What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

What makes you think that the fan base ready to turn on a QB after 1/2 of an offseason and 18 starts doesn’t have patience?😂

Broncos fans have little patience, but that's frankly because we've gone through a bunch of trash options at QB over the years instead of actually trying to invest in the position, bite the bullet, and find the long-term guy. 

Lock seems to me like a guy with an absolute ceiling of a Top 15 QB. More likely, he's in that 20-ish range. I'd love to be wrong, and maybe with a 2nd year in this system he'll prove me wrong, but the Broncos also can't waste a very favorable cap situation waiting for Drew Lock. If Lock takes the step this year, commit long term. If he's a decidedly average QB (~20th in the league or whatever), I think you have to move on. We gotta decide whether we want to be more like the Vikings with Cousins or Falcons with Ryan, or gamble and end up like the Bills with Allen/Chiefs with Mahomes.

4 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

If the cost of moving up from 1.9 to 1.5 is stomachable Fields would be REALLY fun in O&B

I'll believe SF is taking Mac Jones at 1.3 when the pick is in.    Sadly, if that happens, if ATL is going QB, they'll likely go ceiling, and take Lance.   

I have no problem if Fields is available at 5 or 7, to see about moving up.....but I don't think it's that viable.   Remember that SF still has to contend with a team moving up with NYJ 1.2 to snipe them.    CAR, ATL.....all pose some risk.  There's no cost to SF throwing a smokescreen to try and keep teams from feeling they have to move up to 1.2 to get Fields/Lance.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I'll believe SF is taking Mac Jones at 1.3 when the pick is in.    Sadly, if that happens, if ATL is going QB, they'll likely go ceiling, and take Lance.   

I have no problem if Fields is available at 5 or 7, to see about moving up.....but I don't think it's that viable.   Remember that SF still has to contend with a team moving up with NYJ 1.2 to snipe them.    CAR, ATL.....all pose some risk.  There's no cost to SF throwing a smokescreen to try and keep teams from feeling they have to move up to 1.2 to get Fields/Lance.

Don’t know who SF is going to take.  But Jets aren’t trading 2 - they’re pickingWilson.  You can take that to the bank.  If SF take Lance or Jones (I think Kyle wants Lance) Fields and the other will be there at 4 .  What does ATL do?  Do you really take a QB at 4 and have them sit 2+ years? I don’t see it.  I think they trade out (if they can), take Pitts if they don’t. But one thing’s for sure,they won’t be trading with Carolina.  And since Cinccy, Miami, andDetroit are unlikely to be chasing a QB, a trade up to 4 should be ours, if we want it.  
I think 50/50 chance Fields is available at 4, and if we want him badly enough, he could be a Bronco.  Do we want him? 

2 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Don’t know who SF is going to take.  But Jets aren’t trading 2 - they’re pickingWilson.  You can take that to the bank.  If SF take Lance or Jones (I think Kyle wants Lance) Fields and the other will be there at 4 .  What does ATL do?  Do you really take a QB at 4 and have them sit 2+ years? I don’t see it.  I think they trade out (if they can), take Pitts if they don’t. But one thing’s for sure,they won’t be trading with Carolina.  And since Cinccy, Miami, andDetroit are unlikely to be chasing a QB, a trade up to 4 should be ours, if we want it.  
I think 50/50 chance Fields is available at 4, and if we want him badly enough, he could be a Bronco.  Do we want him? 

I think the most likely scenario is NYJ takes Wilson at 1.2.  But most likely isn't certain - and it costs nothing for the 49ers to create as much smoke on their intentions.  As long as there's a team ahead of them, it's just safe practice.  

As for ATL - Ryan is 38.   They could very well think long-term if they see Lance as the next Mahomes.   I mean, KC was prepared to go that route if need be.   I think ATL will certainly listen, but I wouldn't discount QB with ATL.  It's pretty clear that Ryan isn't going to be around when they return to contention.   But yeah, Carolina would have to grossly overpay to get ATL to bite.   ATL moving out is likely predicated on taking an offer that's just too good to refuse, so it won't be cheap.

Now, if ATL passed on QB - then man, it's wide open.    It's pretty clear Paton is flexible - but wants to upgrade QB.  He made a play for Stafford (1st for 2nd not enough obv).   He's been interested in Watson, obv. that's a no go now, and who knows how long this takes (and the result).  And so I think he'd consider moving up for one of the top 4 QB's in this draft class. 

The real Q is whether Paton would consider staying at 1.9 for Mac Jones - if we were offered the big pick package (19-20 plus a first/3rd, 25 plus first/2nd), then man, it's tempting.    Keep in mind it's not just Watson who could become available - Russell Wilson would be available next offseason if SEA doesn't progress (and their best 5 players besides Wilson are all UFA's).   Plus the draft, etc.   If you don't think Mac Jones is elite ceiling, I'm all for taking the package.    Kirk Cousins V2 isn't enough in the AFCW, sadly.   Given how strongly a move down is being touted by Allbright & others, if they don't go QB, then it seems he's only zeroing on specific guys, not just the best QB left.

Edited by Broncofan

By now it is evident that Trey Lance (SAMI: 5-3-4-1 in [arm] Strength-Accuracy-Mobility-Intelligence out of 5) will be available at #9.  Should Paton trade up to #4 for whomever is left, be it Justin Fields (4-5-4-2) or Mac Jones (4-5-2-5)?

I certainly would.

4 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

By now it is evident that Trey Lance (SAMI: 5-3-4-1 in [arm] Strength-Accuracy-Mobility-Intelligence out of 5) will be available at #9.  Should Paton trade up to #4 for whomever is left, be it Justin Fields (4-5-4-2) or Mac Jones (4-5-2-5)?

I certainly would.

Huh? 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Huh? 

Quantifying consensus. 

Translation:  If Justin Fields is available after Pick #3 should the Broncos trade up for him (and how much should they offer)?  Ditto if it's Mac Jones.

Assuming someone else trades up to take the fourth QB in the 2021 draft, should Denver take strong armed and fleet of foot Trey Lance (despite his average accuracy and rawness) at #9?

5 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Quantifying consensus. 

Translation:  If Justin Fields is available after Pick #3 should the Broncos trade up for him (and how much should they offer)?  Ditto if it's Mac Jones.

Assuming someone else trades up to take the fourth QB in the 2021 draft, should Denver take strong armed and fleet of foot Trey Lance (despite his average accuracy and rawness) at #9?

Trey Lance is going at 3, or at an absolute minimum he will be off the board at 8

14 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Quantifying consensus. 

Where are you getting this information and why are you so certain it’s correct?