Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

I remember facepalming at this play live. Nobody looked lined up at all as the ball was snapped. Easy completion. Confusion is a staple of the Dom defense in GB

Dom’s defense is supposed to confuse offenses and be hard to pick apart. Unfortunately it looks like it’s confusing our own players and hard to pick up. 

I am chalking up King's poor performance to him not being 100%, because he just looked so tentative compared to prior to the concussion.

That said, yesterday was a Rollins/Gunter 2016 like performance.

@Peter_Bukowski

Welcome back rook: Kevin King gave up 5 catches on 5 targets for 143 yards and a TD against the Saints Sunday. Another 53 after the catch.

King the rookie is King the rookie.  He and Jones get 1-2 more of these games without a second thought from me as to "this is something slightly concerning"

HHCD, Randall, Brice are bottom 1/4 tacklers at their position.  HHCD isn't playing assignment sure football either, and it's unacceptable for a player with his experience level.

It's not so much purely tackling for me.  Once they are in position, they can usually handle the task against normal sized WRs.  All too frequently they are caught unaware of what is going on behind/in front of them and then run like chickens with their heads cut off towards the ball.  By the time they get to where the ball was, the ballcarrier has moved the ball and they can't comprehend how the ball actually moved and why they are out of position.

Poor coverage/technique/assignment leads to players in space which compounds into a complete inability by this team to tackle guys in space.  It's a very good strategy vs this team to throw short of the sticks and break a tackle for a first down.

5 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Who the hell is tracking that.

I once owned ****domcapers.com

Maybe I need domcapersrecords.com

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/23/drew-brees-sets-nfl-record-against-packers-defense/amp/ 

Some light reading.

I will be fair too and point out that Capers was only the DC for the last 4 monster games by Brees against our team, including two 400+ burgers. MM has been around for 6 out of the 7. 

early in this thread I pointed out Buffalo, Miami, Pittsburgh as well coached defensive teams in the right systems to fit their young talent.  Pitt probably has a bit more talent than GB, but I like what the other 2 have done.

Oakland is a similar program to GB in terms of talent who is similarly struggling both with injuries and poor play.  Tampa's "talented" defense has completely fallen apart.

This defense could be in worse shape after 7 games, but I do think it's time for a spark.

Archived