Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

20 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

You really don't get the Fackrell hate? 

Have you watched him play?

Yes. Every snap he's ever played for us. It's not that I think he's great or anything like that it's just that I don't get the dogpiling on him. He's a just mediocre player. He gets a little bit of pressure in pass rushing and is just ok versus the run. He's not even a huge liability or a key component of the defense. It's not like he's the sole reason the defense struggles. It's not like he's getting paid a fortune. It's not like we invested a premium pick on him. It's not like there were clearly better options when we drafted him. I just don't get why HE'S the guy that has a mob full of posters with pitchforks and torches following him around. He's not a Tony Mandarich orJamaal Reynolds or a Terrell Buckley or a Bruce Clark or a Brent Fullwood or a Joe Johnson or an etc. etc. He's just a guy. People act like he's a real cause or a turning point or a reason and he's not. He's just a guy. There's been thousands of worse players and picks in the NFL.  

6 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I just don't get why HE'S the guy that has a mob full of posters with pitchforks and torches following him around.

Because Jarrett Bush retired ? :)

A blogger or two went after Fackrell and the pitchfork crowd is only too happy to parrot those comments and turn Kyler into their whipping boy. They need him as validation for their agenda that TT sucks, Capers sucks, MM sucks etc..  Fackrell can be used as evidence that the Packers are doing it wrong. Its really just a function of stupid people being given a voice on the internet. Ignore and move on.

And thanks for your quality contributions around here, can't thank you and others enough for the good stuff you share.

Because Jarrett Bush retired ?

I'd counter that with Barclay being released.  

I'm no Fackrell fan, though, either.  I think he is only on the roster because he was a recent draft pick.  I know if cut, he'd probably end up on a roster somewhere else, but it is hard for me to believe that any other team in the NFL would give him the snaps that he is seeing this year.  I believe, though, that those snaps are due to Brooks being injured and Biegle being not quite ready to go.  If those guys can take the snaps and keep Kyler on special teams, then I'm fine with him.

On 10/24/2017 at 7:14 PM, TransientTexan said:

Says nothing without a frame of reference.  How often do most teams have defensive assistants get promoted? (so a comprehensive study of 32 teams)

No idea on the numbers. However, I'd think that when a defensive coordinator becomes a head coach, he has to assemble a staff, either raiding his former team, or hiring from elsewhere. And if he raids his former team, that former team has to fill its new openings from somewhere.

I don't remember hearing Perry, Whitt, etc. in line for DC jobs, nor has one of the lower-level assistants become a position coach. I'd think that happens relatively frequently throughout the NFL. Our offense has this happen more often, with Jagodzinski, Philbin, and McAdoo getting promoted. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Stick this in your DVOA and smoke it. Been preaching this for years. We are a baaaddd defense people.

Biggest complaint against MM for me...that he continues to tolerate this from HIS coordinator. Unacceptable. 

This is actually what DVOA mostly is...with the added bonus that it's adjusted for the quality of your opponent.

Not sure what your point is here.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

And I'm convinced you were on TT's lap when Kyler was selected.

I'll be honest, I liked him coming out of Utah State.  Probably was right there with TT in terms of what he thought he might be.  You watch his tape against USC from his freshman year, and you would have thought he was going to be a future 1st round pick based on his play and projecting forward.  Unfortunately, he tore his knee up his sophomore year (IIRC) and wasn't the same since then.  And then in his later years he was used predominantly as a coverage LBer, a role that most thought was an odd fit given his physical profile.  Unfortunately, he hasn't turned out and as I mentioned elsewhere he falls into the same territory as Khyri Thornton trying to get a player with a unique skillset later on in the draft.  It's like shopping at Walmart for jeans, and being upset that they ripped a month later.  But you're so focused on Fackrell that you're literally using him as a scapegoat.

2 hours ago, th87 said:

No idea on the numbers. However, I'd think that when a defensive coordinator becomes a head coach, he has to assemble a staff, either raiding his former team, or hiring from elsewhere. And if he raids his former team, that former team has to fill its new openings from somewhere.

I don't remember hearing Perry, Whitt, etc. in line for DC jobs, nor has one of the lower-level assistants become a position coach. I'd think that happens relatively frequently throughout the NFL. Our offense has this happen more often, with Jagodzinski, Philbin, and McAdoo getting promoted. 

I mean, how many of our offensive coaching staff has gone off to get other jobs?  You've got Joe Philbin, and Ben McAdoo.  McAdoo didn't poach any of our other coaches, and as far as I'm aware Philbin didn't either.  I know Winston Moss got interviews, and I want to say Darren Perry did but I might be mistaken.

Jeff Jagodzinski went to be a HC at Boston College after being the Packers OC.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, how many of our offensive coaching staff has gone off to get other jobs?  You've got Joe Philbin, and Ben McAdoo.  McAdoo didn't poach any of our other coaches, and as far as I'm aware Philbin didn't either.  I know Winston Moss got interviews, and I want to say Darren Perry did but I might be mistaken.

Pretty sure Perry has. Did one of them start turning down interviews or did I make that up in my head? 

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Jagodzinski! He's been gone for awhile! Still at BC?

What is your take on our coordinators not getting any other positions?

Archived