Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Three relevant points:

1. The 49ers seem locked in on Stafford and may not be willing to pay the price it takes for Watson.

2. It wouldn't be bad teams the Rams would target for Goff. It would be the average to good teams who seem a QB away but aren't in a good position to grab one in the Draft. Assuming Stafford goes to SF, Indy and Washington immediately come to mind.

3. The Rams definitely don't need to give Goff away. His contract for the team trading for him would be between $25 million and $28 million over the next four years, which is appropriate for a middle of the pack starting QB.

I doubt the Rams trade for Watson because the Dolphins seem the best positioned to do so. But it's possible. 

Assuming we’re out on every other decent QB available this year, I’d take Goff in Charlotte without question.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

They hold all the cards, and they're trying to drive up the price with quotes like this

I don’t think they actually want to trade him. Houston has the leverage despite people pretending otherwise. Watson ain’t ruining his career to sit out. Texans have time, they already would take cap hits the next two seasons if he was traded. They brought in a coach who players love and connect well with to hopefully smooth things over. I’d be surprised that if he did get traded it even happens this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Ah. I see your game. You cherry picking parts of posts out of context, while not responding to the things you’re actually challenged on. Got you.

FWIW, “definite destination worth going to” is what I stated. You pulled a news article and cut out my words for the spin. Your version means Watson is definitely going there, my version means Watson would definitely worth considering them as a legitimate option.

Lastly all that other stuff is meaningless. Players go to destinations for a multitude of reasons. Vision, potential, nightlife, etc. The Jets haven’t had a franchise QB in like 50 years, hard to win a SB when that’s the case. They’re a decade removed from back to back AFCCGs when they had a competent coach and organizational vision. They now seemingly have a competent coach in place and seemingly have a vision in place.

Considering the rumors that Watson is interested in the Jets, I think that moreso validates my perspective that it’s a definite destination to consider than your perspective that they’re essentially trash. They’ve already got a solid WR core foundation in place. They already have a LTotf option in place. They have enough trade ammo they can spread around to still build a playoff contender pretty immediately and still enough resources the following seasons to build something more. So all this to say, your logic is flawed. Premium player talent has already been attracted there based on vision. Bell and Mosley all went to the Jets because of the vision and that was under an incompetent coach/management.

But hey, what next will you cherry pick and how many more times will you evade the question. It’s comical at this point.😂 

You can think what you want and say I am cherry picking but I am pointing out the flaws on why jet fans believe it is an ideal landing spot when its not. I have no news article or care what the news articles say because those people know just as much as you and I do which is absolutely nothing. You say organizational vision, nightlife potential, yet you over look the fact that the only thing meaningful for Mosley and Bell was the dollar signs that was put in front of them and went with the highest contract like almost every free agent does. Baltimore made it clear they wanted Mosley back but couldnt afford to pay what the jets offered, and jets were the only team to offer Bell a deal that was what he was seeking. So FA is all about money. Wr foundation, really? You have Crowder a slot guy, and Mims a 2nd year who you didnt get to see much of, not really selling a foundation. Watson had guys like Brandon Cooks who was a legit #1 wr on the Saints, Pats, and Rams before going to the Texans. He then had Speedster in Will Fuller, and Kenny Stills not to mention guys like Coutee and Cobb, that to me is a WR foundation not rookie mims, crowder and perriman (who was the 4th wr on tampa a year prior playing as your #1 this year). Yes Becton may be the LT of your Franchise if he stays healthy, but outside of that the oline is nonexistent. Texans have a LT in tunsil and a nonexistent oline and Watson took 49 sacks which is 3rd in the league, Darnold was 8th and that was with him not playing for a few games So realistically you offer him Crowder and Becton at the moment. No run game, no TE, a couple of pieces on defense in williams and mosley.  Your top safety is a FA and the other DBs are mediocre at best. 

