2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:

We are Bowman's first choice. The team had a deal in place with the Saints, and the Panthers were considering a trade.  He was released because he wanted to pick his own team, and the 49ers granted him that as a reward for his service.  

He wants to go to a contender and it says a lot that the Raiders and Cowboys are his top 2 choices when there are other teams willing to trade for him.

The Raiders don't really count because he doesn't have to go that far to meet with them.  Certainly he has some interest but I wonder if he would if they weren't so close.  I get that he might not want to move far away.

The Cowboys are the first team he agreed to meet that wasn't in his back yard. Which leads me to believe we are his first choice.

I'm looking at us giving up well over 100 yards per game on the ground, over 320 rsh yards allowed the last 2 weeks alone without Sean Lee, and I don't know how you let Bowman leave Dallas without a deal.  We are 25th in the league giving up 4.6 yards per carry. I don't care if he lost something in coverage. Can he still thump?

Well I don't see how it could hurt us since we really suck, So I am all in. 

29 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Well I don't see how it could hurt us since we really suck, So I am all in. 

How are we Bowmans first choice when he just signed with Oakland?

Again, be realistic. It was not a good fit. The price was better than I expected (3m only) but he isnt going to upgrade Mike. Is he a better overall player than Hitch? Yes, likely so. But is he going to play this systems Mike well? No.

He would have been on the field for 15-25 snaps, played the Sam mostly, played special teams, and maybe seen some Mike duties in goal line/short yardage. Just not a good fit for him.

Sf's new system requires the inside backers to cover and variate zones on the flat and the middle. Bowman shined when he could chase the ball freely and blitz. Theres a reason they drafted Foster. And its not because Bowman is getting old at only 29. 

In Oakland, he will get to chase the ball and hunt running backs. He will do well there.

I wasn't really where else to put this, but I thought it was kind of interesting.

So far in 2017, the New York Jets have 7 sacks in 6 games, putting them on pace for a whopping 18.7. That would've been 32nd in the NFL in 2016. Wow. Awful. The Dallas Cowboys have 16 sacks in 5 games, putting them on pace for 51.2. That would've been 1st in the NFL in 2016. Wow. Amazing.

That's not all. All 7 of the Jets' sacks have come from linebackers and defensive backs, whereas all 16 of the Cowboys' sacks have come from defensive linemen. So this must mean the Jets are blitzing and getting burned all the time while the Cowboys are playing sound, 7-man coverage and winning with 4 up front. Based on what we know about NFL defense, this makes the Cowboys the better unit, right?

And yet, they aren't. Apart from sacks, the Jets' pass defense is better than that of the Cowboys' by any statistical measure of note. By DVOA, passer rating, completion yardage, YPA, and pure, simple, INT total, the Jets have an objectively better pass defense than the Cowboys. Interesting.

So the next time any of us say "LBs/DBs are useless without investment on the DL" or "it's not the scheme, it's the talent", consider that we may not know everything about modern NFL defense. Because, frankly, the Cowboys are executing the Marinelli game plan to a T- rush with 4, play conservative on the back end; win up front, don't give up the big play. And despite getting sacks at a generally unprecedented rate during his tenure here, and giving up almost no big plays, we're getting torched.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:32 PM, matt79511 said:

I wasn't really where else to put this, but I thought it was kind of interesting.

So far in 2017, the New York Jets have 7 sacks in 6 games, putting them on pace for a whopping 18.7. That would've been 32nd in the NFL in 2016. Wow. Awful. The Dallas Cowboys have 16 sacks in 5 games, putting them on pace for 51.2. That would've been 1st in the NFL in 2016. Wow. Amazing.

That's not all. All 7 of the Jets' sacks have come from linebackers and defensive backs, whereas all 16 of the Cowboys' sacks have come from defensive linemen. So this must mean the Jets are blitzing and getting burned all the time while the Cowboys are playing sound, 7-man coverage and winning with 4 up front. Based on what we know about NFL defense, this makes the Cowboys the better unit, right?

And yet, they aren't. Apart from sacks, the Jets' pass defense is better than that of the Cowboys' by any statistical measure of note. By DVOA, passer rating, completion yardage, YPA, and pure, simple, INT total, the Jets have an objectively better pass defense than the Cowboys. Interesting.

So the next time any of us say "LBs/DBs are useless without investment on the DL" or "it's not the scheme, it's the talent", consider that we may not know everything about modern NFL defense. Because, frankly, the Cowboys are executing the Marinelli game plan to a T- rush with 4, play conservative on the back end; win up front, don't give up the big play. And despite getting sacks at a generally unprecedented rate during his tenure here, and giving up almost no big plays, we're getting torched.

WOW! certainly puzzling. It really does dispel everything I have come to believe about getting to the QB. The only conclusion I could infer from this is that we, outside of getting to the QB, have become more of a reactionary defense instead of an attacking style of defense. Hence, we do not generate turnovers. We are content to give up short yardage passing and running plays by keeping the game in front of us. 

The problem we are having then is that our tackling is atrocious. Guys are getting the easy 3 and 4 yard plays but turning them into big gainers because we are not stopping them at the point of contact. 

I HATE this style of defense as it gives the opposing offense momentum and confidence. If they can create a size/speed mismatch, we are cooked. And it has been happening all season long.

If the consensus is that we ARE playing Marinelli's defense to a T, then we need a new defensive coordinator. Someone that emphasizes basics like tackling, shedding blocks and above all CREATING TURNOVERS! This is where we fall wayyyyyyyyy short.

