2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

Just now, drfrey13 said:

If you watch Leatherwoods highlights he looks like an great OT.  HIs problem is he lacks strength and aggression on a consistent basis.  He does a good job in the run game maintaining a good position but he is not a people mover.  This is what we know.  Now what we do not know is his abilty to transition to RT.  He has played RG so that will help but the difference between RG and RT is enough that he might really struggle.  I would feel more comfortable if the team was willing to move Miller to RT if Leatherwood does not show the ability to transition.  He is the best RT on the team with Andre James and Good behind him.  Now he may transition easily and this is all meaningless but both scenarios are possible.

To be honest I like the idea of Leatherwood playing right tackle Way more than the idea of him staying at left tackle. What you see a lot in the NFL is that the right guard is really good they are sometimes able to play right tackle in a pinch. For switching to left tackle Leatherwood was a guard that had tackle measurable's and traits. Right tackle is always been considered the more run blocking position. That's why I think he translates better to right tackle. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

To be honest I like the idea of Leatherwood playing right tackle Way more than the idea of him staying at left tackle. What you see a lot in the NFL is that the right guard is really good they are sometimes able to play right tackle in a pinch. For switching to left tackle Leatherwood was a guard that had tackle measurable's and traits. Right tackle is always been considered the more run blocking position. That's why I think he translates better to right tackle. 

This.

Also you don’t draft Miller copping all that flak, coach him up to a point where we are happy with him as our LT, to then move him to RT. Absolutely nonsensical.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dessie said:

This.

Also you don’t draft Miller copping all that flak, coach him up to a point where we are happy with him as our LT, to then move him to RT. Absolutely nonsensical.  

If he is a 8-12 LT and can be a top 3 RT.  Also if it allows you to have an average LT instead of playing on the right where they are one of the worst in the league you do.  You have to do what is best overall for the team and not just one player.  I believe if we had Miller on the right side and Parker on the left we would not have been looking to draft an OT in the 1st.  That is just me but I said it day one in the 2018 draft.  When Parker got his shot at LT he played good for his first time getting a shot there since college.  we all know what happens when he is on the right side and we are taking the same chance on leatherwood this year although I do think his chances of succeeding there are higher than Parker's.

13 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

If he is a 8-12 LT and can be a top 3 RT.  Also if it allows you to have an average LT instead of playing on the right where they are one of the worst in the league you do.  You have to do what is best overall for the team and not just one player.  I believe if we had Miller on the right side and Parker on the left we would not have been looking to draft an OT in the 1st.  That is just me but I said it day one in the 2018 draft.  When Parker got his shot at LT he played good for his first time getting a shot there since college.  we all know what happens when he is on the right side and we are taking the same chance on leatherwood this year although I do think his chances of succeeding there are higher than Parker's.

Nah you really don’t. You keep your best LT in his position. Last season proved we can can get away with a weaker RT. You don’t weaken the line at its most important spot.  No guarantee that Miller would be a great RT now either. The argument re Parker is redundant, could have been right but we’ll never know. Leatherwood might have to take his lumps as Miller did but you would move him to guard and Good to tackle if he struggles than move Miller.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Nah you really don’t. You keep your best LT in his position. Last season proved we can can get away with a weaker RT. You don’t weaken the line at its most important spot.  No guarantee that Miller would be a great RT now either. The argument re Parker is redundant, could have been right but we’ll never know. Leatherwood might have to take his lumps as Miller did but you would move him to guard and Good to tackle if he struggles than move Miller.  

I agree that Good should be the backup plan if James is starting at C and Miller at LT but Cable tends to shy away from playing linemen with RT experience at RT. When he does they are players that can not stay on the field.  My issue is Cable constantly looking to fill the RT position with players that have not played RT and not moving players with experience at the position.  2018 we had KO who played RT for the Ravens and looked good but we decided to move Penn and Parker there.  You could see the hamster wheel spinning in their heads when the ball was snapped.  No wonder Penn got hurt and Parker looked like one of the worst RT in NFL history.  How hard would it have been to move KO there and try Parker and Penn at G.  It is all because Cable had this idea of what his RT is suppose to be instead of playing the best player there.  Hopefully Leatherwood works out but how many players is Cable going to try at RT.  

I do not care about which player plays a specific position better.  I believe that Leatherwood LT and Miller RT is > than Miller LT and Leatherwood RT.  This of course is just me opinion and I could very easily be wrong because nobody has seen Leatherwood at RT.

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Which games can you point to that believes you to think leatherwood would be best at rt?

or is it just measurables?

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Which games can you point to that believes you to think leatherwood would be best at rt?

Mainly physical attributes. Right tackles in a lot of schemes have to be big and strong. A lot of teams run plays off of right tackle. It will be a transition, but he has played guard and tackle so I think he can do it.

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

He did not play RT so it is all measurables and speculation.  It works sometimes and if a LT can mirror their movements they should be okay but without any evidence that he can it is risky.  There are a lot of o-linemen that make successful transitions but Cable has failed more than he has succeeded here and also adds to the time it takes to develop.  Leatherwood has the physical skills to be a really good RT and so do the top 10-15 tackles in the draft.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

He did not play RT so it is all measurables and speculation.  It works sometimes and if a LT can mirror their movements they should be okay but without any evidence that he can it is risky.  There are a lot of o-linemen that make successful transitions but Cable has failed more than he has succeeded here and also adds to the time it takes to develop.  Leatherwood has the physical skills to be a really good RT and so do the top 10-15 tackles in the draft.

Has cable successfully had a player switch positions?

18 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Has cable successfully had a player switch positions?

James Carpenter on the Seahawks went from being a left tackle to a center and went to the pro bowl

Max Unger was converted from guard to center and was an all pro for the Seahawks 

Edited by Jeremy408

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Miller would leave the team the 1st chance he got

50 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

James Carpenter on the Seahawks went from being a left tackle to a center and went to the pro bowl

Max Unger was converted from guard to center and was an all pro for the Seahawks 

Unger played more games at center than lt his last year in college he was a personal fav of mine coming out of Oregon 

carpenter was a lg I thought in Seattle until his last year? What year did he make pro bowl 

12 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Unger played more games at center than lt his last year in college he was a personal fav of mine coming out of Oregon 

carpenter was a lg I thought in Seattle until his last year? What year did he make pro bowl 

Unger was considered the #1 guard coming out of college his year.

Excuse me: not James Carpenter justin Brett was who I meant. He went to the pro bowl as a center in 2016. He was drafted as a tackle. 

Edited by Jeremy408