Definite Destination is a team that is stable with owner, Gm, and HC, that could protect their qb, who have a run game, and who have the weapons at his disposal. Then a complementing defense to go with it. That definite destination is the niners, they gave up only 20 sacks, have the weapons on offense, the run game, and the balanced defense. Unfortunately for the Niners thats not how it works as the Texans need to be heavily compensated which they do not have at the moment. It comes down to if Watson wants out so bad that he is willing to waive his no trade clause and the texans go with the most value a team can give up and thats why the media is constantly throwing out the Jets and Dolphins as ideal spots because they can overpay for his services not because he wants to go there. You can throw out sources and pick and chose what is posted on social media whether it is a vague tweet or a post of some family member wearing a jersey etc, in hopes of thinking the Jets have a real shot at him but at the end of the day the team doesnt offer him much that the texans do not offer him now, it is dysfunction by Cal and Easterby for newer dysfunction in the Johnson Bros. 

13 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

Assuming we’re out on every other decent QB available this year, I’d take Goff in Charlotte without question.  

And that's the reality that somebody will face. They'll have a team that has playoff potential but lacks a QB. There is going to be a game of QB musical chairs this offseason. The reality is that between 3 and 7 teams will be left with a player they don't particularly like at the position. If you're one of those teams, acquiring Goff, paying him Jimmy G. money, and having a shot at the playoffs is a better outcome than the alternative.

People like to treat Goff as if he's trash, but the simple truth is that he has led the Rams to four straight winning seasons, has gone to two Pro Bowls, led them to top 10 offenses in three of the past four years (top 5 offenses in two of the past four years), and won't be in the window until next season where pocket passers usually hit their prime. Frankly, I want to keep him. But if Watson becomes an option, it's hard to say no to a proven player of his caliber.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And that's the reality that somebody will face. They'll have a team that has playoff potential but lacks a QB. There is going to be a game of QB musical chairs this offseason. The reality is that between 3 and 7 teams will be left with a player they don't particularly like at the position. If you're one of those teams, acquiring Goff, paying him Jimmy G. money, and having a shot at the playoffs is a better outcome than the alternative.

People like to treat Goff as if he's trash, but the simple truth is that he has led the Rams to four straight winning seasons, has gone to two Pro Bowls, led them to top 10 offenses in three of the past four years (top 5 offenses in two of the past four years), and won't be in the window until next season where pocket passers usually hit their prime. Frankly, I want to keep him. But if Watson becomes an option, it's hard to say no to a proven player of his caliber.

Watson is less proven than Goff. He's not talented like the tier 1 guys.

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Debatable if it was the best rookie season ever. I have it as 4th in this new pass happy league. 

Dak - 105 rating, 78 QBR, 7.9 ANY/A, 68% cmp 13-3 record w/benching starters

Wilson - 100 rating, 73 QBR, 6.8 ANY/A, 64% cmp, 11-5 record

RG3 - 102 rating, 70 QBR, 7 ANY/A, 66% cmp, 9-6 record

Herbert - 98 rating, 70 QBR, 6.8 ANY/A, 67% cmp, 6-9 record

And to keep the thread on point:

Watson - 103 rating, 84 QBR, 7.2 ANY/A, 62% cmp, 3-3 record

EDIT: See below. If Dak had the 140 extra attempts, he would have smashed all of Herberts bulk numbers along with already crushing him in everything efficiency. There is a reason Dak got league MVP votes as a rookie and Herbert wont. 

Unfortunately I dont have a subscription to show all 4 of their stats.

Doesn't work that way, Matts. If he was forced to do way more to win instead of picking his spots his efficiency would drop exponentially. He found himself on a vey good team on a weak schedule and was smart/good enough to not screw it up but you can't extrapolate from there.

Btw, the thing about Herbert is that the schedule was brutal and he had no off season, no OTAs etc. To make things worse his first start was on 1 hour notice against the SB champs and he did enough to win that game. In fact, he put a 17 point lead against TB as well. He should be 2-0 against the teams playing in the SB in 2021.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Doesn't work that way, Matts. If he was forced to do way more to win instead of picking his spots his efficiency would drop exponentially. He found himself on a vey good team on a weak schedule and was smart/good enough to not screw it up but you can't extrapolate from there.

