Week 14 GDT - Broncos at Panthers

broncosfan_101

Finding wide open receivers shouldn't be a criticism, surely? It's a skill for a QB to either identify presnap where the WR is, or to find the open WR via read progression. Most of the guys Patrick Mahomes throws to are open; that is part of being an NFL QB.

Ironically, this has been maybe the biggest criticism of Drew this year (certainly from me), so I am definitely going to praise him when he finds the open guys.

3 new starters on the OL, down his #1 TE (and leading receiver this year), down his #1 WR and he still 4 TDs - sorry, but if you don't give Drew his props in this game then you have an agenda. That is a fact. This is the NFL - to play that well against anyone is a really good achievement and should generate at least some excitement.

I think anyone who has read my reviews this year knows I am not that high on Drew, but he took some real step forwards yesterday. Consistency is the key as @germ-x pointed out. Saturday is going to be an IMMENSE test. If he can continue to show progression in that game then we might have a little something.

One final mention from me before film review - that slant-go from Jeudy ................... YEESH. He sent that CB to the shops to his grocery shop I think

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 6

I think it's important for a young QB who has a OC who helps him, not throws him into the fire.

You can tell in the last 2 weeks Shurmers playcalling has been much different. Much better run/pass balance. Almost like running to set up the pass and the pass plays that are called are designed to go to one or two guys. 

Not a whole lot of 3step drop, read the field and fine the open guy which lock was bad at.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think it's important for a young QB who has a OC who helps him, not throws him into the fire.

You can tell in the last 2 weeks Shurmers playcalling has been much different. Much better run/pass balance. Almost like running to set up the pass and the pass plays that are called are designed to go to one or two guys. 

Not a whole lot of 3step drop, read the field and fine the open guy which lock was bad at.

Again, I haven’t been able to watch many games this season (thanks COVID) but does it seem like shurmur has gone more old school WCO like what Scangs was doing last year when Drew was successful? Perhaps we’re not trying to put a square peg into a round hole the last couple weeks and drew is actually playing to his strengths?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Again, I haven’t been able to watch many games this season (thanks COVID) but does it seem like shurmur has gone more old school WCO like what Scangs was doing last year when Drew was successful? Perhaps we’re not trying to put a square peg into a round hole the last couple weeks and drew is actually playing to his strengths?

Exactly, that's why all of these QBs who run the Shannahan bootleg offense often play over their heads. It's because it's not a hard offense to run. Its made guys like Garoppolo, Cousins and Mayfield turn in the best years of their careers.

Those type of offenses are designed to get 1 guy open with a secondary option. It declutters the QBs head when making reads. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

My main concern is that our best runs are power runs from shotgun, and our best passing plays are off play action from under Center. The two don't always work perfectly hand in hand and we are a tad predictable at times.

However, Shurmur has started to get creative with the screen game, ran plenty of motion and added in little wrinkles to our shotgun passing game to get more short stuff going.

Phil killed it last year in the zone running game. It's so disappointing that he can't get going this year.

29 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

My main concern is that our best runs are power runs from shotgun, and our best passing plays are off play action from under Center. The two don't always work perfectly hand in hand and we are a tad predictable at times.

However, Shurmur has started to get creative with the screen game, ran plenty of motion and added in little wrinkles to our shotgun passing game to get more short stuff going.

Phil killed it last year in the zone running game. It's so disappointing that he can't get going this year.

It's week 14 and I have yet to see a quick slant to Jerry Jeudy with his route running ability

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It's week 14 and I have yet to see a quick slant to Jerry Jeudy with his route running ability

Yep. Preaching to the choir here, bud. 

Drew's accuracy is not good on in routes but you have to throw that route when you have Jeudy, Hamler and Patrick who are all (in different ways) good on short routes coming back to the QB.

For all the despair about Lock's play vs. OAK (and since his return from injury) & the lack of faith in the O vs KC, one game doesn't erase those concerns as valid.   It's just at least we see progress.    If Lock falls flat on his face vs. BUF & LAC, though - it's going to be hard for the doubts to come roaring back, especially understanding how limited CAR's D is.