It is no secret that out offense plays a ball control style of offense to protect our defense. That, by its very definition, is admitting our defense sucks and needs protection.

You think opposing offenses haven't figured this out? Their solution, stop the running game, put us in 3rd and long and you beat Dallas. 

Has anyone seen where our closest WR or TE is on in the league rankings so far this year? How about 54th, I believe. That sucks! That paired with where Dak is ranked, 24th overall.

Again, what this is saying that, in spite of Zeke being 6th in the rushing category, when we are pressed into a 3rd and long, often we do not convert. If we did, our QB and WR's SHOULD have a higher ranking.

Here is to hoping that the bye week got our defensive woes ironed out.

Latest Draft:

• Round 1: Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan 
  • Round 2: Malik Jefferson*, LB, Texas 
  • Round 3: James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State 
  • Round 4: Ade Aruna, DE, Tulane 
  • Round 4 (comp):  DeAndre Baker*, CB, Georgia 
  • Round 5: TRADED -- Xavier Woods
  • Round 5 (comp): Martez Carter, RB, Grambling 
  • Round 5 (comp): Bentley Spain, OT, North Carolina  
  • Round 5 (comp): Larry Allen Jr., G, Harvard 
  • Round 6:  Quinton Flowers*, QB, South Florida
  • Round 7: TRADED -- Jayrone Elliott

This isn't a draft that gets immediate impact. Hurst would be rotating in with Irving & Collins on the inside. Jefferson would be our starting SOLB to eventually replace Lee. Washington would play spot positions until he can become out #2 for a deep threat. Ade is raw, so would only really play on third down or obvious passing situations. Baker is great - but will be QB 4. Carter would be our third down back. Spain swing tackle. Allen as a swing OG. Flowers as QB 3. 

I expect us to lose Scan, Run DMC, and Morris. 

DLaw will get tagged. Randy will return. 

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Latest Draft:

This isn't a draft that gets immediate impact. Hurst would be rotating in with Irving & Collins on the inside. Jefferson would be our starting SOLB to eventually replace Lee. Washington would play spot positions until he can become out #2 for a deep threat. Ade is raw, so would only really play on third down or obvious passing situations. Baker is great - but will be QB 4. Carter would be our third down back. Spain swing tackle. Allen as a swing OG. Flowers as QB 3. 

Having Malik learn from Lee would help a lot. Malik needs to be taught some football tbh. I like James Washington in the 3rd we need a WR.

1 minute ago, romo2bryant said:

Having Malik learn from Lee would help a lot. Malik needs to be taught some football tbh. I like James Washington in the 3rd we need a WR.

Yeah, this draft really expands our window as we get a lot of young talent that can come in and develop to replace older talent - while still doing spot-contributions. 

5 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Latest Draft:

really like this draft. J W in rd 3 is a steal. I thought Larry Allen was injured or not eligible.

I'll be shocked if Washington makes it out of the top 50. Allen isn't playing football anymore to my knowledge or going to school. From my understanding he plans to return to school next year to finish his bioengineering degree.

Dallas also keeps that 7th rder. Elliott didn't make the team.

40 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I'll be shocked if Washington makes it out of the top 50. Allen isn't playing football anymore to my knowledge or going to school. From my understanding he plans to return to school next year to finish his bioengineering degree.

Dallas also keeps that 7th rder. Elliott didn't make the team.

Well, sure. Draft prospects never end up where we suspect they will. Using draft rankings until we get a better consensus. 

Results from my most recent mock:

Marcus Allen FS, Penn State (1st Round, 26th Overall Pick)
Lowell Lotulelei DT, Utah (2nd Round, 58th Overall Pick)
Tremaine Edmunds EDGE, Virginia Tech (3rd Round, 90th Overall Pick)
Sony Michel RB, Georgia (4th Round, 128th Overall Pick)
Hayden Hurst TE, South Carolina (4th Round, 136th Overall Pick)
Brandon Facyson CB, Virginia Tech (5th Round, 173rd Overall Pick)
Robert Foster WR, Alabama (5th Round, 176th Overall Pick)
David Bright OT, Stanford (6th Round, 204th Overall Pick)
Max Browne QB, Pittsburgh (6th Round, 213th Overall Pick)
Tegray Scales MLB, Indiana (7th Round, 248th Overall Pick)

1 hour ago, Desperado82 said:

Results from my most recent mock:

Marcus Allen FS, Penn State (1st Round, 26th Overall Pick)
Lowell Lotulelei DT, Utah (2nd Round, 58th Overall Pick)
Tremaine Edmunds EDGE, Virginia Tech (3rd Round, 90th Overall Pick)
Sony Michel RB, Georgia (4th Round, 128th Overall Pick)
Hayden Hurst TE, South Carolina (4th Round, 136th Overall Pick)
Brandon Facyson CB, Virginia Tech (5th Round, 173rd Overall Pick)
Robert Foster WR, Alabama (5th Round, 176th Overall Pick)
David Bright OT, Stanford (6th Round, 204th Overall Pick)
Max Browne QB, Pittsburgh (6th Round, 213th Overall Pick)
Tegray Scales MLB, Indiana (7th Round, 248th Overall Pick)

Sony Michel would be an awesome addition. 

On 10/22/2017 at 2:18 PM, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Latest Draft:

That’s a really nice draft.

Archived