What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, anewdawn said:

Speaking of Woody.  He wrote the below in the Gazette the other day regarding a trade up with Atlanta.

"As for the compensation for that potential move, it doesn’t seem too awful if what Woody provided is accurate. He states that the Broncos would give up their 9th overall selection, a third-round pick in 21, and a 2022 first-rounder while receiving the Falcons' 4th overall selection and a fifth-round pick in return".

I strongly believe that Fields won't last past two.  I mean if you are processing what you are watching in the nfl these days as far as quaterback play you can completely understand the love that is starting to go Fields way.  Having said that if he's there at four fantastic and having said that if this is what it takes to move up to fourth overall I would also do it for Lance.  I've been watching more and more film of late and I like what I see in him too.  Eleven more days before we all know where we stand.

also it appears that Paton favours Fields slightly as far as preference goes

Curious, why do you think Field will go over Wilson, most have Zach written in stone to the Jets. As for the compensation, I'd jump on it, seems fair to me. I can foresee out 2022 1st in about the 15th position at best so seems like a smart plan IMO.

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Curious, why do you think Field will go over Wilson, most have Zach written in stone to the Jets. As for the compensation, I'd jump on it, seems fair to me. I can foresee out 2022 1st in about the 15th position at best so seems like a smart plan IMO.

Fields come from a pro ready offence but basically he can run.  He is more versatile.  Now some may say a qb need not be fast but if you have processed what is going on in the nfl with regard to qb play running and the rpo offence are all the rage and fast is a big plus .  Fields is drawing a lot of attention of late for many reasons I and others have already posted about.    Not sure why he was downplayed at the start but I saw Brooks and Ross on the nfl network 2 days ago argue why he should be considered for one overall and they were sincere.  I tend to agree.  Lawrence is great but he has not shown any real improvement since his freshman year.  To me that's a huge red flag.  I would be doing my homework on Fields versus Lawrence so in my mind I can see going Lawrence one overall (he is hard to pass up and I think he will be damn good in the nfl)  but I am taking Fields at 2 especially if I am the Jets as their qb will need to run.  He will need to run for the hills cuz that team is just pure crap.  If they go OT at 18 that poor qb will have so few options open to him that he won't find anyone in that offence and again he will have to run.  I pity whoever the Jets take.  I also think Wilson is the media darling.  He comes from a small school with not the greatest competition.  I am not sold on him.    I can see Lawrence & Fields as 1, 2.  I think that SF wants Fields and yeah everyone is saying SF wants Jones but again thats the media -  but not sure who they take if those two are gone.  Now that the draft is drawing closer it just seems that with Fields there is growing interest - is it because the sane voices of the nfl draft community are finally being heard over the idiotic media voices?   I can't wait for the draft even if we don't get a qb but I am so hoping we do!  Mind you these are my opinions and of course the rest of us arm chair gm's are entitled to their own.  On the 29th we will find out a lot........  I obviously love Fields and am so hoping he is there at 4 for a possible trade up.  If the cost is what Paige described in his article, I like you think its a very fair price to pay............course the less the price the better for us........... 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

We can move past the non-sense of signing Smith now.

If there’s going to be a veteran it’s pretty much down to Bridgewater, Foles, Minshew or Jimmy G. I think it’ll be Minshew. They brought in Beathard to be their backup specifically so they can trade Minshew.

I think the only reason we haven’t done it yet is because we are keeping open the option of drafting a QB, but I think it’s likely we miss out on the QBs and bring Minshew in instead. Lock will still be the starter, but Minshew will be a much better backup than Driskell. 

43 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

If there’s going to be a veteran it’s pretty much down to Bridgewater, Foles, Minshew or Jimmy G. I think it’ll be Minshew. They brought in Beathard to be their backup specifically so they can trade Minshew.

I think the only reason we haven’t done it yet is because we are keeping open the option of drafting a QB, but I think it’s likely we miss out on the QBs and bring Minshew in instead. Lock will still be the starter, but Minshew will be a much better backup than Driskell. 

There are rumblings that Carolina will outright release Bridgewater.  I would usually doubt this but in the NFL its quite the norm.  Maybe we are waiting on that 

6 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

There are rumblings that Carolina will outright release Bridgewater.  I would usually doubt this but in the NFL its quite the norm.  Maybe we are waiting on that 

Of course they will, he’s ridiculously overpaid and they have a much better QB in Darnold. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Of course they will, he’s ridiculously overpaid and they have a much better QB in Darnold. 

And perhaps then we make a pitch.  I really liked his trajectory prior to his injury in Minny but after last year I am not so sure about him.  I thought he would do good last year and he really didn't.  But Foles and Minshew don't excite me at all and Jimmy G has one of Locks main problems which is injury prone.  It's kind of easy from where I stand why we haven't done anything re qb (though we did make an effort with regard to Stafford).  You can still have hope with re to Lock and if we don't get one of the top 4 qbs then maybe draft a Mond or Mills and let that never ending hope keep its window open with that new addition.............but hopefully somewhere along the line that hope translates into success!  It has to sooner or later doesn't it???????????????????   lol

Edited by anewdawn
correction

19 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Why would denver trade up rn if they don't even know who the niners want? I think it's a non story

If they are after one of those QBs specifically they’ll give the framework of a deal worked up with Atlanta in case one of them is there.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

If they are after one of those QBs specifically they’ll give the framework of a deal worked up with Atlanta in case one of them is there.  

I just think showing a hand before the draft is extremely stupid. If a Qb is there they like then I expect a trade. Patience has been Patons modo.

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

I'm just curious what standard you use to declare Darnold a "much better QB" then Terry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I just think showing a hand before the draft is extremely stupid. If a Qb is there they like then I expect a trade. Patience has been Patons modo.

It’s not showing your hand it’s due diligence.  Atlanta doesn’t need to know who you are targeting.  But you have a framework in place if there is a player or 2 you’re willing to trade up for. 

what’s extremely stupid is being unprepared and when someone you like unexpectedly falls you’re scrambling to trade up and that leads to over pays. 

who knows, maybe Atlanta’s price for #4 is too high but I guarantee that Paton has had some loose negotiations at the very least 

1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:

who knows, maybe Atlanta’s price for #4 is too high but I guarantee that Paton has had some loose negotiations at the very least 

I think you can find out the price without calling I mean there was a blue print with going from 12-3 9 spots 3rd best qb in the draft.

9-4 5 spots 4th best qb in class. 

Just now, thebestever6 said:

I think you can find out the price without calling I mean there was a blue print with going from 12-3 9 spots 3rd best qb in the draft.

9-4 5 spots 4th best qb in class. 

Oh I’m sure Paton has a price that’s set by historical precedence and Denver’s need/want for certain players but they’ve talked to Atlanta.  Who knows maybe Atlanta said we won’t trade it if players XYZ are available.  If that’s the case you move on to the next plan, which is why those convos happen before the draft when there is only 10 minutes to negotiate a deal

3 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Oh I’m sure Paton has a price that’s set by historical precedence and Denver’s need/want for certain players but they’ve talked to Atlanta.  Who knows maybe Atlanta said we won’t trade it if players XYZ are available.  If that’s the case you move on to the next plan, which is why those convos happen before the draft when there is only 10 minutes to negotiate a deal

Yeah but what I'm saying is the reports that albright said we haven't called atlanta does not shock me. I think you have your price willing to pay and the earlier you call the more desperate