What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

19 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

19 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

That’s right. Mentally it’s an entirely different game. These are skills he didn’t have to develop much in college. That’s why you have coaches that get paid the big bucks. Teach him. You can’t teach the size, game breaking speed or accuracy. 

FWIW, he apparently had the highest grade a QB has ever gotten on some recall test I didn’t even know existed. He’s clearly smart. 

Totally agree and that's why I think QB isn't on the Bronco's radar at #9.

This staff and FO need to show improvement this year in the W/L column. Very hard to do that with a rookie QB. 

I think you posted back in December that the wise thing to do would be, give Drew another season with the same offensive personnel, OC, system and a better OL and see if he makes the leap. Anyway, those sentiments I agree with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

This staff and FO need to show improvement this year in the W/L column. Very hard to do that with a rookie QB. 

I think you posted back in December that the wise thing to do would be, give Drew another season with the same offensive personnel, OC, system and a better OL and see if he makes the leap. Anyway, those sentiments I agree with.

Idk I tend to agree but rookies have different expectations now. I mean murray lit it up, russ wilson, Cam, Luck, newton, burrow, Herbert. 

I think rookies are expected to play well. Plus I think a new qb would give the coaches a longer leesh bc you wanna bring in guys who bought into that player not a new staff see Cutler. 

I still believe in Lock but like the Chargers did in 04 it's never a bad idea to hedge your bets. Always can trade a qb they don't grow on trees.

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Idk I tend to agree but rookies have different expectations now. I mean murray lit it up, russ wilson, Cam, Luck, newton, burrow, Herbert. 

I think rookies are expected to play well. Plus I think a new qb would give the coaches a longer leesh bc you wanna bring in guys who bought into that player not a new staff see Cutler. 

I still believe in Lock but like the Chargers did in 04 it's never a bad idea to hedge your bets. Always can trade a qb they don't grow on trees.

I’m too lazy, but I’d be curious of the W/L record for all those rookie QB’s you listed. Pretty sure it’s not too good....

38 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

I’m too lazy, but I’d be curious of the W/L record for all those rookie QB’s you listed. Pretty sure it’s not too good....

In most cases, we're talking about really bad rosters so I take basically nothing from that. It's not crazy to think a rookie could win with this roster. Plug in Justin Herbert with this upcoming Broncos team and you're probably at worst the 5th seed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I agree with the "win-now" aspect, but there really isn't a plug-and-play spot for any rookie to step into except maybe inside linebacker. But you can find starters at that spot on Day 2 every year. There's a lot of discussion now about RT being the smart play at 9, but that player wouldn't be projected to see the field either.

It's the perfect situation to take a quarterback if one falls into your lap. And if Drew is going to make it happen, he'll have even more motivation. If they're really jones'ing for an impact linebacker, you can always move up from 40 to get one. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

If wins and losses are the argument, then QB should undoubtedly be the pick. Nothing moves the needle more than quarterback play and going from unarguably one of the worst starters in the league to even league average is such a vast improvement over any other position. More and more often we see rookie quarterbacks step in and improve their teams immensely, even in some less than ideal situations. 

Having Baker Mayfield on this team does more than having a Patrick Willis.

• Like 3

Just now, rcpbawler said:

If wins and losses are the argument, then QB should undoubtedly be the pick. Nothing moves the needle more than quarterback play and going from unarguably one of the worst starters in the league to even league average is such a vast improvement over any other position. More and more often we see rookie quarterbacks step in and improve their teams immensely, even in some less than ideal situations. 

Having Baker Mayfield on this team does more than having a Patrick Willis.

Especially because realistically, what position does this team exactly need a massive upgrade on this year? I get if the Broncos want to amass talent for the future, at a Tackle for instance because James never plays or at S or CB after these 1 year deals are done, but as you're saying, how does getting another dude in those slots translate to 4 or 5 more wins we need to make the playoffs? I just don't see it unless the QB situation is resolved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Especially because realistically, what position does this team exactly need a massive upgrade on this year? I get if the Broncos want to amass talent for the future, at a Tackle for instance because James never plays or at S or CB after these 1 year deals are done, but as you're saying, how does getting another dude in those slots translate to 4 or 5 more wins we need to make the playoffs? I just don't see it unless the QB situation is resolved.

