Future QB Discussion

G08

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This is where I am at as well.

Or, we hit a crazy Dak Prescott level home run in the draft.

It seems that’s going to have to be the hope. It would be nice for once if we ended up with the Wilson or Prescott or Montana outcome out of a mid-round pick instead of the Davis Webb or Will Grier outcome. 

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

It seems that’s going to have to be the hope. It would be nice for once if we ended up with the Wilson or Prescott or Montana outcome out of a mid-round pick instead of the Davis Webb or Will Grier outcome. 

It’s unlikely, but seems to be the only true hope for this season and this regime.

Even a Jalen Hurts level performance likely gets them competing for a playoff spot if the defense doesn’t drive off a Cliff.

29 minutes ago, G08 said:

Who do you like?

I have no issue with Mills. In fact I like him and I said that a week or so ago. His knee does concern me. I just don't need Riddick promoting him to be sold, that's all. Every year he's the fan favorite to be their favorite team's GM and he never gets a job. Maybe he just isn't cut out for it

17 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Louis Riddick, blah. He LOVED the Foles trade for the Bears last year, too. Whatever

Weren't you one of the people who wanted him to be our GM this year?

If you don't like his opinion on a QB, while he's still a neutral, then why would you want him to be our GM?

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If you don't like his opinion on a QB, while he's still a neutral, then why would you want him to be our GM?

Remember I want Rick Smith to be the head of the franchise, a real President/ CEO who is a football guy. He'd have been the one pulling the trigger. Riddick would be his assistant and I think he brings a good bit to the table at othwe positions. While idk exactly how direct Riddick's influence was there was a lot of talent acquired by WAS and PHI (primarily PHI) while he was there. Plus I like Campbell way more than Nagy and trust him to get the QB to develop. 

Between the two I imagine we'd have pretty good drafts and direction in FA. I trust Smith's eye for a QB more than Riddick's. 

Just because I thought Foles sucked didnt mean everyone had to. I wish I was wrong on that one and Riddick was right. That being said he likely overestimated our HC and roster like most did too. I've disagreed with Bill as a HC and a host of other decisions by the top guys. Doesnt mean they aren't still killing it usually. I'd bet if he was the GM he'd have scouted a lot more thoroughly than he did with the Foles to Chicago deal, and no way do I believe he'd put his career in Foles' hands. I'm still going to mock him for it. Lol

Overall my favorite staff I put together was the Smith/Caserio/Daboll/D'Alessandris/Mayo one from a last season. I REALLY like that group. Caserio scouted, did contracts and worked FA but Bill was the one who ultimately made every pick, and that's his weakness imo. I think Caserio will do better drafting than people think, the Esterby (sp?) and Watson situation already had people down on him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yes, and shortly thereafter, I did more research and posted on here that I no longer wanted him as a few teams interview him each year & he never gets a job, so he likely isn't all that impressive of a candidate in league circles. I believe the back and forth was with @Heinz D.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Yes, and shortly thereafter, I did more research and posted on here that I no longer wanted him as a few teams interview him each year & he never gets a job, so he likely isn't all that impressive of a candidate in league circles. I believe the back and forth was with @Heinz D.

That could be, I don't remember. I do like Riddick. I'm not sure he'd ever be my number one choice, but I think he could do the job. 

The Foles trade still was a good move, by the way. There was no way to really foresee that the rest of the offense was going to fall apart like it did. 

I've been thinking lately that if I were the GM of the Bears I might give Houston a call and tell them "I'll give you two first round picks for Watson right now.  This gets the problem off your hands and at least you can come out of this thing with something.  He is damaged goods at this point, but I'm willing to take the gamble."

The reason being that a guy with that kind of talent will always be given a second chance in the NFL, no matter what happens.  Worst case scenario, he could end up in a situation like Michael Vick, where he does some jail time.  I can't see it being a terribly long sentence. 

Give Houston a couple of 1st round picks and wait until the smoke clears.  At that point, you will have a player who should still be at least a Top 10 QB and he didn't cost you an arm and a leg. 

Other than that, it just doesn't seem like there is much out there that will give you that kind of return on 2 first round picks at the QB position.  I think I'd take the gamble.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've been thinking lately that if I were the GM of the Bears I might give Houston a call and tell them "I'll give you two first round picks for Watson right now.  This gets the problem off your hands and at least you can come out of this thing with something.  He is damaged goods at this point, but I'm willing to take the gamble."

Watson may end up in jail. For a very long time. I don't think it's worth the risk at this point. 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Watson may end up in jail. For a very long time. I don't think it's worth the risk at this point. 

That's the gamble you would be taking.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't see him doing much time, if any.  I can respect your opinion on it Heinz.  I just thought I'd throw it out there.  It's a gamble with a pretty big upside, IMO.  A couple of first rounders would be a buzzkill to lose, but they could end up being busts anyway.

20 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Remember I want Rick Smith to be the head of the franchise, a real President/ CEO who is a football guy. He'd have been the one pulling the trigger. Riddick would be his assistant and I think he brings a good bit to the table at othwe positions. While idk exactly how direct Riddick's influence was there was a lot of talent acquired by WAS and PHI (primarily PHI) while he was there. Plus I like Campbell way more than Nagy and trust him to get the QB to develop.

I don't know how much influence he had with WAS or Philly either and I won't pretend too. But what I do know (and find odd) is that each of those teams were run by two HOF coaches (Gibbs and Ried) and so far Reid has been the only person in football who has been willing to hire him.

So when talking about the talent on those teams and Riddick's direct influence....how much weight does his name really hold here?  Plus, do we really want another Ried inheritance? 

I don't know. I just never understood the hype about Riddick and always felt like some people were jumping on the bandwagon only because the media started mentioning his name.

All you have to do is listen to him broadcasting games to see just how out-of-touch he really is at this point.  He doesn't understand basic rules, and he is one of the most apologetic broadcasters where no player can do any wrong in his eyes.  He reaches so far to try to protect them when they do wrong that it isn't even a reach anymore.
Listening this guy makes my ears hurt. He says some of the dumbest things on television and it really makes it hard to take him serious.  

I don't wanna make a guy a GM who doesn't even understand the basic level of rules and holds players to zero accountability. That just seems like a recipe for disaster.