Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I get it from the Rams' perspective.  There wasn't any realistic way for them to improve their QB position, and I'm sure McVay didn't think he could win with Goff.

He won this year with Goff. If not for untimely injuries leading to a terrible defensive performance against your team, we may well have been playing for a Super Bowl this year. Say what you will about Goff. He didn't perform well enough this season. But his performance against the Packers was exactly what we asked him to do all year long. It was the defense that fell apart.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He won this year with Goff. If not for untimely injuries leading to a terrible defensive performance against your team, we may well have been playing for a Super Bowl this year. Say what you will about Goff. He didn't perform well enough this season. But his performance against the Packers was exactly what we asked him to do all year long. It was the defense that fell apart.

I thought Goff actually played reasonably well in that game.  I mean, Pettine's stupid game plan probably made him look better then he was, but I thought Donald's injury was a bigger issue.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Like I kept saying here: 4 FRP to start the conversation if it's to a bad team and 5 FRP plus if it's to a good team, especially in the AFC. You trade Watson to a good team and you'll getting the same value as early 2nd rounders with your FRPs. Trade him to Miami and that team goes 13-3 / 14-2.

Stop looking at it as Goff was a 0 value player.  He had negative value, and the only way the Rams don't eat a TON of dead cap is by trading.  They dealt Detroit a FRP to take Goff off their hands, and they sent a FRP and 3rd round pick to Detroit for Stafford.

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Stop looking at it as Goff was a 0 value player.  He had negative value, and the only way the Rams don't eat a TON of dead cap is by trading.  They dealt Detroit a FRP to take Goff off their hands, and they sent a FRP and 3rd round pick to Detroit for Stafford.

Were you following the  rumors about Stafford trade? The rumor was that Lions wouldn't get any FRPs. The best package offered was from the 9ers with Two 2nds and Two 3rds and you can't say that anything more than 3rd round pick was for absorbing ~10 more millions in cap hit for the next 2 years, because they can cut him after 2022.

Anyways, lets put a number on this discussion. If Watson is traded how many FRPs do you think Houston will net home? Including 1st round value in players like the package Dan Orlovsky envisioned giants could sent to Houston to get Watson. (3 FRP plus Barkley and Jones).

I say that's the key number to conclude a trade: 5 FRPs in value.

5 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Were you following the  rumors about Stafford trade? The rumor was that Lions wouldn't get any FRPs. The best package offered was from the 9ers with Two 2nds and Two 3rds and you can't say that anything more than 3rd round pick was for absorbing ~10 more millions in cap hit for the next 2 years, because they can cut him after 2022.

Anyways, lets put a number on this discussion. If Watson is traded how many FRPs do you think Houston will net home? Including 1st round value in players like the package Dan Orlovsky envisioned giants could sent to Houston to get Watson. (3 FRP plus Barkley and Jones).

Who thought Stafford wasn't going to get a FRP?  I had him as a FRP plus another mid-round pick (3rd or 4th round pick), which is precisely what he got if you think it took a FRP to unload Goff.

6 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

As I mentioned, I think it's 3 FRPs, plus another Day 2 pick (or a young QB like Darnold or Tua) and another pick either Round 2 in the far future or a 3rd in the near future.  That's the ballpark I'd put it at.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As I mentioned, I think it's 3 FRPs, plus another Day 2 pick (or a young QB like Darnold or Tua) and another pick either Round 2 in the far future or a 3rd in the near future.  That's the ballpark I'd put it at.

Well, that looks like the 4 FRPs in value that I said could get him traded to a bad team. But I bet more than two teams will make that offer then one team will go for 5 FRPs to conclude the negotiations.

18 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Whoever came up with those rumours clearly weren't trustworthy. 

There were a bunch of Niner "insiders" who said the Niners had the inside track, came up with offers of 2 2nd & 2 3rd round picks. Obv it was all garbage. 

These same fools were wrong with Kittle contract talks too. They no longer get the benefit of the doubt. 

