Should We Resign Trubisky?

Bowler1215

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

I didn’t realize that’s all it would cost to release him.  But it sounds like our salary cap situation won’t be great, so i still don’t see that as an option.

Yep, and that's a problem. COVID has thrown a wrench into this whole world.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You did explain that you don’t actually have a plan.

I get that some guys will get released, who will generally suck, but I would love to hear a couple actual suggestions.

COVID is going to limit the cap without a doubt.  That means that every team is going to be scrambling trying to ends meat (cap) and that means there are going to be alot more 'cap casulaties' and "trade offers" than usual.

The extra postseason game is a nice bit of revenue but it's not nearly enough to cover the losses from not having preseason games and live games with very low ticket sales and merchandise. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

That’s what I’m saying.  Foles is here collecting a fat paycheck whether we like it or not.

He's not even set to make that much next year. I believe it's about $7M. It's essentially the same thing they paid for Chase Daniel as a "high end backup" when he was here. Definitely doesn't seem worth the price tag based on his play this year but it's not egregious.

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

Yep, and that's a problem. COVID has thrown a wrench into this whole world.

I see our QB room having 2 of the 4 next year:

- Foles

- Tru

- 1st/2nd round rookie

- Vet FA

PLUS Tyler Bray (apparently he got the incriminating photos of pace/McCaskey from Josh Bellamy when he finally left).

Foles is most likely to be here given his contract and i don’t see them pairing him up with another veteran.  If Tru absolutely balls out the next couple games and makes some noise in the playoffs the i could see them trying to bring him back next year with Foles.  In that scenario i don’t see them using a premium pick on a QB.  I think it’s highly unlikely they eat the remainder of Foles contract and pair Tru with another vet.

So the way I see it is this:

Most likely scenario - Foles/rookie/Bray (because of photos)

-  I say this as most likely because, as i said before, im not buying this as a “new Mitch,” I fully expect him to come back down to earth.  And In that scenario I don’t see the Bears taking another chance on him at $10m+

Optimal scenario - Tru/rookie/Bray (because of photos)

-  I say that as optimal because that means that Tru continues his streak into the playoffs.  If he builds on that and starts 2021 with that same energy, then we could have a legit QB plus a rookie picked in the 1st or 2nd to develop and hopefully be able to take over and start a new era should Tru not carry over into 2021.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

1 year 10 is better than 2/17 and Mariota’s deal.

What QB are you getting for less than that?

It is easy to say we should replace Mitch, but you have offered 0 actual suggestions.

Draft Draft Draft. A guy like Kyle Trask or Mac Jones could work me thinks.

Edited by topwop1

5 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I see our QB room having 2 of the 4 next year:

- Foles

- Tru

- 1st/2nd round rookie

- Vet FA

PLUS Tyler Bray (apparently he got the incriminating photos of pace/McCaskey from Josh Bellamy when he finally left).

Foles is most likely to be here given his contract and i don’t see them pairing him up with another veteran.  If Tru absolutely balls out the next couple games and makes some noise in the playoffs the i could see them trying to bring him back next year with Foles.  In that scenario i don’t see them using a premium pick on a QB.  I think it’s highly unlikely they eat the remainder of Foles contract and pair Tru with another vet.

So the way I see it is this:

Most likely scenario - Foles/rookie/Bray (because of photos)

-  I say this as most likely because, as i said before, im not buying this as a “new Mitch,” I fully expect him to come back down to earth.  And In that scenario I don’t see the Bears taking another chance on him at $10m+

Optimal scenario - Tru/rookie/Bray (because of photos)

-  I say that as optimal because that means that Tru continues his streak into the playoffs.  If he builds on that and starts 2021 with that same energy, then we could have a legit QB plus a rookie picked in the 1st or 2nd to develop and hopefully be able to take over and start a new era should Tru not carry over into 2021.

Same here man. But again, we have to also look at the possibility of new regime too because I don't personally think that's completely off the table either just yet. And if that happens then a whole lot of changes may be made.

Like you said earlier, we'll know more in two weeks.  

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'd say F it and draft them in the 1st or 2nd even the same regime is here. If next year the Pace/Nagy and CO are gone then let the next regime determine what to do with them. If they don't like him then ship him and pick your own guy next year like Keim did in Arizona.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

7 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'd say F it and draft them in the 1st or 2nd even the same regime is here. If next year the Pace/Nagy and CO are gone then let the next regime determine what to do with them. If they don't like him then ship him and pick your own guy next year like Keim did in Arizona.

Same here. Especially if Mitch tells Bears to go F themselves because he doesn't want to take a short term team friendly deal.

I wouldn't be thrilled with the same regime both FO and coaching staff taking another swing at a QB but the bottom line is they have to take another shot in the draft at some point. 

Since they were unable to make it work with Mitch while his contract was still manageable under the rookie wage scale it's tough to continue trying that experiment now that he's up for renewal while at the same time fielding a competitive roster elsewhere.

