Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

5 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I'm guessing he used it because it makes us look worse than points. 

Nice try ace, I updated the Pack's ranking in points allowed on the prior page.

But by all means, keep attacking those who dare deviate from the all is good in Green Bay agenda.

8 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Nice try ace, I updated the Pack's ranking in points allowed on the prior page.

But by all means, keep attacking those who dare deviate from the all is good in Green Bay agenda.

Meh. That's all fine and dandy. It just never seems objective.

I'm for firing capers during the bye, handing the reigns to perry or moss, and evaluating their progress over the rest of the season.  I would not be for firing capers and handing over control to anyone at the end of the season.  Better to completely clean out the defensive staff at that point since none of these assistants have game planning and defensive playcalling responsibilities at the moment.

I was always partial to per Drive statistics myself

• 1.98 points per drive (20)
  • 0.148 turnovers per drive (6)
  • 28.02 average starting position (16)
  • 2:59 average drive duration (26)

These stats kind of match what is typically said about the defense. Drives are long because we don't give up big plays often, we're high on turnovers (even after the slow start in that regard) but overall we could certainly do better in the points department. Now, these are not adjusted for opponents and such but I still think these are pretty telling stats.

From: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef

6 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm for firing capers during the bye, handing the reigns to perry or moss, and evaluating their progress over the rest of the season.  I would not be for firing capers and handing over control to anyone at the end of the season.  Better to completely clean out the defensive staff at that point since none of these assistants have game planning and defensive playcalling responsibilities at the moment.

I have this feeling nobody is going to fired or encouraged to "retire" until after this season is over.  I don't recall McCoach ever firing anyone in the middle of the season but I might be wrong...

Yeah, I don't want Capers fired during this season either.  I don't see any good coming from that. 

After this season, however, yes.  I want him gone.  Let's take an inventory:

Young, long, fast, aggressive cornerback entering his second year (King).
Up and down years for a pro bowl first round safety (Clinton-Dix).
Legitimate starter option with nagging injury history (Perry).
Top five interior DL that can get after the QB (Daniels).
Rising NT player who's only 22 years old (Clark).
Playmaking defensive back with maturity concerns (Randall... He has 11 interceptions including playoffs in less than 3 years).
Aging playmaking linebacker who has lost a lot as a pass rusher, but STILL provides ALL-PRO talent on the field (Matthews).
Rising ILB player who has been having a HELL of a second year jump (Martinez).

That's 8 legitimate pieces to a defense right there and you'd have a difficult time coming up with an argument for why a new coordinator couldn't put those pieces towards a damn good defense if he just simplified things and let them play to their strengths instead of running a complex scheme where week after week (I can prove it), MULTIPLE players are looking at Matthews confused AF about what to do.   

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't see any good coming from that.

The good is that it gives you a chance to evaluate your in-house candidate for the job next year.  It gives you a chance, albeit a small chance, to light a fire in the defensive individual rooms, and light a fire under the position group coaches since everyone is clearly coaching for their jobs next year.

EDIT:  Any interest in potentially giving Byron Maxwell a quick look?  Guy appears to be a system player after flaming out twice in both Philly and Miami, but he plays physical and can play cover 3/cover 2 corner.  Worth bringing in to evaluate next to Hawkins?  I think he would be a pretty dang good 4th corner.

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

The good is that it gives you a chance to evaluate your in-house candidate for the job next year.  It gives you a chance, albeit a small chance, to light a fire in the defensive individual rooms, and light a fire under the position group coaches since everyone is clearly coaching for their jobs next year.

EDIT:  Any interest in potentially giving Byron Maxwell a quick look?  Guy appears to be a system player after flaming out twice in both Philly and Miami, but he plays physical and can play cover 3/cover 2 corner.  Worth bringing in to evaluate next to Hawkins?  I think he would be a pretty dang good 4th corner.

How hard is it to just learn a new defensive playbook?  Lets say we fire Capers today and have a week and a half until the next game.  Can you implement a new system in that timeframe or would it just be someone else calling the current defensive plays/formations? I would think defensively this is easier than a new offensive scheme and the Bengals seemed to do that in less time. 

I don't doubt that Capers is a good DC given that he was experienced, veteran players across the board. However, I've long maintained that he's a bad fit in GB with the roster turnover and lack of FA signings that TT brings in. His schemes are too complex for young players to grasp, and I think that's why there's so many communication errors. 

Also, as silly as it may sound, I hate that he sits up in the box. I'd love to bring in a young, high-energy, passionate DC who gets his guys fired up on the sidelines. I think after this season it's time to move on. As somebody pointed out there are young pieces to build around. Lets find somebody with a simple scheme who can maximize the talent he's given. 

4 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Lets find somebody with a simple scheme who can maximize the talent he's given. 

Simple schemes are easily exposed and destroyed by competent offenses. Gotta play cat and mouse on Sunday , unless you have superior athletes across the board.

One of the issues vs the saints is that Payton/Brees like to play games on substitutions and it worked. They don't send out the skills guys and declare their personnel package until really late in the play clock. That stresses a defense in terms of what package to deploy. GB is also without Burnett to get everyone lined up and the combination of HaHa wearing the green dot and the gamesmanship from Payton/Brees neutered the Packers defense on Sunday. Way too much confusion and hand-waving pre-snap. They brought Whitt down to the field too, and it takes time for that change to be assimilated. GB was also without Joe Thomas and while he isn't a world-beater, he knows the defense better than Jones. Brees took advantage.

IMO,  Drew would have been just as successful against a simple defense coordinated by a passionate rah rah guy on the sidelines.

Archived