Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So not only are the Texans taking back Goff and his contract, but they're also not getting a FRP this year?  I don't see how Caserio even entertains the idea.

Right. You basically need the Texans to like Goff enough to value him as at least a 1st round pick if not multiple and see him as their future. You also probably have to include Aaron Donald even if you get that first and hardest part of the deal done. And you'd need that to be the only option available to you other than keeping a disgruntled, possible no-show Watson. It's a very very narrow path. Hence why it's not a likely option. 

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats tampering and not allowed. It would only work if the Texans allowed it.

It would likely have to be a Goff + Donald + Picks before it would even registers a chance.

Given Watson's no-trade clause, there's definitely going to be some under the table recruiting and tampering going on with this. If I'm not mistaken you also can't really restrict communications between players in the league, only team officials. So in this scenario you basically need Jalen Ramsey to be in Watson's ear talking him into wanting LA or bust. There's probably a guy on each team in the running right now trying to do the same tbh. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

Ramsey talking to Watson is like KD talking to Harden to come to Brooklyn. Ramsey can sell to Watson that the Rams have the best defense with a top tier coach in general. A top tier offensive mind with weapons all around and the one missing piece is obviously the QB. If Rams get Watson they are easily co favorite with the Chiefs for the Superbowl if not favorites. Plus the Superbowl will be in Sofi next season so incentives all around. That’s what Ramsey can sell to Watson. No other team outside of San Fran can sell instant Superbowl who could legit go after him. I mean if the Saints go after him they could but I don’t think they will.

Before anyone say it will be impossible for the Rams to go after Watson, stop me when we all heard that before? Everytime we think no way the Rams can sign this player or trade for this player they end up doing so. Point is if the Rams want Watson and assuming Watson want LA then it will happen. If it does I think Ramsey will play a key role talking to Watson. Call it tampering but that’s the world we live in. The NFL is finally catching up to the NBA where players recruit other players to join them ala KD to Harden and LeBron to Davis just to name a few. 

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

I think we are all forgetting something about the Watson to NYJ or Watson to Jax talks, Watson controls where he goes. If I'm him, my short list is Indy, NO, NE, and Miami. 

MC

The Jets were on his reported list. Which is part of the reason as to why they’re being discussed.

The first team we got wind of was the Dolphins and then the Jets.

Whats more the Saints are like a $100m over the cap, even with Brees gone. Plus there’s no way they could piece together enough assets to be competitive with the AFCE teams.

I won’t ever rule out NE, but considering their assets as well, I don’t see how they could beat a package of their AFCE counterparts. But considering Easterby and some of those guys came from NE, they might be willing to sacrifice assets to appease their Darth Lord in Belichick. Watson has a no trade clause though, so he’d also have to WANT to go to NE, which considering his time with the Texans and the Belichick disciples, might not be the case. But who knows.

7 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Ramsey talking to Watson is like KD talking to Harden to come to Brooklyn. Ramsey can sell to Watson that the Rams have the best defense with a top tier coach in general. A top tier offensive mind with weapons all around and the one missing piece is obviously the QB. If Rams get Watson they are easily co favorite with the Chiefs for the Superbowl if not favorites. Plus the Superbowl will be in Sofi next season so incentives all around. That’s what Ramsey can sell to Watson. No other team outside of San Fran can sell instant Superbowl who could legit go after him. I mean if the Saints go after him they could but I don’t think they will.

Pats could and he has close ties to the VP & GM of the Texans. Its not like the Pats do anything with their first rounders anyways...

7 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Before anyone say it will be impossible for the Rams to go after Watson, stop me when we all heard that before? Everytime we think no way the Rams can sign this player or trade for this player they end up doing so. Point is if the Rams want Watson and assuming Watson want LA then it will happen. If it does I think Ramsey will play a key role talking to Watson. Call it tampering but that’s the world we live in. The NFL is finally catching up to the NBA where players recruit other players to join them ala KD to Harden and LeBron to Davis just to name a few. 

Proof? I dont know a single instance of this happening. The closest I know from the Cowboys POV is:

1. Earl Thomas asking Garrett to trade for him.

2. OBJ stating he wanted to play with Dak when the trade rumors started.

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Just how would you suggest the Rams “find a way” to make it happen. First they would have to find a team that would take on Goff’s contract that has the cap space. Most of the bad teams that would normally do so are in position to get their own franchise QB and/or better positioned to nab Watson of their own accord.

