What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

50 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Risner leaked that Lock has been working with Manning this offseason, seems the FO has been monitoring this development. Realistically Locks game totals show he's played only 18 games barely over one full season. Most QB's make their biggest jump between 1st and 2nd season, hopefully Peyton cans share some wisdom to make this leap.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/

That's a great article and I couldn't agree more. 

Success came too easy for Lock his first year and it showed. He wasn't prepared last year, didn't realize DC's around the league had lot's of film on him now, figured he had the game sorted out and it was easy. Had his dances and his "I'm a gunslinger" shtick going on until he kept getting the crap knocked out of him, losing ballgames and finally realized he didn't know how to play the game. 

This is the year. The fact is he has all the physical skills required to excel at this level. At this point it's all mental, work ethic and hard work. Having PM work with him is kind of exciting. He's probably the best at the mental aspect of QB that's ever played. (apologies to Joe Montana and Tom Brady)

Personally I'm pretty excited to see what he brings to the table this year. Like the article stated "he gives his head coach the best chance to win in 2021, relative to drafting a QB in the first round. "

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

That's a great article and I couldn't agree more. 

Success came too easy for Lock his first year and it showed. He wasn't prepared last year, didn't realize DC's around the league had lot's of film on him now, figured he had the game sorted out and it was easy. Had his dances and his "I'm a gunslinger" shtick going on until he kept getting the crap knocked out of him, losing ballgames and finally realized he didn't know how to play the game. 

This is the year. The fact is he has all the physical skills required to excel at this level. At this point it's all mental, work ethic and hard work. Having PM work with him is kind of exciting. He's probably the best at the mental aspect of QB that's ever played. (apologies to Joe Montana and Tom Brady)

Personally I'm pretty excited to see what he brings to the table this year. Like the article stated "he gives his head coach the best chance to win in 2021, relative to drafting a QB in the first round. "

If he is improving it will give us a chance to take advantage of this years talent, especially with the QB's pushing top 5 talent towards our pick. On the flip side, if Lock remains similar to his play of last year, we've just missed out on what could be out best shot at a franchise QB as we probably will not be drafting in the top 10  anytime soon and this is a QB-rich draft that may not happen again. 

13 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Risner leaked that Lock has been working with Manning this offseason, seems the FO has been monitoring this development. Realistically Locks game totals show he's played only 18 games barely over one full season. Most QB's make their biggest jump between 1st and 2nd season, hopefully Peyton cans share some wisdom to make this leap.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/

Why you talking about Peyton's cans?

I mean it’s great and all but it’s not like Peyton is walking thru that door to coach Lock everyday so watching some film is probably not going to make a massive difference. At what point has he started enough games to say he doesn’t have it? Maybe the biggest thing is that the rumors light a fire under him but that shouldn’t prevent us from taking Lance or Fields if available at 9 unless we get a good trade offer.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:38 AM, broncosfan07 said:

I mean it’s great and all but it’s not like Peyton is walking thru that door to coach Lock everyday so watching some film is probably not going to make a massive difference. At what point has he started enough games to say he doesn’t have it? Maybe the biggest thing is that the rumors light a fire under him but that shouldn’t prevent us from taking Lance or Fields if available at 9 unless we get a good trade offer.

Agreed. Maybe Im biased here, but if somehow Justin Fields falls to Denver at #9 and they pass on him because they are banking on a Josh Allen type turnaround from Lock--I will be very upset.

I am so sick of this franchise kicking the preverbial can down the road on the QB position.

I would like for them to be aggressive addressing the position for the first time in 15+ years.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Agreed. Maybe Im biased here, but if somehow Justin Fields falls to Denver at #9 and they pass on him because they are banking on a Josh Allen type turnaround from Lock--I will be very upset.

I am so sick of this franchise kicking the preverbial can down the road on the QB position.

I would like for them to be aggressive addressing the position for the first time in 15+ years.

Signing PM, 2 failed #1 draft picks. That' wasn't aggressive?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

To be fair, Lynch and Tebow were both late round 1st, Osweiler and Lock both mid-to-late 2nds. And PM was still the #1 FA acquisition this team has ever had so worth the gamble IMO. But if the Broncos had move up 8-10 spots in 2017 we could have had Mahomes or Watson (gotta love 20/20 hindsight, right ?) but Elway went most current and pressing need instead of looking towards the future.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Signing PM wasnt being aggressive in the draft. It was a bandaid on a problem area. A huge bandaid! lol Paxton Lynch was the 26th pick and the 3rd QB taken in a 2 QB class. Drew Lock was a 2nd round pick and the 4th QB taken in the class. Tim Tebow....cmon. None of those 3 QBs were ever considered a great QB prospect. They all had yuge question marks which is why they all slid past their 'projected spot'

The Denver Broncos have drafted 1 QB in the top 10 of the draft in the past 25 years. John Elway.

At some point, you need to put your nuts on the table and trade a bunch of picks to make sure you secure a high skill level, highly thought after and highly desired Quarterback for your team. The Broncos have tried to make these 2nd tier QBs 'their guy' for far too long.

Sell the farm, do whatever it takes. GET YOUR GUY. Quit letting every other team make a move to get a highly sought after QB while you sit there picking boogers.

I also dont know who needs to hear this, but Justin Fields is twice the QB prospect as Drew Lock was.

Quit playing around, get your guy. Whoever that is. I just hope its Justin Fields.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

It was also 38 years ago.

More reason to finally commit to a top tier QB prospect. The general point being that Im tired of drafting all of these clear 2nd tier QB prospects and think its LONG overdue for the Broncos to be the aggressors for once.

11 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Embracing Lock may be a virtue born out of necessity.

I think he certainly should get a one more year to see what he can do. I mean if the work he is putting with PM works out, and he has a Josh Allen type of transformation, I am all for it.   

But, that also doesn't mean we shouldn't draft Fields or Lance to put behind him just in case. 

If the Broncos go that route, then we have one QB that can be traded next year, hopefully for a high #1. 

Alas, if the stick with Lock, and have full confidence in him, that #9 pick should be used to trade back unless they want to sit and see if Sewell falls to them.  It would be cool to see Sewell on the back of a Bronco jersey again.  

Edited by jsthomp2007

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think he certainly should get a one more year to see what he can do. I mean if the work he is putting with PM works out, and he has a Josh Allen type of transformation, I am all for it.   

But, that also doesn't mean we shouldn't draft Fields or Lance to put behind him just in case. 

If the Broncos go that route, then we have one QB that can be traded next year, hopefully for a high #1. 

Alas, if the stick with Lock, and have full confidence in him, that #9 pick should be used to trade back unless they want to sit and see if Sewell falls to them.  It would be cool to see Sewell on the back of a Bronco jersey again.  

I think given how set the Broncos roster is at this point with no glaring needs outside of maybe RT depth and LB (which could be got in the 2nd-3rd rounds) I def. wouldnt rule it out.

Want to know that you have a really good young QB? Take another one in the draft and put them against eachother in a camp battle. The cream will rise to the top. Taking Lance/Fields will either make sure Lock has that 'Josh Allen' leap or give the Broncos another good young QB who beat out Lock.

I just dont want to see another year of inferior QB play wasting all of this talent on the team. Everyone gets 1 year older and contract times comes 1 year closer for many. I dont want to waste it on the 15% chance Lock magically learns how to read defenses and stops throwing interceptions.