Future QB Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

So you know that means we will draft Trask right?

Yeah. With Mills and Mond still on the board...

44 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

I am hoping Pace gets teddy bridgewater so we can three washed up QBs on the roster. 

That would kind of sum up the Pace regime perfectly.

2 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Does it feel like Justine Fields is about to have a draft day slide. If he does slide out of the top 10. Does George let pace make a trade?  

there's a reason he's rumored to be sliding.....

He's the Trubisky 2021 model.

They souped up the engine a bit, gave it a more athletic profile, with a bigger cannon........... but it's the same busted processor running the show.

I'd take him AT 20, in the hopes he can be coached up.... but moving up for him would be a very sketchy decision, imo. He does actually have some of the best highlights and most special throws of the class, however.... almost on par with Zach Wilson.

Curiously, though I was absolutely underwhelmed watching his tape, some davis mills stats (that might have been brought to my attention here or not, can't remember) got my curiosity a bit piqued...

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-quarterback-rankings

"A lot of what you’re buying into with Mills is what he could become. We’ve seen the former five-star quarterback make only 10 starts his entire college career. Already, though, he's flashed some necessary skills. He’s very accurate and efficient within the structure of an offense. In fact, if you take away screens and RPOs, Mills had the second-highest accuracy rate in 2020 of any quarterback on this list."

and

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-superlatives-quarterbacks-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-trey-lance-mac-jones

Mills gets the ball out of his hands at the kind of pace NFL evaluators are sure to love. In fact, his 2.39-second average time to throw in 2020 on plays that weren’t screens, RPOs or play action was the fastest in the draft class. That’s a tenth of a second faster than the next closest quarterback (Trevor Lawrence, 2.49 seconds) and over two-tenths quicker than Mac Jones.

(I think someone posted that second link yesterday)

Edited by Epyon

18 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Some football folks think both Mills and Mond are potential starters. I've yet to see that be said about Trask. 

Kyle Trask = Shane Matthews.

Could have an equally long NFL career but will never be an impact starter so why draft a rookie whose upside is as a career backup when we already have a very experienced vet backup in Foles and a 32 year old starter whose gonna have to prove he's still a quality starter and not about to enter the #2 QB portion of his career.

According to scouting reports and game reviews Mond has Mitch's kind of upside with many of the same kind of issues.  Can't read defenses and react quickly.  Makes bad decision and forces throws into coverage.  Good athleticism that will go unused in Nagy's schemes.  Forget his arm and his running ability.  IMHO he's not a fit.

Mills may be a "poor mans" Mac Jones but at least he fits the present scheme and has played in a pro style passing offense.  We should ask ourselves what Mills college career might have been like if he'd played at 'Bama with the tools Jones had and Jones had played at Stanford?  Would Mills out rank Jones?

Just sayin' is all.

7 hours ago, soulman said:

Mills may be a "poor mans" Mac Jones but at least he fits the present scheme and has played in a pro style passing offense.  We should ask ourselves what Mills college career might have been like if he'd played at 'Bama with the tools Jones had and Jones had played at Stanford?  Would Mills out rank Jones?

Some scouts have called him Mac Jones with a better arm... I like him at #52.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, G08 said:

Some scouts have called him Mac Jones with a better arm... I like him at #52.

If Pace is gonna draft anyone that early Mills seems to be the best "fit" which is 100% of what he and Nagy should be focused on in a QB.

In fact if it looks like he might go earlier in round two I wouldn't mind if they traded up to get him or traded back in round one for an extra 2nd round pick.

Even if Pace can eventually acquire Wilson we'll still need #2 on his rookie deal.  We need a kid with at least some potential to develop into a starter.  He can't keep putting this off forever.

20 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Does it feel like Justine Fields is about to have a draft day slide. If he does slide out of the top 10. Does George let pace make a trade?  

I think Lance is more likely to slide. Whether Spurious George would okay a trade up for either is...well, it remains to be seen. There are tons of rumors about that suggest that option has been taken out of Pace's hands. Let's hope that isn't the case. 

18 hours ago, Epyon said:

there's a reason he's rumored to be sliding.....

He's the Trubisky 2021 model.

They souped up the engine a bit, gave it a more athletic profile, with a bigger cannon........... but it's the same busted processor running the show.

are-you-serious-gif.gif

15 hours ago, soulman said:

Kyle Trask = Shane Matthews.

A Matthews comp? C'mon. Trask may never be a starter, but his resume is MUCH better than Matthews' , coming out. 

13 minutes ago, soulman said:

If Pace is gonna draft anyone that early Mills seems to be the best "fit" which is 100% of what he and Nagy should be focused on in a QB.

Yeah...will they be "focused", though? It's really maddening. 

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

A Matthews comp? C'mon. Trask may never be a starter, but his resume is MUCH better than Matthews' , coming out. 

And what earthly difference does that make?  Rex Grossman and Cade McNown were super college QBs.  How'd they work out for us? 

IMHO both lack Trask and Matthews lack(ed)pro arms so why should we draft a QB whose very likely to be no better than a #2.  Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, soulman said:

And what earthly difference does that make?  Rex Grossman and Cade McNown were super college QBs.  How'd they work out for us? 

I'll just address Cade McClown here. The guy was a lunatic. There is no way anybody should have drafted him in the first round. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'll just address Cade McClown here. The guy was a lunatic. There is no way anybody should have drafted him in the first round. 

I'll just stick with my main point which is why draft a rookie whose likely upside is as a career #2 when we may need an eventual starter.  If that's the very best we can do I'd pass on drafting a QB altogether and fill other spots.

I haven't seen many scouting reports or opinions that believe Trask as a great prospect other than a guy you might draft for depth.  If we weren't already bound by his deal to keep Foles then maybe it might make sense but otherwise, no.  JMHO

15 hours ago, soulman said:

I'll just stick with my main point which is why draft a rookie whose likely upside is as a career #2 when we may need an eventual starter.  If that's the very best we can do I'd pass on drafting a QB altogether and fill other spots.

I haven't seen many scouting reports or opinions that believe Trask as a great prospect other than a guy you might draft for depth.  If we weren't already bound by his deal to keep Foles then maybe it might make sense but otherwise, no.  JMHO

McClown had a helluva lotta great traits. Not the strongest arm, but seemed to take care of the ball and make good decisions. Pretty accurate. There was a funny story about how a reporter was interviewing a scout that didn't care for McClown as a prospect at all, and while the scout was badmouthing McClown at length, McClown was leading an improbable comeback for a Senior Bowl victory. McClown had skills, he even had a bunch of supporters among the football community.

But he was crazy. The Bears should have been able to pick up on that. But didn't. 

Trask has potential, and isn't a loon. The Bears should definitely not target him as their first option in the draft, though. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 4:27 PM, Heinz D. said:

McClown had a helluva lotta great traits. Not the strongest arm, but seemed to take care of the ball and make good decisions. Pretty accurate. There was a funny story about how a reporter was interviewing a scout that didn't care for McClown as a prospect at all, and while the scout was badmouthing McClown at length, McClown was leading an improbable comeback for a Senior Bowl victory. McClown had skills, he even had a bunch of supporters among the football community.

But he was crazy. The Bears should have been able to pick up on that. But didn't. 

Trask has potential, and isn't a loon. The Bears should definitely not target him as their first option in the draft, though. 

And I still say as a pro Trask will be Shane Matthews v2.0.  If we're drafting for a career #2 sure, why not toss his name in the hopper too.  But I don't believe that's our goal not should it be.  We've drafted waaaaay too many of his type over time already.  Just say no.