2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

48 minutes ago, Dessie said:

He wasn’t a great fit in Norton’s defense was he?

I don't really remember what type of coverage was most commonly used by Norton. I remember Joseph mainly struggling with TE coverage early on.

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Isn't KNJ scheme essentially the same as Bradley's since they're both Pete Carrol disciples? The Seahawks defense has been decent with KNJ.

That’s what I’m saying. I like Joseph but it seemed he was a bad scheme fit at SS as he was having to match up with TEs. I’m not sure he is a good fit to play single high either tbh. Seems a meh signing. 

Edited by Dessie

Just now, Dessie said:

That’s what I’m saying. I like Joseph but it seemed he was a bad scheme fit as he was having to match up with TEs. I’m not sure he is a good fit to play single high either tbh. Seems a meh signing tbh. 

I think that was Joseph's downfall. He didn't have the range to play single high but was too small to be a box safety or cover TE. Was a massive reach at #14 when we took him coming off of a torn ACL. Pretty amazing that we've spent 1st/2nd round picks on DJ Hayden, Karl Joseph, Gareon Conley, Obi Melifonwu, Jonathan Abram, and Damon Arnette. 

We now have three SS’s in Abram, Joseph, and Heath. No, I don’t think Joseph is a FS. 

I do think Joseph is better than Abram, and an “ok” starter in the league. I’d bet Joseph takes Abrams job before half the season is complete, and some rookie starts at FS. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

We now have three SS’s in Abram, Joseph, and Heath. No, I don’t think Joseph is a FS. 

I do think Joseph is better than Abram, and an “ok” starter in the league. I’d bet Joseph takes Abrams job before half the season is complete, and some rookie starts at FS. 

I don’t see Joseph as better than Abram but would agree that he’s not a FS either. Not convinced he makes the roster. I’d still be looking for 2 safeties. 

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

I don’t see Joseph as better than Abram but would agree that he’s not a FS either. Not convinced he makes the roster. I’d still be looking for 2 safeties. 

Yeah this changes absolutely nothing for me draft wise. Hope it doesn’t change the draft for Mayock/Gruden though...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

There's no reason it should change anything draft wise. It's a stopgap signing at best.

I think it takes the Raiders out of taking a safety in round 1 or 2. A rotation of Abram, Joseph, and Heath is good enough where we can avoid reaching in the first or second.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

I think it takes the Raiders out of taking a safety in round 1 or 2. A rotation of Abram, Joseph, and Heath is good enough where we can avoid reaching in the first or second.

I agree it gives them more flexibility in the early rounds.

• Like 1

How do you guys feel about Sherman? Seems him and Gruden are really into each other. I have mixed feelings on it. I think he's definitely a better outside corner than Arnette, and Arnette can play the position he was born for in the NFL, Nickel. However, I think Sherman has lost a step speed wise over the years and KC receivers might torch him to death like they did in the Super Bowl. However, he matches up with Los Angeles and Denver's receivers very well. He'd be a great matchup on Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Courtland Sutton. 

I'd probably bring him in on a two year deal with him being easily released after one year if we want. 

13 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

How do you guys feel about Sherman? Seems him and Gruden are really into each other. I have mixed feelings on it. I think he's definitely a better outside corner than Arnette, and Arnette can play the position he was born for in the NFL, Nickel. However, I think Sherman has lost a step speed wise over the years and KC receivers might torch him to death like they did in the Super Bowl. However, he matches up with Los Angeles and Denver's receivers very well. He'd be a great matchup on Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Courtland Sutton. 

I'd probably bring him in on a two year deal with him being easily released after one year if we want. 

i'd be thrilled with Sherman. its also possible that whoever signs him wants to wait until April 27, after which his signing would no longer count against the comp pick formula.

no such deadline exists for players who were cut, such as casey hayward

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I'd sign Sherman in a heart beat. He was hurt most of last season but people forget that he was an All-Pro in 2019 and PFF had him ranked as the #2 CB in the NFL coming into the 2020 season. He knows the scheme and would also provide a veteran presence/leadership for our secondary. As you said the move also allows you to slide Arnette inside to nickel CB.