2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

I just hate paying for back-up QB's. If we can get one on like 4/5 mil a year fine. But paying 10/12 mil for a guy you don't want to play actually just doesn't make sense to me. Grab someone with a day three pick every year or every other year is so much more cost effective. I get it from a if you main QB gets hurt you have a better chance with a guy like Dalton or Taylor but give me the potential upside every day of the week and if you strike gold you have a nice trade chip or a replacement for your starter.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I just hate paying for back-up QB's. If we can get one on like 4/5 mil a year fine. But paying 10/12 mil for a guy you don't want to play actually just doesn't make sense to me. Grab someone with a day three pick every year or every other year is so much more cost effective. I get it from a if you main QB gets hurt you have a better chance with a guy like Dalton or Taylor but give me the potential upside every day of the week and if you strike gold you have a nice trade chip or a replacement for your starter.

Yep, I'm a 3-5 million type guy, call it a day. 

Honestly, I thought Glennon looked fine last year. Not great, but if you're going to pay him 2.5 million, I actually feel better about him back there than Mullens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

Looks like Takk McKinley signed with the Browns. I was a little put off by his weird tweets last year after he kept getting cut, but I was willing to kick the tires on him assuming he is healthy. Oh well, onto the next.  

I didn't think those tweets were weird, they were self deprecating and hilarious. 

I am with you though, I would have been excited to sign him. I'm pleased with ebukam though but we still have a need at DE

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Apparently just about his ACL rehab.

Yeah, that was my impression too considering how TF could a new team be the 2nd act, when it would be team #3? Lol 

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

I didn't think those tweets were weird, they were self deprecating and hilarious. 

Alright, they were pretty funny. But it isn't generally you want to see from a guy who just called out his team on multiple occasions while he was under contract. Made me question if there was something going on mentally with him. It wouldn't be the first time a young NFL player just when batty. I'm trying to remember the guys name, but there was a running back from Auburn I think that the Rams drafted, that just completely lost it.  

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

I am with you though, I would have been excited to sign him. I'm pleased with ebukam though but we still have a need at DE

Yeah, that was my impression too considering how TF could a new team be the 2nd act, when it would be team #3? Lol 

Just curious, which De's would you take in the first or second? (Assuming we resign Trent and a Center)

40 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

A lot of these deals are "upto $10 million" or so. So thats probably the max with all incentives. 

EG when Cam re-signed with the Pats, it was "upto" $12 or 13 million or something, but his base is $4.9 million and the rest are incentives tied to being a pro-bowler, all-pro, making the playoffs, super bowl, etc 

So with Winston, Fitz, Taylor, Brissett, & Dalton signing elsewhere....i guess that leaves Trubisky as the best backup option. 

3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

A lot of these deals are "upto $10 million" or so. So thats probably the max with all incentives. 

EG when Cam re-signed with the Pats, it was "upto" $12 or 13 million or something, but his base is $4.9 million and the rest are incentives tied to being a pro-bowler, all-pro, making the playoffs, super bowl, etc 

So with Winston, Fitz, Taylor, Brissett, & Dalton signing elsewhere....i guess that leaves Trubisky as the best backup option. 

But still that money is counted against this years cap if i recall correctly. You get it back for next year in rollback though if they don't hit it.

2 minutes ago, mrscottso said:

Just curious, which De's would you take in the first or second? (Assuming we resign Trent and a Center)

First round, none. 

Second round, Ossai is probably the highest person on my list who may feasibly be available there. Not sure what his upside though....raw, but has a motor. Needs more strength and needs actual coaching. I don't love the top of the edge class at all. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

But still that money is counted against this years cap if i recall correctly. You get it back for next year in rollback though if they don't hit it.

I've gotten varying reports on that. That is how I have always treated it, however. That's who we ended up getting like 13 million in space a couple of weeks ago 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I've gotten varying reports on that. That is how I have always treated it, however. That's who we ended up getting like 13 million in space a couple of weeks ago 

Might be a language and type of bonus thing if it counts. With the way contracts are going its so hard to judge a deal on face value.