What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Personally, I really like Fields (anticipating Wilson and Lawrence are already gone). Rumors are the 49ers really like Jones but I don't see them passing on Fields.

My daydream consists of those matchup between Mahomes and Fields for the next 12-15yrs. Mahomes has that swagger but it feels like Fields has some too, is faster than Mahomes and we may have a better supporting cast ....EPIC battles for years to come.

If Fields falls past #3, I'm all in if I'm Paton

• Like 2

Welp, Darnold is no longer an option, but importantly it would seem Carolina is also no longer in the market for a QB.

Still think if we want QB we're going to have to trade up. 1-3 are locked in at QB. If the Falcons want to go that route they can land whomever is left I suppose.

If SF takes Mac Jones, I'd hope we trade up for whichever of Fields/Lance is there. I've come around to saying it's worth it to gamble on either of them.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Welp, Darnold is no longer an option, but importantly it would seem Carolina is also no longer in the market for a QB.

Still think if we want QB we're going to have to trade up. 1-3 are locked in at QB. If the Falcons want to go that route they can land whomever is left I suppose.

If SF takes Mac Jones, I'd hope we trade up for whichever of Fields/Lance is there. I've come around to saying it's worth it to gamble on either of them.

I'll keep saying it.  Paton is fed up of needing a qb.  He dealt with it in Minny and won't deal with it long in Denver.  Wait and watch - he knows we are one fn piece away from being real good.  If Lance or Fields is available through Atl and they are willing to trade it's a done deal.  If Atl takes one and we still like who is left we will trade with Cincy!

37 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

I'll keep saying it.  Paton is fed up of needing a qb.  He dealt with it in Minny and won't deal with it long in Denver.  Wait and watch - he knows we are one fn piece away from being real good.  If Lance or Fields is available through Atl and they are willing to trade it's a done deal.  If Atl takes one and we still like who is left we will trade with Cincy!

I think people underestimate how specific most teams are with their QB tastes. Even if Fields/Lance are consensus top 5 picks, there could easily be QB-needy teams that don’t think they’re franchise guys, and won’t pick them in the top 20. The position is so incredibly scheme-sensitive, and I don’t think most coaching staffs are flexible enough for differing skill sets. 

In regards to Darnold, thank goodness. The Tannehill comparisons are rampant, but I really don’t think they’re warranted. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Carolina just traded for Sam Darnold, limits competition for the 4th pick from ATL or a trade for DW4 if that's the way it roles.

I don't think you have to go that far down to the fourth, why not trade for Detroit's 7th rounder?  

However, I think, or coming around to the thought that the Broncos should give Lock one more chance, trade for a vet (Fole), and draft a Mond or Mills just in case, and make the defense and offensive line stellar through this draft.  

The reason is that if by next year, if the Broncos post a winning record, or make the playoffs with bad QB play, then a vet next year...a Wilson, or maybe Aaron Rodgers will see themselves as the missing pieces a Championship run like the Broncos did when Tebow won a playoff game...we knew we were a QB away from some Super Bowls.  I am hoping we build everything else up to a point where QBs will want to play in Denver again. 

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I don't think you have to go that far down to the fourth, why not trade for Detroit's 7th rounder?  

However, I think, or coming around to the thought that the Broncos should give Lock one more chance, trade for a vet (Fole), and draft a Mond or Mills just in case, and make the defense and offensive line stellar through this draft.  

The reason is that if by next year, if the Broncos post a winning record, or make the playoffs with bad QB play, then a vet next year...a Wilson, or maybe Aaron Rodgers will see themselves as the missing pieces a Championship run like the Broncos did when Tebow won a playoff game...we knew we were a QB away from some Super Bowls.  I am hoping we build everything else up to a point where QBs will want to play in Denver again. 

Agree with the 7th pick but that also makes it easier for the Pats/Bears to trade up as well. I'm OK with checking in on Lock for one more season unless we could get Fields, I'm still a bit skeptical on Lance and definitely not on Jones' bandwagon. 

Looking ahead, if we don't select a QB, I can see a a trade for a top QB as you suggest and there's also a few in next years draft as well (not to the same extent as this years) but it would allow us to continue to build this roster into something formidible. 

13 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

How cheap could Teddy come at this point? I would throw a 2022 5th at CAR. 

I think they keep him for this season. He's too expensive to cut and they still eat 10 mil dead cap on a trade. We'd only be paying him 12 mil in that scenario, which isn't bad for a QB, but I just don't think he's very good. I'd rather hang on to the picks/cash than bring in a average QB with not a lot of upside.