What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

52 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

I'd like Baltimore to trade us there two late round ones plus more and in that way I might take the top rated lb or corner along with Najee.  I do like your thinking with regard to Najee!

What if Parson falls, and you can get Parson and Najee in the 1st, and then land Mill with the 40th...that'd be quite awesome. Maybe a pipe dream, but I remember when Myles Jack and the other ILB for the Cowboys fell out of the 1st...so, it's not impossible...but that would be one heck of a haul for your first three picks.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Well, as far as what to do at QB, I think we just did it.

The more I think of the Bridgewater trade the more I think more is to follow re qb.  Prior to Bridgewater there was no one who could mentor a qb draft pick.  There is no way Lock could be a mentor when he himself needs mentoring.  I think getting Bridgewater may be the signal that more is to come re qb...............  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anewdawn said:

The more I think of the Bridgewater trade the more I think more is to follow re qb.  Prior to Bridgewater there was no one who could mentor a qb draft pick.  There is no way Lock could be a mentor when he himself needs mentoring.  I think getting Bridgewater may be the signal that more is to come re qb...............  

You could be right. Prior to getting Bridgewater drafting a QB #1 made no sense to me. Now, with an established vet as a week 1 starter and a young rookie QB to learn the business it would make sense. Lock would have to go though.

Rypien by now probably knows the offense as well as the coaches so he'd also be a great asset in the QB room.

Ps I just saw the Daniel Jeremiah final mock.  He had us trading up to the Lions pick at 7 and selecting Fields.  He mentioned today's trade and noted that with the caliber of qbs in our division (Mahomes/Herbert) we still know it needs doing.  I liked what I saw but am not sold on it.  I ask all of you - how would you react if we don't trade up and get leaped frog by a team like the Pats who take Fields ahead of us.   My god I think I would hate this more than Mahomes being in KC, than Herbert being a Charger...................

15 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

Ps I just saw the Daniel Jeremiah final mock.  He had us trading up to the Lions pick at 7 and selecting Fields.  He mentioned today's trade and noted that with the caliber of qbs in our division (Mahomes/Herbert) we still know it needs doing.  I liked what I saw but am not sold on it.  I ask all of you - how would you react if we don't trade up and get leaped frog by a team like the Pats who take Fields ahead of us.   My god I think I would hate this more than Mahomes being in KC, than Herbert being a Charger...................

If Fields falls to 7 and we pass on him, that would be hard to swallow.   Sure, Watson could get cleared.  Sure, Wilson might be available next year.   Sure, we could have draft capital to move up in Rd1 for 2022 for a guy Paton likes.

But man, if you have the shot to get a guy like Fields...and it's not going to cost a 2nd 1st even...ugh.  

I'll believe SF isn't going Fields at 1.3 when the pick is in.    SF goes Fields, then going Rd1 rookie gets pretty iffy (doubt Lance makes it to 1.9 in that case, and there's a lot more uncertainty - I can support the pick if Paton believes, especially with Bridge as the vet QB).    If SF goes Jones, man there are lot of paths to get QB pretty cheaply.   It would be very hard to swallow passing there.   SF goes Fields, though, I can see a lot of paths closing for Rd1 rookie to feel good about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

If Fields falls to 7 and we pass on him, that would be hard to swallow.   Sure, Watson could get cleared.  Sure, Wilson might be available next year.   Sure, we could have draft capital to move up in Rd1 for 2022 for a guy Paton likes.

But man, if you have the shot to get a guy like Fields...and it's not going to cost a 2nd 1st even...ugh.  

I'll believe SF isn't going Fields at 1.3 when the pick is in.    SF goes Fields, then going Rd1 rookie gets pretty iffy (doubt Lance makes it to 1.9 in that case, and there's a lot more uncertainty - I can support the pick if Paton believes, especially with Bridge as the vet QB).    If SF goes Jones, man there are lot of paths to get QB pretty cheaply.   It would be very hard to swallow passing there.   SF goes Fields, though, I can see a lot of paths closing for Rd1 rookie to feel good about.

Yeah, because I have heard rumblings about the Falcons taking Lance if he is available (don't know how true they are. I found them on Walter Football, but from a USA Today source). They also have on their rumor page that Denver likes Jones and Fields.

