Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

On 3/4/2021 at 1:08 PM, ET80 said:

Would anyone here do Deshaun Watson for Russell Wilson? Straight up, no extra compensation for either...

That's insanity.

Russell Wilson is a very good QB, and he is 7 years older than Deshaun. So much more wear on the treads, and IMO DW4 is more talented to begin with. Only a Seattle fan would make that trade.

I guess they could make the deal work with day 2 picks (2nds and 3rds), but several should be involved in that case. Just my opinion.

This would be Caserio's 1st notable move if it happens. He better set the tone that we have an adult in the FO now, or we'll be right back to being a value piggy bank for the rest of the NFL to rob.

Of course, I suppose Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber could overrule him. If that happens and I'm Caserio, I'd resign on the spot.

Edited by Texans02
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, jch1911 said:

as a point of reference

Dan Patrick reports the Bears offered three first round draft picks, a third-round pick, and two unnamed starters to the Seahawks for Russell Wilson. 

17 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’d take that for Watson depending on who the starters are 

The Bears are rumored to be looking to deal WR Anthony Miller entering his final year, and CB Kyle Fuller and his 14M 5th year option.   Both were starters (Miller starting slot WR).

If those are the starters, and Chicago's pick is at 1.20, that's a pretty massive undersell for Wilson, let alone Watson.   

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The Bears are rumored to be looking to deal WR Anthony Miller entering his final year, and CB Kyle Fuller and his 14M 5th year option.   Both were starters (Miller starting slot WR).

If those are the starters, and Chicago's pick is at 1.20, that's a pretty massive undersell for Wilson, let alone Watson.   

Take it for what’s it’s worth, but i just saw a report on NBC saying that the two players the Bears offered were Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

Take it for what’s it’s worth, but i just saw a report on NBC saying that the two players the Bears offered were Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks

As talented as Mack is, that contract cap hit the next three years is a non-starter ($30 million in 2022, $28 million in 2023, $26 million in 2024). Akiem would also be a 1 year rental where as the Texans are trying to rebuild, that wouldn't really be beneficial. 

2 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Better because Mack was in it - but Hicks has 1 year left.    The problem is Mack is 31, and Hicks 32.   If you're trading Wilson away, you're not doing it to get better this year - you're looking to re-tool long-term, and go with a young core.   As a contrast, HOU's goals are for young, cheap players & picks.   As much as we like to bag on the FO for their abysmal record of moves so far, that's clearly the right principle if you're going to move a franchise QB - there's no other direction that makes sense.   It's why Seattle trading Wilson after 2021 makes way more sense than now - because they don't have their 2022 1st-round pick, and arguably their 5 of their key core guys are UFA's after this year (Lockett, Reed, Adams, Duane Brown & Diggs). 

3 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

As talented as Mack is, that contract cap hit the next three years is a non-starter ($30 million in 2022, $28 million in 2023, $26 million in 2024). Akiem would also be a 1 year rental where as the Texans are trying to rebuild, that wouldn't really be beneficial. 

20M of that $ you cite for Mack stays with CHI (the signing/restructure bonuses).  But it's still 3/64M.   So it's not a huge gain in value.  The bigger issue is the long-term gain and decline Mack's likely to encounter.   Young, cheap and good is what matters to a team trading away a guy like Wilson.

35 minutes ago, viking said:

You guys shoulda traded Watson while you had the chance 

These came out before FA and even despite the allegations, I’ve heard teams are still interested in trading

I frankly don’t care lol, let it all burn 🔥 

• Like 3

FWIW, without getting into specifics, unless the allegations get worse, I think Watson will weather this.   In this era, hard to know if he'll get a league penalty, but I think the fact that teams are still actively monitoring and are interested, means as long as it's not something longer than Ezekiel Elliott, the Texans & Watson will still part ways, and at 90+ percent of his pre-lawsuit value.   

The big issue is that for sure this doesn't take place until after the draft - so it's going to be a lot more uncertainty, and lost future value in picks, as whoever acquires him is likely picking in the late teen's / 20's.   A team that accumulates more than 1 2022 1st is probably going to be really attractive, because it's increasing the odds of a better pick (especially if it's a team like CHI moving up to get a Mac Jones - helps them later on, not as much now).  I

It's also probably going to make the young player package just as important (SF - Bosa  DEN - Chubb, ?Sutton, etc.).   Obviously Bosa is the Holy Grail there, the issue of course is if that's a bridge too far for SF.    The final part to this complicated equation is that by waiting until after the draft, the pool of buyers will be decreased.   

Either way, I suspect this will get resolved in 2021 - the question is simply when.   The fact multiple teams are still very interested speaks volumes here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW, without getting into specifics, unless the allegations get worse, I think Watson will weather this.   In this era, hard to know if he'll get a league penalty, but I think the fact that teams are still actively monitoring and are interested, means as long as it's not something longer than Ezekiel Elliott, the Texans & Watson will still part ways, and at 90+ percent of his pre-lawsuit value.   

The big issue is that for sure this doesn't take place until after the draft - so it's going to be a lot more uncertainty, and lost future value in picks, as whoever acquires him is likely picking in the late teen's / 20's.   A team that accumulates more than 1 2022 1st is probably going to be really attractive, because it's increasing the odds of a better pick (especially if it's a team like CHI moving up to get a Mac Jones - helps them later on, not as much now).  I

It's also probably going to make the young player package just as important (SF - Bosa  DEN - Chubb, ?Sutton, etc.).   Obviously Bosa is the Holy Grail there, the issue of course is if that's a bridge too far for SF.    The final part to this complicated equation is that by waiting until after the draft, the pool of buyers will be decreased.   

Either way, I suspect this will get resolved in 2021 - the question is simply when.   The fact multiple teams are still very interested speaks volumes here.

I don’t think we trade him. I think we make him sit out the season and go bankrupt 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t think we trade him. I think we make him sit out the season and go bankrupt 

I'm actually thinking this is the plan. Starve him out, in essence.

It's cutting off a nose to spite a face, but it's what we're going to be seeing - Texans FO isn't exactly altruistic in nature.