The Rams would have to giveaway Goff because what team would take Goff and still make some extensions to clear up like $30m.

That and anything the Rams can do, the 49ers can also offer. They had a premier defense just two seasons ago when healthy. Both teams lost their DC’s. The 49ers have the better assets and have similar level offensive weapons overall. Personally I like the 49ers weapons a little more, but I’m not willing to die on any hill over it either.

23 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Just how would you suggest the Rams “find a way” to make it happen. First they would have to find a team that would take on Goff’s contract that has the cap space. Most of the bad teams that would normally do so are in position to get their own franchise QB and/or better positioned to nab Watson of their own accord.

The Rams would have to giveaway Goff because what team would take Goff and still make some extensions to clear up like $30m.

That and anything the Rams can do, the 49ers can also offer. They had a premier defense just two seasons ago when healthy. Both teams lost their DC’s. The 49ers have the better assets and have similar level offensive weapons overall. Personally I like the 49ers weapons a little more, but I’m not willing to die on any hill over it either.

Three relevant points:

1. The 49ers seem locked in on Stafford and may not be willing to pay the price it takes for Watson.

2. It wouldn't be bad teams the Rams would target for Goff. It would be the average to good teams who seem a QB away but aren't in a good position to grab one in the Draft. Assuming Stafford goes to SF, Indy and Washington immediately come to mind.

3. The Rams definitely don't need to give Goff away. His contract for the team trading for him would be between $25 million and $28 million over the next four years, which is appropriate for a middle of the pack starting QB.

I doubt the Rams trade for Watson because the Dolphins seem the best positioned to do so. But it's possible. 

42 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Pats could and he has close ties to the VP & GM of the Texans. Its not like the Pats do anything with their first rounders anyways...

Proof? I dont know a single instance of this happening. The closest I know from the Cowboys POV is:

1. Earl Thomas asking Garrett to trade for him.

2. OBJ stating he wanted to play with Dak when the trade rumors started.

What I mean is the player empowerment. Yes this is a sign with Watson saying he wants out as the NFL finally doing what the NBA is doing. Now will there be more to come? We shall see. Dont think for a second Watson isnt seeing what is happening all the time in the NBA. Same with alot of the NFL players. So I think moving forward we will see players in particular QBs if they feel like they are stuck will just want out. Let the player recruiting begin to. Not just Ramsey to Watson but moving forward with what ever player. But we shall see. I just love to see this because QBs are the most stuck position in football. No team want to move off a young talented player but if the team stinks that young talented player is wasting away. So again I love seeing what Im seeing from Watson just saying he wants out because he is tired of being stuck in Houston. 

12 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

What I mean is the player empowerment. Yes this is a sign with Watson saying he wants out as the NFL finally doing what the NBA is doing. Now will there be more to come? We shall see. Dont think for a second Watson isnt seeing what is happening all the time in the NBA. Same with alot of the NFL players. So I think moving forward we will see players in particular QBs if they feel like they are stuck will just want out. Let the player recruiting begin to. Not just Ramsey to Watson but moving forward with what ever player. But we shall see. I just love to see this because QBs are the most stuck position in football. No team want to move off a young talented player but if the team stinks that young talented player is wasting away. So again I love seeing what Im seeing from Watson just saying he wants out because he is tired of being stuck in Houston. 

I hardly think one disgruntled player asking for a trade is showing player empowerment. Nor is it anything new or a trend. 

Agree to disagree for now. 

46 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I cant tell you how the Rams will do it but I know if they want to they can. Like we know the Rams have signed and/or traded for players so much that people legit jokingly say the Rams must have their own cap. It does take cap experts and from what I know the Rams have great management with Demoff and Snead when it comes to managing the cap and also with working the draft capital. So again I cant tell you personally how they will pull it off but if they truly want to go after Watson they will and if they do someone how get Watson, which I dont think they will, it wouldnt stun me because nothing stun me with the Rams when it comes to trades. Did anyone see the Rams trading for Cooks or Ramsey? Nope. People said when the Rams drafted Jefferson they was essentially drafting for Woods replacement but yet they can Woods a contract extension. So again nothing stun me about the Rams when it comes to what they want to do.