10 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Yeah, because I have heard rumblings about the Falcons taking Lance if he is available (don't know how true they are. I found them on Walter Football, but from a USA Today source). They also have on their rumor page that Denver likes Jones and Fields.

Paton comes from an organization that has trotted out the likes of Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder, Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater and Kirk Cousins. And spent heavily, either with premium draft picks or big FA money, to acquire them as starting QBs.  

Therefore I’m not surprised to hear they might turn a keen eye on Jones - who is about as physically average as the QBs Paton drafted/signed in Minny - but doubt we’d have interest in Fields. I mean, why draft an athletic QB with a big arm and high upside? Doesn’t fit Paton’s history at all. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Paton comes from an organization that has trotted out the likes of Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder, Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater and Kirk Cousins. And spent heavily, either with premium draft picks or big FA money. 

Therefore I’m not surprised to hear they might turn a keen eye on Jones - who is about as physically average as the QBs Paton drafted/signed in Minny - but doubt we’d have interest in Fields. I mean, why draft an athletic QB with a big arm and high upside? Doesn’t fit Paton’s history at all. 

I really don’t get all the Mac Jones hate.  I like Fields better, but Jones is a really good prospect.  He’s very similar to Joe Burrow.  Jones having a slightly better arm, IMO, but being less athletic.  I also think he’s a better prospect than Tua who went 1.3 last year.

If Jones is there at 1.9 Denver should be running to the podium to turn in the pick. 

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Paton comes from an organization that has trotted out the likes of Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder, Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater and Kirk Cousins. And spent heavily, either with premium draft picks or big FA money, to acquire them as starting QBs.  

I get where your coming from with regard to Minny and its qb strategy.  I'll say it again though I think Bridgewater would have been a very special qb had the injury not happened.  Having said that though I think that Paton getting Bridgewater was smart on his part.  He is better than Lock (yeah you can argue that), he is a mentor and there is no way you can say that about Lock and I just hope (there is that fn word again - hope) that in getting Bridgewater it allows us to take a swing for the fences.  We have to move up to get Fields!!  On DJ's mock yesterday Rich Eisen said that picks 3-4 are pivotal tonight.  I think they are the most pivotal picks for us.  Ideally SF takes Mac (believe it when I see it).  Then regardless of who SF takes Atlanta can't go qb.  I would be least happy if Mac is the one of the top five still left and we end up with him but I'll go back to that magic word which the draft is all about - hope and hope Mac does work out.  Again I find it weird that basically this whole forum doesn't want Jones (myself included) but this is a pretty damn good forum...........    

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Oh man, the revisionism. 

1. The Vikes have drafted 4th (the year after drafting Ponder), 9th (the year they took Teddy), and 11th (the year after drafting Teddy) over the last 12 years. Besides that, it’s been late-teens and 20’s. Where exactly was there play at a top flight QB in the draft? 

2. Teddy was viewed by many as a top guy, and they moved up to get him. Ponder was a helium athlete with tons of upside but absolutely no floor. Again, they’ve taken moderate risks to acquire The Guy. 

3. Matt Cassel was brought in to push/back up Ponder. He was never The Guy. Sam Bradford was brought in because they were legit SB contenders who lost their QB in training camp (imagine the desperation!). Kirk Cousins was a borderline top 10 guy entering the prime of his career, and they were drafting 30th overall that spring. 

They’ve made big plays for QB’s, most of them extremely reasonable bets when put in context. But that doesn’t justify your outrage, so keep scrolling, I guess.

29 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

They’ve made big plays for QB’s, most of them extremely reasonable bets when put in context. But that doesn’t justify your outrage, so keep scrolling, I guess.

It's not outrage. I was simply making a point about the kinds of QBs that Paton's former regime targeted. A first round pick is a first round pick, you're spending it on a QB. They have used guys like Keenum and Bradford because their roster was stacked and they wanted a "game-manager" type.

My point was principally that, given the track record in Minnesota, a QB of Jones' profile fits far better than a Lance or a Fields type. 

Hey boys, so I haven't read any of the previous 85 pages. But at this point give me BPA at 9 and take Trask at 71. I wouldn't hate Fields at 9 but I would hate Lance or Jones. I'm higher on Trask than either of those two because he has better experience, a difficult schedule he has already played against, his quarterback effect is positive, and his measurables are great.

Edited by jonnyj20
  • Like 1