Future QB Discussion

G08

20 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

pocket passer vs. dual threat?

That must be it because both were part of the '17 recruitment class

I'd be fine with either

The only thing that gives me pause with Mills is lack of college game experience (only 13 games)

Mond has a larger body of work to go on and plus athleticism. He's also more twitchy than Mills is.

I'd be happy with either in the 2nd/3rd

• Like 1

10 hours ago, topwop1 said:

That must be it because both were part of the '17 recruitment class

I'd be fine with either

The only thing that gives me pause with Mills is lack of college game experience (only 13 games)

Mond has a larger body of work to go on and plus athleticism. He's also more twitchy than Mills is.

I'd be happy with either in the 2nd/3rd

I think Mond is the better prospect, but I’ve also seen more of him and never been overly impressed. That said, TAMU hasn’t really had anything for passing game targets in the past few years either. They haven’t had a WR drafted in the last 2 years and aren’t likely to have one this year either. 

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think Mond is the better prospect, but I’ve also seen more of him and never been overly impressed. That said, TAMU hasn’t really had anything for passing game targets in the past few years either. They haven’t had a WR drafted in the last 2 years and aren’t likely to have one this year either. 

theyve had guys though, im actually surprised they haven't had a receiver drafted. admittedly though, at least one of them declared a year before he should have. Mond has had weapons however, but agreed, not at the level of a UF, Bama, or LSU.

Edit: sternberger was a 3rd round pick at TE

18 hours ago, G08 said:

Subject to change, and operating under the assumption we have no shot at Lawrence/Fields/Lance/Fields/Jones:

Mond
Mills
Trask

Newman

Book
Ehlinger

I wouldn't be surprised if we came away with two QB's from this draft with one of them being Mills or Newman late.

• Like 1

Seems like the most likely suspects are Jones, Mills, and Mond.  IMHO Trask shouldn't even be considered if for no other reason than he played at Florida.  We've tried that before more than once.

Getting Jones would in all likelihood mean cutting line ahead of NE unless Billy Belicheat decided to bring Jimmy G back for another go round.  IMHO that's do able if he's really Pace and Nagy's guy.

Some scouting reports seem to think Mills is much like Jones without the supporting cast Jones had at 'Bama and Stanford with it's pro style offenses has turned out some QBs with pro starting potential.

Don't know enough about Mond to comment other than to say **** athleticism if it's rated higher than having a QBs brain and intuition.  Mitch has a good arm and great athleticism but a playground QBs grasp of offensive concepts.

Of course you'd prefer both but guys like Brady and Big Ben have won a lot of games without being able to make many plays with their legs.  You just have to build a wall in front of them which Pace has often ignored.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Seems like the most likely suspects are Jones, Mills, and Mond.  IMHO Trask shouldn't even be considered if for no other reason than he played at Florida.  We've tried that before more than once.

Getting Jones would in all likelihood mean cutting line ahead of NE unless Billy Belicheat decided to bring Jimmy G back for another go round.  IMHO that's do able if he's really Pace and Nagy's guy.

Some scouting reports seem to think Mills is much like Jones without the supporting cast Jones had at 'Bama and Stanford with it's pro style offenses has turned out some QBs with pro starting potential.

Don't know enough about Mond to comment other than to say **** athleticism if it's rated higher than having a QBs brain and intuition.  Mitch has a good arm and great athleticism but a playground QBs grasp of offensive concepts.

Of course you'd prefer both but guys like Brady and Big Ben have won a lot of games without being able to make many plays with their legs.  You just have to build a wall in front of them which Pace has often ignored.

Lots of people think that the 49ers traded up specifically for Jones, so if any quarterback falls, it will likely be Lance. We'll see though, this time of year is crazy and there are smokescreens everywhere. 

That's almost beside the point though, as it seems that Jones is now firmly entrenched in that upper echelon, and that's rarified air the Bears will be unlikely to ascend to. So we're looking at Trask, Mills, or Mond. Most likely.

Those guys all have things going for them. Mond is the highest risk, but even he could turn out. I still think Trask is probably my favorite out of that group...but there is a lot to be said in favor of Mills. 

I just pray to the football gods for COMPETENCEY at the position. Is that too much to ask? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Lots of people think that the 49ers traded up specifically for Jones, so if any quarterback falls, it will likely be Lance. We'll see though, this time of year is crazy and there are smokescreens everywhere. 

That's almost beside the point though, as it seems that Jones is now firmly entrenched in that upper echelon, and that's rarified air the Bears will be unlikely to ascend to. So we're looking at Trask, Mills, or Mond. Most likely.

Those guys all have things going for them. Mond is the highest risk, but even he could turn out. I still think Trask is probably my favorite out of that group...but there is a lot to be said in favor of Mills. 

I just pray to the football gods for COMPETENCEY at the position. Is that too much to ask? 

We are Bears fans so yes it is.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm pretty much in the "wake me when it's over" mode now Heinz.  Without a top level QB the Bears are going nowhere so unless the QB fairy delivers Russell Wilson to Halas Hall it's gonna be another year of trying to slide into the playoffs through the cellar door.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'm pretty much in the "wake me when it's over" mode now Heinz.  Without a top level QB the Bears are going nowhere so unless the QB fairy delivers Russell Wilson to Halas Hall it's gonna be another year of trying to slide into the playoffs through the cellar door.

This is where I am at as well.

Or, we hit a crazy Dak Prescott level home run in the draft.