2021 Edge Prospects

Scoundrel

14 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

He does? Everything I’ve seen, if Azeez doesn’t win with speed it’s over.  Don’t get me wrong, explosive speed is a very nice start, but he has work to do on his counter moves. 

He’s got great hands/rip move. He’s constantly active you never really see him get locked up despite his size.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

He's definitely a one trick pony from a pass rush perspective. If he can't get a tackle's outside arm off of him on his arc, he's stuck without a paddle. He has no counters, no bull rush, and he's not explosive enough out of his stance to beat guys with pure speed. Watch against Stone Forsythe (Kyle Trask cut up).

I think he sets the edge just fine. He's strong for his size. I think his drop is fine. To me, he's a good starting edge, but he's not going to define a defensive front.

That’s interesting against Stone he had a nice move to beat him inside for a sack if I recall. Using a different move than his “one trick pony” move.

40 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The concussion history would take him off my board all together. That's just me, though. 

He'd be not available for discussion before the 3rd round, in my war room.  

However, the value of the position would take precedent.  If he's Danielle Hunter for 3 seasons, and then retires, it was more than worth it.  

You can't have your 1st round pick get knocked out for the year in the first game with a concussion, but every team wastes 3rd round picks.  You can't take these risks all the time, but on a guy like this, swing for the fence maybe.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, massraider said:

He'd be not available for discussion before the 3rd round, in my war room.  

However, the value of the position would take precedent.  If he's Danielle Hunter for 3 seasons, and then retires, it was more than worth it.  

You can't have your 1st round pick get knocked out for the year in the first game with a concussion, but every team wastes 3rd round picks.  You can't take these risks all the time, but on a guy like this, swing for the fence maybe.  

That's a pretty good take.

Not that this should make everyone feel warm and fuzzy about Phillips, but DE is one of the safer positions to play in terms of concussions. At least he’s not a skill player or a LB/DB. The hits in space are what causes the most brain-rattling hits. I know concussions can happen anywhere and they do occur more frequently after issues, but he could easily have a healthy 10-12 year career. With his talent, I gamble. 

What scouts and front offices consider regarding concussions and prior head trauma:

https://www.the42.ie/concussion-american-football-3179351-Jan2017/

researchers in America studied the impact of hits absorbed by an offensive lineman at the line of scrimmage and in similar scenarios.

The impact of these hits are considered to be minor in isolation, but the accumulative damage of these blows can have similar effects to that of harder collisions that would produce more immediate symptoms of concussion.

According to the data collected, the average G-force of 10 of the 62 hits recorded was akin to the force the lineman would experience if he crashed a car into a wall at 30mph.

Head traumas like this can happen multiple times to players throughout their career, thus leaving them prone to developing concussion and other dangerous conditions such as neurological condition chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

Edited by MSURacerDT55

5 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Hot take: Jaelen Phillips is my top rated EDGE player from Miami and Quincy Roche is second. 

That’s a bad take. As the biggest Miami honk alive, I’ve watched them all extensively. Rousseau is best in class, followed by Phillips, followed by Roche.

Rousseau is far and away the most versatile. He’s got great pass rush moves, as does Phillips. He doesn’t play as hard as Phillips does on a down-by-down basis, but he’s unblockable by pretty much any one guy in CFB. Rousseau’s length is a nightmare to deal with and it constantly shows up on tape.

Phillips is the all-around stud that doesn’t take plays off. He plays hard and uses his hands better than any edge in this class, by far. That said, he doesn’t have any one freak trait that will overwhelm NFL OT’s. Phillips is a great looking prospect, but I prefer Rousseau. Also, can’t ignore the injury stuff for Phillips, even though I tend to be more lenient with those kinds of things, for better or worse.

Roche has great highlights, but also some putrid lowlights. He doesn’t play hard at all vs. the run and basically gives up if someone gets their hands into him. He’s a pile-watcher. While he can bend the edge and “run the loop” better than almost anyone in this draft, he’s far too inconsistent and gives a maddening lack of effort. He’s got some Dee Ford in his game, but the lowlights from Roche are enough to nauseate anyone around football.

I could see all being great pros, but you are counting on the health of Phillips and the effort of Roche to fix itself. Rousseau is the cleanest of the three, despite being the least terrifying in terms of speed rush. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, massraider said:

I guess teams needs to figure out is how many concussions is too many for the risk not to be worth it. 4 in life (with 1 being minor) with none in the last 2 years doesn't sound like a large risk. I guess you have to trust your medical staff but even then doesn't sound like a medical eval would be useful.