I think what this W for sure does - eliminates the rookie Rd1 option for 2021.  I still think at the very least, we'll see a Fitz-like vet signing.   First of all, because it's likely the FO won't be close to 100 percent sold Lock is the guy, and competition isn't a bad thing (as long as we don't break the bank).    Secondly, no way we sniff a rookie who's anything but a project where we end up drafting (and TBH, after Lawrence, even Fields is a project, given only 5-6 games of play this year, and only 1-2 against tough competition).   Elway & Fangio's hot seat status is white hot next year, no way they're going to go through that with a rookie project who needs time.

Most importantly, even if Lock is the 2021 starting QB, the need to have a quality backup who can win games in 3-4 game stretches is paramount in the next stage.   I've always held that we've been a pretender and never a true contender - and until we address QB, that's likely going to remain the case.   But turning it around, not having a viable backup plan to win games is nuts for 2021.  Lock's injury history alone means we have to have a better plan going in for 2021.   I don't want a stopgap who's on the downhill slope of his career though (cough *Flacco* cough), or a guy with a meh ceiling (cough *Keenum* cough).    Fitzmagic (he's old, but his skill set is unchanged, as imperfect as it is), Winston, sure.  Darnold's play doesn't merit more than a 3rd round pick now (and remember, he's only cheap for 2021). 

If Lock falls on his face the next 3 games, then we're in a tough spot of likely bringing in a vet with a mind they're likely taking over, minus the most improbable offseason of Lock's short career.   But unless he goes HAM the next 3 games, I think we're seeing a vet QB join the fold in 2021.

Edited by Broncofan

21 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

If you’re rolling with Drew (the most likely scenario), Fitzpatrick is the perfect guy to bring in. Decades of experience, allows Lock to get all the first team reps but gives you a chance to win games and move the ball if Drew flops. 

Or, when he gets hurt.

5 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

If you’re rolling with Drew (the most likely scenario), Fitzpatrick is the perfect guy to bring in. Decades of experience, allows Lock to get all the first team reps but gives you a chance to win games and move the ball if Drew flops. 

Personally I think that's a great way to go. A mentor for Drew and a "starter quality" backup. 

15 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This route was helped set up by Lock. CAR was blitzing, so the corner was jumping the first break. Lock made a pre-snap read that the OL was gonna be able to pick everyone up, and he hung in there long enough for Jeudy to absolutely rinse the DB.

Also, this was neat. Identifying a shot worth taking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

This route was helped set up by Lock. CAR was blitzing, so the corner was jumping the first break. Lock made a pre-snap read that the OL was gonna be able to pick everyone up, and he hung in there long enough for Jeudy to absolutely rinse the DB.

Also, this was neat. Identifying a shot worth taking.

[snark] But surely it doesn’t matter since Hamler was wide open? [end_snark]

I have been hesitant to post this year, as the only games I’ve actually seen are Tenn and KC.  While I’ve listened to all the games and enjoy going through Lomax’s analysis, I hate to comment when I can’t watch. 

Having  said that, I hope that we see enough from Lock these last 3 games that we give him 1 more year to prove himself.  I have no idea if he’s the guy or not.  I do think he’s shown enough to show that he has a CHANCE to be the guy. He has his moments.  He has the arm.  He has the athleticism. He appears to have the leadership. He did make real progress from preseason to when he started last year.  He SEEMS to maybe be making progress these past couple of games. 

It seems to be that perhaps he isnt the fastest learner.  And for a guy like that to go through, what, 6 OC in 6 years, that would be hard for any QB.  

Again, I don’t know if he’s the guy, but I do believe he COULD be.  And after Lawrence, nobody is certain in this draft.  And frankly, neither are any of the available Free Agents.  So let’s roll the dice, give the guy the first continuity he has ever had, let the rookies mature around him, get a full off-season as a starter under his belt, and see if Shurmer has learned how to tailor the offense to his strengths.  Will he succeed? Don’t know.  But none of the other realistic options are sure things either.

Looking forward to being able to watch the Bills game.  I think it will tell us a lot. 

Edited by DiehardBronxFan
Fixed typo