BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Justin Fields Throwing Beyond His First Read

Who Said It Throws Beyond First Read Are They Right?
Some Unnamed Source 7 Probably Not
Me 42 Most Definitely

Assumed no one would click on it, so thank you. The article does a great job of going in depth not only pointing out how hilarious it is to say he never goes beyond his first read, but points out he did it more than the other QBs in this class....and also explains why it doesn't even necessarily have a positive or negative connotation to it 

• Like 3

Just now, Jlash said:

Assumed no one would click on it, so thank you. The article does a great job of going in depth not only pointing out how hilarious it is to say he never goes beyond his first read, but points out he did it more than the other QBs in this class....and also explains why it doesn't even necessarily have a positive or negative connotation to it 

The sheer # of throws and completions that Lawrence and Jones had on screens, bubbles, and other throws within 2 yards of the LOS is somewhere between 25-30%, as opposed to Fields who is lowest at under 10% (NFL Draft forum for reference).

I understand the knocks on Fields and OSU's system, and yet it's funny to me that no one knock's Clemson or Alabama's systems in the "pro readiness" departments in these regards.

The benchmark for progressions and NFL throws seems to be a constantly moving and convenient one IMO.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The sheer # of throws and completions that Lawrence and Jones had on screens, bubbles, and other throws within 2 yards of the LOS is somewhere between 25-30%, as opposed to Fields who is lowest at under 10% (NFL Draft forum for reference).

I understand the knocks on Fields and OSU's system, and yet it's funny to me that no one knock's Clemson or Alabama's systems in the "pro readiness" departments in these regards.

The benchmark for progressions and NFL throws seems to be a constantly moving and convenient one IMO.

You leave Trevor out of this 

21 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

My opinion hasn't changed. Even the column agrees. He's first read then runs. Now that doesn't mean he doesnt throw to someone else during scramble drill. But he doesn't progress while in pocket 

You're not wrong, and @Blue and I had a discussion about this yesterday. That's essentially OSU's entire scheme, unless they're running a flood/bootleg concept, which they do A LOT of off of their outside zone scheme. The entire offense is predicated on identifying 1 vs. 2 high on the safeties, then from there it's an outside read route by the WR (man vs. zone, dependent upon the safety, etc.). They don't have too many pro style concepts from route combinations except for off of boots and designed rollouts.

Therefore, while totally valid, it makes it hard to gauge whether Fields CANNOT do it, or simply that he DOES NOT because of the scheme (or both).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blue said:

I put in my notes for Mac Jones that he has a tendency to stare down his first read as well. It's hardly a Fields-only issue.

True. The author did note that while Jones had by far the lowest number of throws to anyone other than his first read, a lot of the times it was pre snap recognition deciding that, so another reason saying "doesn't go beyond first read" isn't necessarily an indicator either way.