Want vs. should vs. will happen at QB 21

LoganF89

I want to know yalls scenarios at QB next year, would like realistic scenarios. If you make a trade I want to know The trade whether it’s draft trade or for a veteran, if you sign a veteran in FA I want to know the contract

Want- Wilson to fall to around 10 and us trade our 1st, 3rd, and future 3rd or 4th to move up for him. Alex Smith Retires

Allen/Wilson/Heinicke

Should- take Waddle or Smith at 19 if available and select Mond in the 3rd. Alex Smith Retires/Cut

Allen/Mond/Heinicke

Will- Mac Jones at 19(Trey Lance if he’s there which I doubt) Alex Smith stays one more year

Allen/Jones/Smith

what’s your scenarios!? 

Can someone explain the Stafford interest?  I seriously do not get it.  He will be 33 years old by next season.  He's made the Pro Bowl once in his career.  Once.  And that was in 2014.  In 12 seasons he's made the playoffs only 3 times, and only once since Calvin Johnson retired.  He's never won a playoff game.  In his last 3 seasons he hasn't eclipsed 4,100 passing yards.  He will cost us a draft pick and be expensive on our cap.  Acquiring him would be completely idiotic in my opinion.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Can someone explain the Stafford interest?  I seriously do not get it.  He will be 33 years old by next season.  He's made the Pro Bowl once in his career.  Once.  And that was in 2014.  In 12 seasons he's made the playoffs only 3 times, and only once since Calvin Johnson retired.  He's never won a playoff game.  In his last 3 seasons he hasn't eclipsed 4,100 passing yards.  He will cost us a draft pick and be expensive on our cap.  Acquiring him would be completely idiotic in my opinion.  

While I agree that his resume is not impressive, Stafford has never had a total good team around him.

If we add Stafford, a good #2 WR w/ the offensive weapons we already have and then with the D we already have I have a hard time not considering that team the best in the NFC East and possibly a Super Bowl contender.

It’s not like Stafford has been the reason the Lions have lost a lot of games since they drafted him. He’s one of the main reasons they were even relevant. If the Lions ever had a defense worth mentioning I think he and Megatron would’ve won playoff games, and even after Megatron too.

Patricia was a real disappointment bc he didn’t improve their defense which is why he was hired. If Patricia had made their defense a top 15 defense then they’re a playoff team and they may have won a few playoff games the last few years.

Want - Justin Fields (trade up for Fields if he falls to around 10), Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinicke 

Should - Dak Prescott, Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinicke 

Will - Alex Smith, Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinicke 

* Want & Should is predicted on Alex retiring, but I’m not sure he does.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

It is really nice to have you back posting my thoughts Knight!!! Your the man!!

2 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I want to know yalls scenarios at QB next year, would like realistic scenarios. If you make a trade I want to know The trade whether it’s draft trade or for a veteran, if you sign a veteran in FA I want to know the contract

Want- Wilson to fall to around 10 and us trade our 1st, 3rd, and future 3rd or 4th to move up for him. Alex Smith Retires

Allen/Wilson/Heinicke

Should- take Waddle or Smith at 19 if available and select Mond in the 3rd. Alex Smith Retires/Cut

Allen/Mond/Heinicke

Will- Mac Jones at 19(Trey Lance if he’s there which I doubt) Alex Smith stays one more year

Allen/Jones/Smith

what’s your scenarios!? 

Pretty sure it would take a lot more than that to move up to 10 for Wilson otherwise that’s my #1. 

don’t really want either other option (Jones at 19 or Mond in 3rd)

Want - Defensive pick 1st round. Alex starts. Mond out the 2nd-3rd to develop.

Should - Same as want. Hope this isnt it for Alex. Whats he like 12-4 his last 16 games for us?

Will - Mitch or Jacob comes in. Alex retires. Someone mobile like Ehlinger or Newman are picked in the later rounds

5 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Allen/Wilson/Heinicke

So awhile back someone (@MKnight82, was this you?) posted that none of the division champions(*) had drafted their QB after tanking. I thought "what about Buffalo??" but they actually drafted Allen the year after they made the playoffs (and one and done'd themselves out).

However, they kind of set themselves up first with a before the 2017 season trade of Sammy Watkins and a 6th for a 2nd and EJ Gaines with the Rams. Then, near the start of the 2018 free agency period, they traded their 1st (1.21 (21)) , 5th (5.21 (158)) and Cordy Glenn for Cincinnati's 1st (1.12 (12)) and 6th (6.13 (187)). THEN during the draft, they traded 1.12, their natural 2nd, and the Rams 2nd they got for Watkins for Tampa's 7th overall.

If you use either Jimmy Johnson's trade chart or Rich Hill's chart, the Buffalo-Cincinnati trade values Glenn as either a mid 2nd (Johnson) or late 2nd (Hill).

So, to move from 21 to 7, Buffalo had to expend the draft equivalent of a 1st, three 2nds, and a 5th (getting a 6th, 7th, and one year rental for Gaines back in return).

Yes, 19 to 10 would likely be cheaper, but I don't see it happening for a 1st, 3rd, and a future pick.

(*) It may have been playoff bound teams, but that no longer holds with Cleveland, but I digress

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

Want: Alex, Darnold, Hienike OR Allen. I know it’s not popular but I think Darnold is salvageable and cheaper than any vet. Let Alex start 21 and have Darnold take over when ready

Are you trading for Darnold or just picking him up off waivers/cuts? Because I wouldn't be in favor of the former but I could grudging accept the latter at a cheap price.

19 minutes ago, Woz said:

Are you trading for Darnold or just picking him up off waivers/cuts? Because I wouldn't be in favor of the former but I could grudging accept the latter at a cheap price.

Shooting from the hip here. Guessing the Jets asking price will be way too high and no one bites. They go ahead and draft a quarterback which obviously shows their hand, leaving Ron/Kyle/whoever to grab him for a  3rd and a 5th. Basically the Trent Williams deal in reverse. I doubt the Jets outright release him, but it would be really nice not to have to give anything up. 

Im not gaga over Darnold at all, but living in NY I’ve seen flashes. He’s still only 24, can move a bit, and at the least is a threat to get the ball downfield.