I want the Bears to draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd, regardless of the regime. OT/QB are my picks. We need to FINALLY develop a QB and I don't care what it takes at this point. I'm not big on Trask at all, but I don't even care at this point. Fine, take him if he's there. Take a QB and hope for the best.  If he's not it then take another in the first round next year. If he's not it, then try 2 more next year. Try FA...I don't care anymore.

I'm done with being picky "which" QB we get based on personal preferences, because it's apparent to me that this organization is cursed either way when it comes to QBs. At least until the McCaskeys are gone anyhow....which isn't going to happen anytime in my lifetime.  I'm truly convinced that we could have drafted Mahomes in 2017 we would've somehow done something to mess him up too. THAT's how convinced I am that we are cursed. 

I swear to god, if we take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round and he busts and Mitch goes someplace else and has success..... I don't wanna incriminate myself (CBears)........ but bad things may happen to halas Hall and all that are involved. I'm just saying.

This is all sort of bit of a hyperbole statement but I'm sure you all get what I mean. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I am 100% drafting someone in the early rounds, but it is a large leap to think that

-they can start right away

-they will be able to run a more QB intensive offense than Mitch out of the gate

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am 100% drafting someone in the early rounds, but it is a large leap to think that

-they can start right away

-they will be able to run a more QB intensive offense than Mitch out of the gate

Personally I think that's why they traded for Foles... so they could have a guy who could start for some number games before turning to a rookie. 

I'm pretty sure that management expected they'd be turning the page on Mitch when they decided not to exercise his 5th year option, barring some kind of huge turnaround this season where he played like an elite QB over a long stretch.

I mean it's pretty rare for a QB who did not get their 5th year option guaranteed to stay with the team that drafted them.  Name the last QB that this was the case.

If Nagy returns he will use the excuse that Foles was playing behind a make shift OL who was missing a few starters and that he never really got into a groove because of the shortened offseason due to COVID, etc. I can already see it now.

Edited by topwop1

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Personally I think that's why they traded for Foles... so they could have a guy who could start for some number games before turning to a rookie. 

I'm pretty sure that management expected they'd be turning the page on Mitch when they decided not to exercise his 5th year option, barring some kind of huge turnaround this season where he played like an elite QB over a long stretch.

I mean it's pretty rare for a QB who did not get their 5th year option guaranteed to stay with the team that drafted them.  Name the last QB that this was the case.

If Nagy returns he will use the excuse that Foles was playing behind a make shift OL who was missing a few starters and that he never really got into a groove because of the shortened offseason due to COVID, etc. I can already see it now.

But then Foles showed he is straight trash.

Foles being awful is the wrench in the entire thing. Only having Foles on the roster pretty much guarantees that you have to reach on a QB in round 1, you literally cannot afford to miss out on the QB run

Edited by WindyCity

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But then Foles showed he is straight trash.

Foles being awful is the wrench in the entire thing. Only having Foles on the roster pretty much guarantees that you have to reach on a QB in round 1, you literally cannot afford to miss out on the QB run

It's a very tough scenario.

If Pace and Nagy are allowed to return they will likely be given the playoffs or bust mandate.  In that case I don't think Bears mgmt would sign off on a QB contract for Mitch beyond 1 year guaranteed.  Will Mitch accept that and at what cost?

I'm not saying it's impossible he returns but right now there are too many question marks and to me it is more probable that he is not back given everything.

Edited by topwop1

I'm going to take the chance to pipe in as an outsider here.  I hope you guys know that even though I've been a Vikings fan over the years, I still like the Bears too, so please don't take this as though I'm trolling you or trashing your team at all. 

The way I see it, the most I would consider is to bring Mitch back with the thought that he is a bridge in the development of a rookie QB.  The Bears paid a lot in terms of draft capital in acquiring him, but I just think they need to do what Arizona did last year and admit the mistake and correct it at the earliest opportunity.  They did that and they have a shot at making the playoffs a year later. 

Bears fans probably know this, but I heard on a Minneapolis radio show that the Bears have scored at least 25 points a game for the last four consecutive weeks.  What shocked me to hear was that this is the first time the Bears offense has done this since 1995.  Does that sound possible?  I'm not talking about four 50-burgers in a row, or even four 40-burgers.  It was the first time in 25 years that the offense has put up just 25 points in a game for four consecutive games.  That's just sad to hear because the Bears have had so many dominant defenses over the years.  Bears fans deserve a better offensive output than this. 

Mitch has played fine since coming back, but as someone who would like to see the Bears have some real success, I just don't see him ever putting it all together to the point where you can have a consistently dominant offense.  I'd keep him around for another year IF it doesn't cost too much, and pay what you need to pay in draft picks to trade up for a good rookie QB.  With the way the league has been trending so much toward offense in recent years, it's just too tough to win it all without an offense that can at least carry their own weight. 

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1