Its not "way more". Its like 37 total yards per game on 9 targets - a very measly 4 YPA. With Daks efficiency numbers, it would have been more like ~3-4 targets a game. 

But I would also remind everyone that in 2015 the Cowboys won 4 games. in 2016 we won 13 games. We upgraded at 2 positions, QB and RB. Dak was the primary reason of a +9 change in the win column (along with Zeke and health).

16 minutes ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Btw, the thing about Herbert is that the schedule was brutal and he had no off season, no OTAs etc. To make things worse his first start was on 1 hour notice against the SB champs and he did enough to win that game. In fact, he put a 17 point lead against TB as well. He should be 2-0 against the teams playing in the SB in 2021.

Herbert had an amazing season. One of the best ever.  No one is disputing that at all.

It just simply wasnt THE best. I have it at #4 in the modern era of passing, personally. 

Herbert had a much better rookie season than Dak. 

Why do people correlate efficient with better? Lenox lewis was more efficient than Mike Tyson. Evan Tanner was more efficient than GSP. Chris Paul is more efficient than Kobe. Dak had the more efficient rookie year behind a run game and elite oline, asked to do less as a game manager.

Herbert's efficiency was slightly lower because he had to do ALOT more, with bottom 3 run game in ypc and the worst oline. 

Herbert has the most prolific rookie season ever, by a good margin and will be the gold standard for rookie seasons.

1 minute ago, Bearerofnews said:

Herbert had a much better rookie season than Dak. 

Why do people correlate efficient with better? Lenox lewis was more efficient than Mike Tyson. Evan Tanner was more efficient than GSP. Chris Paul is more efficient than Kobe. Dak had the more efficient rookie year behind a run game and elite oline, asked to do less as a game manager.

Herbert's efficiency was slightly lower because he had to do ALOT more, with bottom 3 run game in ypc and the worst oline. 

Herbert has the most prolific rookie season ever, by a good margin and will be the gold standard for rookie seasons.

And let this be the final dagger that I am correct. Bearerofnews is wrong when it comes to everything with QBs. And he is wrong here as well. 🤣

PS: Its statistically proven over 10, 20, 30 year time frames that efficient QBs win a whole hell of a lot more than bulk QBs. So Herbert is only the "gold standard" if you like losing (tongue in cheek).

So which is it:

• Do you like for your team to lose? Or
  • Do you dispute every professional analyst known to man, backed by thousands of a games worth of data that is all 100% verifiable? 
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Debatable if it was the best rookie season ever. I have it as 4th in this new pass happy league. 

Dak - 105 rating, 78 QBR, 7.9 ANY/A, 68% cmp 13-3 record w/benching starters

Wilson - 100 rating, 73 QBR, 6.8 ANY/A, 64% cmp, 11-5 record

RG3 - 102 rating, 70 QBR, 7 ANY/A, 66% cmp, 9-6 record

Herbert - 98 rating, 70 QBR, 6.8 ANY/A, 67% cmp, 6-9 record

And to keep the thread on point:

Watson - 103 rating, 84 QBR, 7.2 ANY/A, 62% cmp, 3-3 record

EDIT: See below. If Dak had the 140 extra attempts, he would have smashed all of Herberts bulk numbers along with already crushing him in everything efficiency. There is a reason Dak got league MVP votes as a rookie and Herbert wont. 

Unfortunately I dont have a subscription to show all 4 of their stats.

Matts is right.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I think this is debatable as you have a guy like Burrow who had inferior weapons then Herbert and was injured. He was having  just as good of a season as Herbert. I am not saying one is better then the other but I am not mad at them being where they are on the list as it can be argued. To me this is something I look forward to seeing from the 2 of them, as I think both teams came away with a franchise caliber QB. If tua was rated hire then I would be laughing at this list with you. 

Herbert and Burrow were not close prior to Burrow getting injured.