Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

31 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Simple schemes are easily exposed and destroyed by competent offenses. Gotta play cat and mouse on Sunday , unless you have superior athletes across the board.

One of the issues vs the saints is that Payton/Brees like to play games on substitutions and it worked. They don't send out the skills guys and declare their personnel package until really late in the play clock. That stresses a defense in terms of what package to deploy. GB is also without Burnett to get everyone lined up and the combination of HaHa wearing the green dot and the gamesmanship from Payton/Brees neutered the Packers defense on Sunday. Way too much confusion and hand-waving pre-snap. They brought Whitt down to the field too, and it takes time for that change to be assimilated. GB was also without Joe Thomas and while he isn't a world-beater, he knows the defense better than Jones. Brees took advantage.

IMO,  Drew would have been just as successful against a simple defense coordinated by a passionate rah rah guy on the sidelines.

As opposed to our complex scheme being exposed by mediocre offenses because of communication errors/breakdowns in coverage?

There is always that...and it was proven by that gif on here that shows our guys confused and looking at Matthews.

I've long thought it is better to be vanilla and fundamentally sound than complex and unorganized.  Point well taken, though, about Brees and his ability to beat schemes that are not disguised.

And yes, Capers scheme is difficult.  It can be very effective (see Randall's pick and how they disguised the coverage), but it also takes a lot of brain power.  

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

There is always that...and it was proven by that gif on here that shows our guys confused and looking at Matthews.

I've long thought it is better to be vanilla and fundamentally sound than complex and unorganized.  Point well taken, though, about Brees and his ability to beat schemes that are not disguised.

And yes, Capers scheme is difficult.  It can be very effective (see Randall's pick and how they disguised the coverage), but it also takes a lot of brain power.  

and/or experience... which is why I previously stated that while I think he's a good DC, he isn't a great fit considering TT's approach to building a team. 

from JSO

Missing Morgan: Both McCarthy and defensive coordinator Dom Capers said the absence of safety Morgan Burnett (hamstring) the past two weeks has affected production and communication.

There have been numerous times the past two weeks when the defense was late setting up and players were confused about their assignments.

“There’s no question Morgan’s been our quarterback,” Capers said. “He’s been around here the longest. You’ve seen us play him at three different positions. You know, before he went down he was our signal caller. I always correlate that with the quarterback position. Guys have confidence in Morgan

‘And if there’s any gray area he’s going to try and take the gray area out if it. And so, we’ll look forward to hopefully getting Morgan back here after the bye week.”

48 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Biegel time coming out of the bye?

I really don't get the Fackrell hate but whatever.

That play right there is a STRETCH. He's clearly holding the point of attack, gets tripped from behind by 16, and then goes down.  

6 hours ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

and/or experience... which is why I previously stated that while I think he's a good DC, he isn't a great fit considering TT's approach to building a team. 

This is the main reason why I don't understand why he's still employed. TT has to know their philosophies don't fit.

4 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I really don't get the Fackrell hate but whatever.

That play right there is a STRETCH. He's clearly holding the point of attack, gets tripped from behind by 16, and then goes down.  

You really don't get the Fackrell hate? 

Have you watched him play?

Archived