2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I'm actually really interested to see how we plays this year. I think he's the sleeper of the Raiders

Yeh, I loved him in the draft process and thought he was an absolute steal. Really interested to see how he progresses this year as I genuinely feel he's got the potential to be our best receiver and a big red zone target, he's got great contested catch ability and super reliable hands, knows how to use his body too. He's just got too much going for him to fail (hopefully I haven't jinxed him now).

15 hours ago, Darbsk said:

He looked surprisingly decent at LT I seem to remember compared to his exploits out on the right. Maybe he's a guy that just can't transition to the right but could be an adequate backup on the left. Donald Penn was great on the left for us for a number of years but looked totally clumsy and uncoordinated on the right and he was a Pro Bowl calibre veteran.

Penn was also like 37 and injured.

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Penn was also like 37 and injured.

Yes Penn was old but was still a Pro Bowler in 2016 and 2017.  So they move him to the right after not being a RT his entire career I believe.  I think the injury had more to do with the position switch at 37 rather than looking bad because of an injury.  It was stupid to move your pro bowl LT and 3rd round LT to the right so your 1st round swing tackle could play on the left.  None of it made sense.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

Yes Penn was old but was still a Pro Bowler in 2016 and 2017.  So they move him to the right after not being a RT his entire career I believe.  I think the injury had more to do with the position switch at 37 rather than looking bad because of an injury.  It was stupid to move your pro bowl LT and 3rd round LT to the right so your 1st round swing tackle could play on the left.  None of it made sense.

I think it worked out pretty well as Miller has developed into one of the better LT in the league. We definitely should've drafted Orlando Brown over Parker though.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think it worked out pretty well as Miller has developed into one of the better LT in the league. We definitely should've drafted Orlando Brown over Parker though.

If the plan was to play Miller on the left then yes the choice between Parker and Brown is a very easy one.  As soon as they drafted Parker my first thought was why did we take Miller in the first to play RT.  Then a lot of people started talking about transitioning Penn and Parker to the right.  So I started looking into Penn and Parkers experience on the right.  Which I found none.  Yes we have a good LT but we ruined a very good LT's last couple years when he was still playing at a pro bowl level and wasted yet another 3rd round pick.  How many 3rds have we wasted since Gruden has been here.  Bryant trade, Brown trade, Parker, Key, Bowden, and Muse.  I will give Bryant the benefit of the doubt for now and of course no telling what the 3rd round rookies will do this year.  

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

If the plan was to play Miller on the left then yes the choice between Parker and Brown is a very easy one.  As soon as they drafted Parker my first thought was why did we take Miller in the first to play RT.  Then a lot of people started talking about transitioning Penn and Parker to the right.  So I started looking into Penn and Parkers experience on the right.  Which I found none.  Yes we have a good LT but we ruined a very good LT's last couple years when he was still playing at a pro bowl level and wasted yet another 3rd round pick.  How many 3rds have we wasted since Gruden has been here.  Bryant trade, Brown trade, Parker, Key, Bowden, and Muse.  I will give Bryant the benefit of the doubt for now and of course no telling what the 3rd round rookies will do this year.  

Penn only played 4 games in 2018 and was 35 and declining, IIRC even in 2017 he took a step back which is why we decided to draft Miller. Penn never did anything in the league after the 2018 season he was washed up. Brown was legit a college All-American that won the award for being the best OT in college football in 2017 and we took a project player from a D3 school over him. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Penn only played 4 games in 2018 and was 35 and declining, IIRC even in 2017 he took a step back which is why we decided to draft Miller. Penn never did anything in the league after the 2018 season he was washed up. Brown was legit a college All-American that won the award for being the best OT in college football in 2017 and we took a project player from a D3 school over him. 

He only played 4 games because he tore his groin.  That is the type of injury I expect from a OT that has bad foot movements.  He was just selected to his 2nd pro bowl in a row.  He was old and the decline was going to happen but you do not speed up the process by moving him to a position he had never played before.  If anything try to kick him inside to LG where the transition should have been easier and move KO to RT where he had some success with the Ravens.  Point being we should have never had Penn or Parker on the right.  If you wanted a RT you draft a RT like Brown.  Miller was good at RT also.  We had options and they choose the option that made the least amount of sense because in Cables mind if you have certain measurables you should be able to play certain spots.  100% agree with the Brown choice.  When I saw we traded up my first thought was Brown but since he ran a 5.4+ 40 (This is an almost unanimous league wide rule of thumb) he did not fit Cables mold of what a RT should be able to do.  If you catch my theme here you know I am not a fan of Cable's choices.  He can be a good coach but is a horrible talent evaluator.

• Like 1