Yep, Paton even made it clear that every move is with the future in mind and the best way to have long term, sustained success? Get a franchise quarterback. I love Sewell and, even in last year's stacked tackle class, he's my favorite. But what do you do with him this year? Bench your 13 mil RT and plug him in? Slide your expensive RG that you paid a good chunk of change for last season out of the lineup and have him play guard? Or your young, hopeful LG out and have him play there? Sit on the bench? I love the dude but it's not ideal. As for surtain, what, have him come in only dime packages, or replace the dude you just paid 10 mil a year for? Again, love the dude but it's a nothing burger this year. Micah Parsons already has the red flags in regards to his maturity but he also sat out a year, and even freaks like Devin White/Bush and Roquan Smith really didn't step in right away and set the world on fire. 

All said, if Denver doesn't like the quarterbacks and believes that none are worthy of either a trade up or pick 1.9, then don't take them. I'm just of the belief that one of Lance/Fields would be worth it

11 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Tea leaves seem to suggest the FO isn’t gung-ho on Fields

So I am under a fn stay at home order due to Covid.  Been watching way too much nfl network.  Yesterday they did the AFC West and Tom Pelisero who covers us said he does not think the Broncos are too high on the qb's.  Didn't really catch if that statement alluded to 4 going off the board in a row or three with the possibility of us trading up and yeah thats quite a big miss by me as 3 off the board vs 4 is huge (maybe another poster saw what he said in its entirety).  But I have to agree with the posters who know that a non qb will do very little for this team.  We rode Lock last year.  I remember his draft year saying if you like him take him at 10 but I don't have much hope in him anymore at all due to two factors a)he's just not that good and b) he appears injury prone.  I've eaten way too much crow in my life and I remember Stafford being injury prone his first few years and then he became an iron man and a pretty decent qb.

21 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

So I am under a fn stay at home order due to Covid.  Been watching way too much nfl network.  Yesterday they did the AFC West and Tom Pelisero who covers us said he does not think the Broncos are too high on the qb's.  Didn't really catch if that statement alluded to 4 going off the board in a row or three with the possibility of us trading up and yeah thats quite a big miss by me as 3 off the board vs 4 is huge (maybe another poster saw what he said in its entirety).  But I have to agree with the posters who know that a non qb will do very little for this team.  We rode Lock last year.  I remember his draft year saying if you like him take him at 10 but I don't have much hope in him anymore at all due to two factors a)he's just not that good and b) he appears injury prone.  I've eaten way too much crow in my life and I remember Stafford being injury prone his first few years and then he became an iron man and a pretty decent qb.

Honestly we have no clue what Paton thinks or likes I doubt he'd be transparent he reminds me of mayock who wouldn't tell his own scouts or family who he liked or was picking.

12 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Honestly we have no clue what Paton thinks or likes I doubt he'd be transparent he reminds me of mayock who wouldn't tell his own scouts or family who he liked or was picking.

Oh for sure.  I've thought of that but the analysts are usually pretty good at getting some sort of feel for what a team is thinking.  Perhaps Paton is a master at keeping his cards close to his vest  Going to be interesting thats for sure.............

3 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

Oh for sure.  I've thought of that but the analysts are usually pretty good at getting some sort of feel for what a team is thinking.  Perhaps Paton is a master at keeping his cards close to his vest  Going to be interesting thats for sure.............

Eh Elway first draft we had no clue about two I get the same vibes I hear a couple of guys linked to Denver but I doubt they'd show a hand if they were interested for a qb

Could be smoke, who knows... but Rapoport isn’t a click-bait hot take guy so interesting if nothing else. This, combined with Allbright throwing water on Fields, leads me to believe it’s more likely be either Mac or Lance if they target a QB early R1 - especially with rumblings recently that Fields could drop.

Risner leaked that Lock has been working with Manning this offseason, seems the FO has been monitoring this development. Realistically Locks game totals show he's played only 18 games barely over one full season. Most QB's make their biggest jump between 1st and 2nd season, hopefully Peyton cans share some wisdom to make this leap.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/