i would look at the qb coach and tony dews, the rb coach.. he might be the best rb coach in the league and has been for some time.. certainly top 5 from how i hear certain reporters talk about him..

6 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Actually, I forgot O’Hara came over from Houston, so I guess he’s the most likely option lol.

o'hara's only history as an offensive coordinator was in the arena football league, lol. we're going air raid, baby!!!

24 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

No thanks to Watt btw.

I think he's still good but I'm not giving up picks and paying 17.5m to a guy who's gotten double digit sacks only once in the past 5 years.

Plus dad doesn't like him.

I would think it would be more in a lower pay scale. $6-7 Million cap hit maybe. You don't sign him thinking your problems are solved. I'd think sign him, draft a guy and a lower draft pick/FA to fill it out. 

Lewan will like whoever is on his team. lol

But again, I wouldn't take that as a target. But a person of interest if things lined up right. Much needed Vet on the D-Line. Hard worker, knows Vrabel and pretty much everyone there. I'm sure it would be something everyone there would think about and wouldn't mind. But won't bend over backwards for.