Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

I get the angst over Hayward. That was a tough call. The guy could play and it made sense to let him go at the time hoping either Randall or Rollins could develop and you had Shields. That's a regret with hindsight.

Hyde? I don't give a load of beets about the # of INTs. Good bye, especially at that contract price. Watch him play. He is what we thought he was. A physically limited DB. He's smart and reliable but best as a backup. Those INTs aren't good plays by him in coverage.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

I get the angst over Hayward. That was a tough call. The guy could play and it made sense to let him go at the time hoping either Randall or Rollins could develop and you had Shields. That's a regret with hindsight.

Hyde? I don't give a load of beets about the # of INTs. Good bye, especially at that contract price. Watch him play. He is what we thought he was. A physically limited DB. He's smart and reliable but best as a backup. Those INTs aren't good plays by him in coverage.

I'm pretty sure he is strictly playing safety for BUF this season. Regardless, like you said, no way we could justify that contract for what he offers. 

All 11 preferred starters were full participants at practice today and are ready to go on Monday night, after a bye, and at home.

Lions' running attack ranks 28th in the NFL, Stafford has been sacked 25 times, and will be starting a banged up backup LT or a 3rd stringer who was picked up after final cuts.

Time for the D to shine.

14 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

All 11 preferred starters were full participants at practice today and are ready to go on Monday night, after a bye, and at home.

Lions' running attack ranks 28th in the NFL, Stafford has been sacked 25 times, and will be starting a banged up backup LT or a 3rd stringer who was picked up after final cuts.

Time for the D to shine.

I can hear the excuses already when the defense gets shredded again

”Theo Riddick is a unique skill”

”Stafford is underrated”

”The defense played well until the third quarter”

”The Lions are division opponents so they know us well”

Michael Cohen  ✔@Michael_Cohen13

"Lions, Saints and Vikings have converted 20 of 40 third downs against the #Packers during the 3-game losing streak. Lions and Saints 16/28."

We typically have to wait until the playoffs for the defense to provide the truly awful statistics, but allowing the Lions & Saints to go 16 for 28 on 3rd down just boggles the mind.

Dom Capers is a true wonder, like how in the H does he still have a job?

48 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

The Defense is now tied for 21st (or 23rd depending upon one's view) in the offensive points per game against category.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-offensive-points-per-game

A couple of pretty putrid offenses coming up in Chicago and Baltimore, so the ranking should improve somewhat.

Let's hope it doesnt. If the Packers even come close to treading water at this point Dom will certainly be back. Short of him taking one for the team and retiring, sadly, we need the defense to be as bad as it can be from here on out.

I honestly wonder how much of a factor the GB defense has been in MM seeming to misjudge Hundley's readiness.  Very marginal QB's have had consistent success against this defense over the past few years.  That being the case, I expect it's true that Hundley looks much better in practice than he does in the games.  This naturally leads to MM to overestimating Hundley's actual ability.  I think to a lesser extent, the same thing applies to the WR's.     

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Let's hope it doesnt. If the Packers even come close to treading water at this point Dom will certainly be back. Short of him taking one for the team and retiring, sadly, we need the defense to be as bad as it can be from here on out.

Yeah i'm on that bus too, let the true colors stand out. I hope we stay 3-4 but time to gut the D from the top to the bottom let some fresh eyes come at it and see what we can build from there. We have talent maybe we overvalue it being a DD team but we do have talent. A fresh take can't happen fast enough on this D.

Just now, RoellPreston88 said:

I wouldn't mind switching back to the 43. Seems easier to find body types in a 43, I could be wrong though.

I've been saying this for a number of years now and it's true and I don't care who argues against it.  Body types for a 4-3 are easier to find than body types for a 3-4 now because more teams play with a 3-4 mentality.  The whole reason we switched to a 3-4 was because it gave us a distinct advantage in getting those tweeners who fell because they didn't fit a 4-3.  Now that the majority of teams play a 3-4, it's time to get that advantage back in our favor. 

31 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I've been saying this for a number of years now and it's true and I don't care who argues against it.  Body types for a 4-3 are easier to find than body types for a 3-4 now because more teams play with a 3-4 mentality.  The whole reason we switched to a 3-4 was because it gave us a distinct advantage in getting those tweeners who fell because they didn't fit a 4-3.  Now that the majority of teams play a 3-4, it's time to get that advantage back in our favor. 

I think the only scheme specific guys anymore are the college DEs too small to play a 4-3, like say a Jerry Hughes, or the college DEs too big for an OLB position, like a King Ealy. I think Nick Perry could easily be a 4-3 DE, Matthews a 4-3 WLB, Clark or Daniels a 4-3 UT. The NFL has become much more open to playing defensive players like offensive guys, you don't have to play all 3 downs anymore at the same spot. I have no real preference 3-4 or 4-3, it's just time to get some pass rushers with the same kind of freaky athletic ability a Jones or King has.

Archived