I agree that the Niners and other teams can do more than the Rams but the thing is, if Watson is convinced by Ramsey to come to LA and look we know the Rams dont do their business publicly. It wasnt public when the Rams traded from 15 to 1 for Goff. It wasnt public when the Rams traded for Watkins. It wasnt public when the Rams traded for Cooks. It wasnt public when the Rams traded for Ramsey. So dont expect to hear the Rams linked to Watson until literally right before it happens or when it happens IF it indeed happens. So I expect to hear the Jets, Miami, the Niners, and other teams. I dont expect to hear the Rams because thats not how they operate. But back to my point, if Ramsey convinced Watson to come to LA then let the Rams and Houston figure things out if indeed thats the case. Ill just say this, if the Rams do move on from Goff it better be for Watson or ARod. I think there will be a market for Goff too. The Texans could see Goff as exactly what he is. A young 1st overall pick who has the second most wins in the NFL since 2017 at the QB position. He went to the Superbowl a few years ago, has 2 division titles, and won 3 playoff games. They possibly feel they can win with him which I cant disagree. People act like you cant win with Goff. The Texans can feel like with Goff they can still be in position to compete in the AFC South. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

I hardly think one disgruntled player asking for a trade is showing player empowerment. Nor is it anything new or a trend. 

Agree to disagree for now. 

It has to start somewhere. LeBron started it in the NBA when he moved on to Miami because he felt like he couldnt win the Cleveland. Then after he did it then it was KD, Kyrie, Westbrook, Kwahi, and Harden. So many more will do the same too. So again it has to start somewhere. I could be wrong though and it could be just a one off with Watson but again Ill just say you think the NFL players arent seeing what the NBA players are doing?

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I cant tell you how the Rams will do it but I know if they want to they can. Like we know the Rams have signed and/or traded for players so much that people legit jokingly say the Rams must have their own cap. It does take cap experts and from what I know the Rams have great management with Demoff and Snead when it comes to managing the cap and also with working the draft capital. So again I cant tell you personally how they will pull it off but if they truly want to go after Watson they will and if they do someone how get Watson, which I dont think they will, it wouldnt stun me because nothing stun me with the Rams when it comes to trades. Did anyone see the Rams trading for Cooks or Ramsey? Nope. People said when the Rams drafted Jefferson they was essentially drafting for Woods replacement but yet they can Woods a contract extension. So again nothing stun me about the Rams when it comes to what they want to do.

I agree that the Niners and other teams can do more than the Rams but the thing is, if Watson is convinced by Ramsey to come to LA and look we know the Rams dont do their business publicly. It wasnt public when the Rams traded from 15 to 1 for Goff. It wasnt public when the Rams traded for Watkins. It wasnt public when the Rams traded for Cooks. It wasnt public when the Rams traded for Ramsey. So dont expect to hear the Rams linked to Watson until literally right before it happens or when it happens IF it indeed happens. So I expect to hear the Jets, Miami, the Niners, and other teams. I dont expect to hear the Rams because thats not how they operate. But back to my point, if Ramsey convinced Watson to come to LA then let the Rams and Houston figure things out if indeed thats the case. Ill just say this, if the Rams do move on from Goff it better be for Watson or ARod. I think there will be a market for Goff too. The Texans could see Goff as exactly what he is. A young 1st overall pick who has the second most wins in the NFL since 2017 at the QB position. He went to the Superbowl a few years ago, has 2 division titles, and won 3 playoff games. They possibly feel they can win with him which I cant disagree. People act like you cant win with Goff. The Texans can feel like with Goff they can still be in position to compete in the AFC South. 

Manipulating the cap isnt really that hard. Is it possible to screw yourself? Yes:

• Start drafting terribly 
  • Sign people who suck to large deals
  • Suffer injuries that make a contract terrible

But in general, moving around money is easy. Eventually most teams will take a year to reset their books and get rid of dead weight, like the Pats last year and likely the Saints/Eagles this year.

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

It has to start somewhere. LeBron started it in the NBA when he moved on to Miami because he felt like he couldnt win the Cleveland. Then after he did it then it was KD, Kyrie, Westbrook, Kwahi, and Harden. So many more will do the same too. So again it has to start somewhere. I could be wrong though and it could be just a one off with Watson but again Ill just say you think the NFL players arent seeing what the NBA players are doing?

I dont think Watson is reflective of anything new. Players have gone to superteams since free agency became a thing. Charles Haley and Deion Sanders leaving the 9ers for the Cowboys is an example. 

But the contract structure and ability for one guy to change a franchise is different from the NBA to the NFL. Its not comparable.