Stick to the national guys or long-time & trusted local guys

Edited by 49ersfan

15 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Well, that looks like the 4 FRPs in value that I said could get him traded to a bad team. But I bet more than two teams will make that offer then one team will go for 5 FRPs to conclude the negotiations.

Except there's only 2 teams who can offer up top 3 picks.  I've said for a while, I think it's really a two-horse race between New York (Jets) and Miami.  The only way another team gets into that discussion is if they drastically overpay.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except there's only 2 teams who can offer up top 3 picks.  I've said for a while, I think it's really a two-horse race between New York (Jets) and Miami.  The only way another team gets into that discussion is if they drastically overpay.

Jets would get it done then. 4 FRPs in value if they're trading him to a bad team was what I said. We'll see. I'm saving this post. I bet 5 FRPs in value is what the Texans will get for Watson.

^^ I said rumors before the Stafford trade was announced. Hard to find any credible journalist saying any team offered one FRP for Stafford. Quite the contrary. Earlier today Garaffolo (sp?) denied that offer for Stafford and finished by saying they'd like to keep Jimmy G over Matt.

10 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

I said rumors before the Stafford trade was announced. Hard to find any credible journalist saying any team offered one FRP for Stafford. Quite the contrary. Earlier today Garaffolo (sp?) denied that offer for Stafford and finished by saying they'd like to keep Jimmy G over Matt.

49ers definitely didn't prefer Jimmy G to Stafford.

This is from the beat reporter who used to say he’d be head coach before Watson was traded.   So I think we all can figure out it’s just a matter of when, what team and how much.  

Hope he’s got a playbook ready for life after Watson. 

Edited by Broncofan

27 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

This is from the beat reporter who used to say he’d be head coach before Watson was traded.   So I think we all can figure out it’s just a matter of when, what team and how much.  

Hope he’s got a playbook ready for life after Watson. 

So for the Panthers, that would be..

2 1st round picks

2 2nd round picks

Brian Burns/Derrick Brown (no way we would give both of them up)

Shaq Thompson/Jeremy Chinn/Donte Jackson

Tempting.  It would really suck to lose Burns or Brown though.  I'd rather just give up a 3rd 1st round pick.  

So according to Rappaport's tweet (look above on this page), teams had offered slightly more than a 1st round pick for Stafford. So lets say that the 1st and 3rd were for Stafford. 

It looks like then the Rams had to include another 1st just to get Goff's contract off their books. 

Still think Watson's value will be 3-4 1st round picks. Maybe another solid player and/or QB replacement. For example, if the Jets or Dolphins get Watson, they no longer need Darnold or Tua and can easily throw them in the deal. They can at least be backup QB options for the Texans. 

3 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

So according to Rappaport's tweet (look above on this page), teams had offered slightly more than a 1st round pick for Stafford. So lets say that the 1st and 3rd were for Stafford. 

It looks like then the Rams had to include another 1st just to get Goff's contract off their books. 

Still think Watson's value will be 3-4 1st round picks. Maybe another solid player and/or QB replacement. For example, if the Jets or Dolphins get Watson, they no longer need Darnold or Tua and can easily throw them in the deal. They can at least be backup QB options for the Texans. 

Tua's going to have more appeal to HOU, and likely as a starter, for 2 reasons:

1.  More cheap years (3 to 1)

2.  Tua's strong background with his Christian faith.   I know, I know - should be irrelevant.  But this is Easterby & McNair, and it's VERY clear the HC hire was based partly on that.  So we should factor this in to teams' offers.   For example, DEN's Alexander Johnson - acquitted on a rape charge.   That spectre alone eliminates him from HOU IMO.

What @iknowcool proposed kinda fits.    NYJ & MIA hold the hammer in picks though - it's just a question of what else do they offer.   DEN would offer Lock & Chubb for sure.   Chubb's faith would be seen as an asset.   Obviously it's not enough IMO compared to CAR, NYJ & MIA.   But for as much as I think McClain has awful takes, he's plugged in - so we should consider what HOU is looking for, and figure out what teams are willing to offer BOTH in terms of premium picks and young players.

• Like 1