What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

27 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

During pre-season Teddy repeatedly tossed the ball to the checkdown when he had a wide open receiver 10-20 yards deep. 

Pre-season is rather "vanilla" and Checkdown was trying to win a job, things usually open up in the regular season.  Playing the way he did in pre-season isn't going to win a lot of games, a veteran like Teddy will know he has to take more chances but I guess we'll see. To think he's gonna play just like he did in pre-season seems naive' and simplistic to me. 

Edited by Cutler06

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

You can get a franchise QB without tanking.  

You can - but it is very difficult - the Broncos have spent 5 years trying to find one. Since Payton retired -

The Cowboys got Prescott

The Chiefs got Mahomes

The Texans got Watson

The Browns got Mayfield

The Bills got Allen

The Ravens got Jackson

The Cardinals got Murray

The Bengals got Burrow

The Chargers got Herbert

Even the Bucs got Brady who looks like he can keep going for another 3/4 years.

And last draft the Jags got Lawrence - the Jets got Wilson - the 49ers got Lance - the Bears got Fields - and the Pats got Jones - all of whom are potential franchise QBs for their teams (and have looked the part so far). The jury is also out on the likes of Daniel Jones and Love.

Paton repeatedly said that you have to throw darts in the draft - yet he didn't throw any darts at the most important position on an NFL roster - a position where the team has a big void.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

You can - but it is very difficult - the Broncos have spent 5 years trying to find one. Since Payton retired -

The Cowboys got Prescott

The Chiefs got Mahomes

The Texans got Watson

The Browns got Mayfield

The Bills got Allen

The Ravens got Jackson

The Cardinals got Murray

The Bengals got Burrow

The Chargers got Herbert

And last draft the Jags got Lawrence - the Jets got Wilson - the 49ers got Lance - the Bears got Fields - and the Pats got Jones - all of whom are potential franchise QBs for their teams (and have looked the part so far). The jury is also out on the likes of Daniel Jones and Love.

Paton repeatedly said that you have to throw darts in the draft - yet he didn't throw any darts at the most important position on an NFL roster - a position where the team has a big void.

You just listed a number of guys that weren't top of the draft. You aren't gonna get an argument from me that it's easy. My point is there are numerous ways to get the guy - just because we don't have one does not mean we gotta tank the season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

The Cowboys got Prescott

The Chiefs got Mahomes

The Texans got Watson

The Browns got Mayfield

The Bills got Allen

The Ravens got Jackson

The Cardinals got Murray

The Bengals got Burrow

The Chargers got Herbert

You can also list Josh Rosen, Mitchell Trubisky,  Sam Darnold, Jared Goff, etc as QB's that were drafted and expected to their teams QBOTF during their draft, not an exact science now is it ??? You keep HARPING about Fields, but he has as much of a chance to BUST as any of these high-round QB's

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 1

Perhaps we should keep an eye on Trevor Lawrence and the Jaguar's. Meyer's isn't adapting very well to the NFL and perhaps Lawrence will want out from the unprofessionalism down in FLA.  

OK, a  LONG shot but Jag's are a poorly run team and anything could happen with a team like that IMO.

Edited by Cutler06

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

The Cowboys got Prescott

The Chiefs got Mahomes

The Texans got Watson

The Browns got Mayfield

The Bills got Allen

The Ravens got Jackson

The Cardinals got Murray

The Bengals got Burrow

The Chargers got Herbert

I’ve said this before but it bears repeating - the only way I can really forgive Paton for passing on Fields is if (and we will never, ever know this for certain or even beyond a reasonable doubt) they believed a deal for Rodgers was done all but for the paperwork. If he passed on Fields because of that, I understand. Otherwise, and it doesn’t matter how good PS2 ends up or if Fields is a total bust, I can’t agree with the decision. Especially since the decision to move on from Drew almost certainly was made prior to the draft. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Pre-season is rather "vanilla" and Checkdown was trying to win a job, things usually open up in the regular season.  Playing the way he did in pre-season isn't going to win a lot of games, a veteran like Teddy will know he has to take more chances but I guess we'll see. To think he's gonna play just like he did in pre-season seems naive' and simplistic to me. 

Seems I read he scored  in each of his 4 drives so far. 3 TD's and 1FG (had a TD called back by penalty)

If he plays like he has in preseason we'll win a ton of games.

4 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

It makes absolutely no sense to play Teddy - and the decision to play Teddy points the finger at Paton for not drafting a QB. If you look back at the draft day thread I was repeatedly saying that Paton should trade up to take Fields when he dropped beyond 1.04 - and then he went and passed on him when Fields fell into his lap.

I'm over the fields bs but I've always felt like playing Teddy a month or two made sense kinda like the reverse Philly 2017 situation.  Not saying lock plays due to injury or Denver wins the title this year. I'm just saying offense is green it always made sense to go vet leader stabilize the o than when the team needs juice and guys are doing their job Lock having no pressure being the franchise qb now he's already written off he may surprise some people.  I've seen this story before. 

Drew Lock's stats for the preseason: 18/28 for 298 yards, 3TDs and 0 INTs for a quarterback rating of 138.7. Not sure what more a young QB could have done to earn a chance to prove himself in year 3. The three stooges clearly made up their minds on this competition 4 months ago and from what I watched tonight from our 1st string O, they're going to live to regret it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

Drew Lock's stats for the preseason: 18/28 for 298 yards, 3TDs and 0 INTs for a quarterback rating of 138.7. Not sure what more a young QB could have done to earn a chance to prove himself in year 3. The three stooges clearly made up their minds on this competition 4 months ago and from what I watched tonight from our 1st string O, they're going to live to regret it. 

I don't think it's in stone love post thanks for being voice of reason lol

Did you actually watch the games? A bunch of 3 and outs aka his signature move, stumbling over people's feet, throwing 5+ yards past his target, and a typical horrific fumble tonight. Lock is disgusting to watch man. He doesn't have potential, he kills your football team by doing all these things then throwing an amazing TD pass to keep you on the line and thinking he can "break out" 

So, I'm sure that a lot more than we're aware of went into the decision. That said, Teddy was 22/30, 242 yds, 3td's and 0 picks.

I'm just really pleased that between the two of them they never posted a QB rating below 100, threw no picks and both showed an understanding of the offense. We'll need both before the season is over. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

You can also list Josh Rosen, Mitchell Trubisky,  Sam Darnold, Jared Goff, etc as QB's that were drafted and expected to their teams QBOTF during their draft, not an exact science now is it ??? You keep HARPING about Fields, but he has as much of a chance to BUST as any of these high-round QB's

As AAA pointed out - it doesn't matter whether Fields becomes a bust - when you don't have a QB then you have to draft a QB, especially one who was ranked top two, when they fall into your lap. Not drafting a QB because they might be a bust is a recipe for being a bargain basement team indefinitely.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Did you actually watch the games? A bunch of 3 and outs aka his signature move, stumbling over people's feet, throwing 5+ yards past his target, and a typical horrific fumble tonight. Lock is disgusting to watch man. He doesn't have potential, he kills your football team by doing all these things then throwing an amazing TD pass to keep you on the line and thinking he can "break out" 

You weren't watching the games I watched - and you clearly didn't see the abysmal performance by checkdown Teddy against the Rams second string last night. Even with 3 and outs Lock performed better in the game.