What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

2 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

This conversation is overkill, if you want to defend grizmo's honor....great. But if I want to state I am sick of hearing "We shoulda drafted Fields at 1.9" for the millionth time, I guess I have that right too. 

That's more than OK to be tired of the take.   Why I chose to post on the history of 1st rounders, afterwards.   Just maybe he's not really the source - and I took it to be posting on the org needing to be more risk-willing with QB in Rd1 (and FTR, I'm not necessarily there with anyone, but with Fields, I'd agree).     It's not like he's alone in that camp.   All good.

The good news is with less than 10 days to go, we'll have something more to add on all fronts.....hopefully.

Edited by Broncofan

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I mean, this is a thread specifically on what to do for QB.   

Precisely! It's "what to do at QB", not "what we should have done at QB".

If we just stick to the thread topic it's all good. In 4 years when Fields is available we can start talking about him again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Precisely! It's "what to do at QB", not "what we should have done at QB".

If we just stick to the thread topic it's all good. In 4 years when Fields is available we can start talking about him again.

The decision not to draft Fields could well be a defining moment for the Broncos for the next 15 years  and unless Paton can pull a rabbit out of a hat it could also determine the success or failure of his tenure as GM. Paton may have no choice but to go out and spend 3 first rounders next year to draft a QB (who, like Fields, could well be a bust - although the signs with Fields are currently pointing in the opposite direction) in comparison to taking one this year when he fell into his lap. The cost in draft capital will impact the ability of the Broncos to build and maintain a roster. The fact that he chose not to draft Fields last April determines 'what to do at QB' - if he had draft Fields then the discussion would be off the table for 2/3 years at least - if not the next 15 years.

Edited by jolly red giant
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

The decision not to draft Fields could well be a defining moment for the Broncos for the next 15 years  and unless Paton can pull a rabbit out of a hat it could also determine the success or failure of his tenure as GM. Paton may have no choice but to go out and spend 3 first rounders next year to draft a QB (who, like Fields, could well be a bust - although the signs with Fields are currently pointing in the opposite direction) in comparison to taking one this year when he fell into his lap. The cost in draft capital will impact the ability of the Broncos to build and maintain a roster. The fact that he chose not to draft Fields last April determines 'what to do at QB' - if he had draft Fields then the discussion would be off the table for 2/3 years at least - if not the next 15 years.

Wow! Now that's speculation run rampant. 

Still not sure how it pertains to the thread topic though.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

Remember how when we passed on Josh Rosen how it was going to set our franchise back 15 years? (and to a lesser extent Josh Allen, but looking back it seems only AAA was beating that particular drum at the time) 

no one is doubting that we need a franchise QB. But you don’t swing for the fences if you believe it to be a bad ball. There are those that disagree with the assessment that Fields was not a great fit (personally I had him as the #2 QB, but I also think that this class after Lawrence was hugely over rated. Similar actually to the 2018 draft where mayfield, Darnell and Rosen were all sure fire future all pros and Allen was the toolsy QB with bad feet, poor accuracy who thrived against lesser competition (much like lance actually).

Good QBs come out every year. Great ones are much rarer. Can fields or jones be in that mayfield, Murray, Lamar Jackson, Watson tier of “good QBs who never win anything?” I guess. Are they going to be in the Rogers, Brady, Mahomes, category? Probably not. Only Lawrence is likely to be that (assuming Jacksonville doesn’t ruin him) with Lance having an outside shot. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Orangecrush151 said:

I like how jolly says all signs of fields point to the opposite of bust type, did you not watch his preseason, it was pretty dang pedestrian I’d say

He is doing all the things that Lock is only getting around to now - good feet, going through progressions, accurate throws. He is making mistakes like all rookies do. 

Remember Elway's first season - and I am not saying that Fields is anything remotely like Elway - he was pulled from the first two games with the team trailing for DeBerg to come in and win both games and then he lost three in a row before Reeves benched him and he only got back in when DeBerg got injured. Elway won 2 of the ten games he started (Kubiak actually won the one game that he started that season as a rookie) and Elway finished the season with 7TDs - 14INTs - and 6 fumbles and a passer rating of 54.9

Fields has looked good in pre-season - and the while it will take a couple of seasons before we know if he is any good - the draft capital that Paton will ultimately have to spend to get a rookie who has just as much potential to bust as Fields will dent the ability of the Broncos to maintain a competitive roster.

For your perusal - Jenkins didn't rate Fields coming into the draft

Edited by jolly red giant
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

This post is so bang on!!!  I really think that we will do something drastic next year with regard to qb and it could have been avoided had we taken a qb this year.   We will sell the farm for either a high draft pic to draft a qb or for a vet like Rogers.  So this years ignoring of qb when he was in our fn lap is a huge mistake.  Now I don't really know why but my thinking is if you didn't like Fields you should have liked Mac.  I disliked Mac a lot and so wanted Fields but look at the Pats now.  They think they got their guy and so in a way I think we missed out on two qb's - after all our management should be smarter than someone like me.  And ps I think Cam would be a step up for us.  Fwiw I'd go get him but only if he would get the vaccine shot. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

And you think they're not?

Sorry bud but with a straight line like that I couldn't resist.

lol I knew I set myself up.   Clearly our management are not that smart at all when it comes to qb.  Chickens with their heads cut off.    One poster mentioned we are in nfl purgatory due to qb issues - and its infinite nfl purgatory until qb is resolved.  Our management missed out on a huge opportunity that fell in our lap - FIELDS.  Wait and watch the capital we give up for a qb next year and I would have rather taken Fields even over psycho Rogers.  Ps I would have taken PS2 had there not been a qb there  BUT OH THERE WAS and maybe there were two qbs there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   And our management can't see the forest through the trees.  Revisit this at the end of the season and we'll know whose closer to the truth :) 

On 9/1/2021 at 5:56 PM, anewdawn said:

This post is so bang on!!!  I really think that we will do something drastic next year with regard to qb and it could have been avoided had we taken a qb this year.   We will sell the farm for either a high draft pic to draft a qb or for a vet like Rogers.  So this years ignoring of qb when he was in our fn lap is a huge mistake.  Now I don't really know why but my thinking is if you didn't like Fields you should have liked Mac.  I disliked Mac a lot and so wanted Fields but look at the Pats now.  They think they got their guy and so in a way I think we missed out on two qb's - after all our management should be smarter than someone like me.  And ps I think Cam would be a step up for us.  Fwiw I'd go get him but only if he would get the vaccine shot. 

Mike Evans on 104.3 The Fan said at the time that you don't take a QB to take a QB. And, he has a point. There have been a lot of QB's taken way too high (Rich Campbell, The Three Stooges from 2011, Mitch Trubisky, etc...), and you shouldn't just take one because it's the sexy pick. However, Fields should and could be better than those guys. He should have been the pick in this case.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53