Week 14 GDT - Broncos at Panthers

broncosfan_101

2 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

I have been hesitant to post this year, as the only games I’ve actually seen are Tenn and KC.  While I’ve listened to all the games and enjoy going through Lomax’s analysis, I hate to comment when I can’t watch. 

Having  said that, I hope that we see enough from Lock these last 3 games that we give him 1 more year to prove himself.  I have no idea if he’s the guy or not.  I do think he’s shown enough to show that he has a CHANCE to be the guy. He has his moments.  He has the arm.  He has the athleticism. He appears to have the leadership. He did make real progress from preseason to when he started last year.  He SEEMS to maybe be making progress these past couple of games. 

It seems to be that perhaps he isnt the fastest learner.  And for a guy like that to go through, what, 6 OC in 6 years, that would be hard for any QB.  

Again, I don’t know if he’s the guy, but I do believe he COULD be.  And after Lawrence, nobody is certain in this draft.  And frankly, neither are any of the available Free Agents.  So let’s roll the dice, give the guy the first continuity he has ever had, let the rookies mature around him, get a full off-season as a starter under his belt, and see if Shurmer has learned how to tailor the offense to his strengths.  Will he succeed? Don’t know.  But none of the other realistic options are sure things either.

Looking forward to being able to watch the Bills game.  I think it will tell us a lot. 

You may want to try what I do. I haven't seen a game this year, only a couple on radio. I follow it though on ESPN's gamecast, gives you a different feel for the game. Within a few hours you can pick up full game highlights, every play, on youtube. 

The videos are around 7 minutes per quarter. Anyway, add that to Lomax's review and you've got it pretty much covered.

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I am hoping to absolutely blitz the film review on Thursday and Friday. Work is really busy at the moment unfortunately. I still haven't watched the 4th quarter of the Chiefs game which I would like to do, but won't be writing notes on it. 

Really appreciate all of your work and insight this season! 

• Like 4

As a Josey Jewell naysayer, I must say, he’s been quite good the last 4-5 games, maybe more. I think the first KC game was the last time I remember being disappointed with his play. I still think he has a ceiling of ‘average starter,’ but average starters are very useful, and that’s what he is right now. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

As a Josey Jewell naysayer, I must say, he’s been quite good the last 4-5 games, maybe more. I think the first KC game was the last time I remember being disappointed with his play. I still think he has a ceiling of ‘average starter,’ but average starters are very useful, and that’s what he is right now. 

That's what I like about you never afraid to admit you're wrong. I think I am surprised as well that Todd Davis release doesn't look shocking at all now.

Jewell's emergence is an extension of what Davis gave this team for a few years with maybe a slightly higher ceiling. The play is steady enough that you don't NEED to upgrade. You could probably elevate the ceiling of the defense if you did upgrade and find a better athlete, but it's not a glaring hole you have to address to keep the defense playing at a high level. AJ and Jewell can run it back next year and you wouldn't be worried. Strnad seemed to be in line for a big role and he'll be back too.

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Jewell's emergence is an extension of what Davis gave this team for a few years with maybe a slightly higher ceiling. The play is steady enough that you don't NEED to upgrade. You could probably elevate the ceiling of the defense if you did upgrade and find a better athlete, but it's not a glaring hole you have to address to keep the defense playing at a high level. AJ and Jewell can run it back next year and you wouldn't be worried. Strnad seemed to be in line for a big role and he'll be back too.

Yeah, there was a lot of optimism with Strnad in camp.  Fangio wanted Queen in this past draft.  I think ILB will be a priority in 2021 and it’s a strong class.  Fangio defenses typically operate with elite ILBs.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Yeah, there was a lot of optimism with Strnad in camp.  Fangio wanted Queen in this past draft.  I think ILB will be a priority in 2021 and it’s a strong class.  Fangio defenses typically operate with elite ILBs.

Strnad dropped bc of injuries in college I don't think you can bank on him

17 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Strnad dropped bc of injuries in college I don't think you can bank on him

No I don’t think so either.  He was a 6th round pick, you can’t bank on that regardless of injuries.  He did seem to be flashing though and seemed to have a role.

Fangio is picky with his ILB’s as well.  He reportedly didn’t have Devin White or Devin Bush in the same class as Roquan Smith.  

I know many are against him as an HC.  Very well may be right, but part of being an HC is evaluating talent and having a say on picks.  I think he’s just an old school guy that gets football.  I don’t think he needs all the analytics and what not.  He can see the fit and the future product.

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

He has been less donkey brained. 

21 hours ago, AKRNA said:

You may want to try what I do. I haven't seen a game this year, only a couple on radio. I follow it though on ESPN's gamecast, gives you a different feel for the game. Within a few hours you can pick up full game highlights, every play, on youtube. 

The videos are around 7 minutes per quarter. Anyway, add that to Lomax's review and you've got it pretty much covered.

Thanks. I’ll check it out!

On 12/15/2020 at 7:39 PM, germ-x said:

No I don’t think so either.  He was a 6th round pick, you can’t bank on that regardless of injuries.  He did seem to be flashing though and seemed to have a role.

Fangio is picky with his ILB’s as well.  He reportedly didn’t have Devin White or Devin Bush in the same class as Roquan Smith.  

I know many are against him as an HC.  Very well may be right, but part of being an HC is evaluating talent and having a say on picks.  I think he’s just an old school guy that gets football.  I don’t think he needs all the analytics and what not.  He can see the fit and the future product.

Strnad is a good player, he'll definitely have a role on this team. The LB play this year has been better than any of us likely could have predicted. AJ is a very solid player- no doubt about it. He'll be around. Jewell has definitely been a pleasant surprise. Happy to see he's playing at a level a lot of us were looking forward to when he was drafted.

All that said, this is a stacked LB class. TBH, it would not shock me if we take Micah Parsons if we're in a position to do so. In my opinion, he's one of the best LBs to come out in 5 years, maybe the best. He'd be a perfect fit in this defense.