Future QB Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

18 million dollar misdirection and he still felt he had to trade up?

That might be even more embarrassing.

Trubisky is/was a talented, athletic, hard-working, good-natured kid.

He didn't reach his potential (here). Maybe he never will -- I don't know -- but I'd bet on that player 9 times out of 10.

Edited by G08

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If you tag Arob that leaves 12 million dollars to sign 10-12 players and then 4-5 million for our draft pool.

It isn’t tight. It is razor thin.

Oh I agree. They almost have to extend him if they go for Wentz unless they do something drastic to reduce his cap hit for 2021 which just pushes the problem to 2022 anyway. In what I put together I have them giving ARob an extension for 6/126 ($21M/year) with a first year cap hit right around $10M. Last 2 years of that are basically fluff to make the SB palatable.

They’d save $10.5M by cutting or trading Hicks but I think they’d really like to avoid doing that. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Oh I agree. They almost have to extend him if they go for Wentz unless they do something drastic to reduce his cap hit for 2021 which just pushes the problem to 2022 anyway. In what I put together I have them giving ARob an extension for 6/126 ($21M/year) with a first year cap hit right around $10M. Last 2 years of that are basically fluff to make the SB palatable.

They’d save $10.5M by cutting or trading Hicks but I think they’d really like to avoid doing that. 

AZ, please do a mock off season. It is fun.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Let me paraphrase

Certain idiotic fans: a bunch of things about not having faith in Pace being able to address the QB spot.

Me (you): Don’t worry, there will be options, you just want to hate. 

That is literally what you wrote. Just longer and more self congratulatory.

So you didn't read my post and are just ranting into left field. Gotcha.  Thanks for proving my point. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

In what I put together I have them giving ARob an extension for 6/126 ($21M/year) with a first year cap hit right around $10M. Last 2 years of that are basically fluff to make the SB palatable.

I'm curious how you are working out a 6/126 deal and still keep his cap hit at 10M this year. 

Amari Cooper got 40% in fully guaranteed money with 10 in SB and an additional 20% more in incentives. Thomas got 38% with 20 in SB and an additional 20% more in incentives. It's also worth noting that both were on their 2nd contract and were extensions, not new contracts, and their 1st contracts following their rookie deals.  This will be Allen's 3rd contract overall and his 2nd past his rookie deal and this will be a new contract and not an extension. 

I'm not arguing it, I'm just trying to figure out how you are structuring the contract is all.  Because I can't see it.  Your taking much more than 10M this year unless you think he would take 20M in SB and backload it on a 6 year deal? Backloaded contracts used to happen in the past but not so much anymore.  Plus I can't see that happening because he'll be 33 years old at that point. 

6/126  50M fully gtd  (40%) w/ 20M SB + additional  possible 15M gtd in the form of a roster bonus if he's on the roster in 2024.

50M - 20SB(first 2 years) + 30M/4years = 7.5M 

• 2021:  12.6M BS (10+SB) + 10M  prorated GTD = 22.6M cap hit / cap savings = -27.4M (no outs)
  • 2022: 12.6M BS (10+SB) + 10M prorated GTD  = 32.6M cap hit / cap savings = -7.4M (no outs)
  • 2023: 12.6M BS + 7.5M prorated GTD  = 20.1M cap hit / cap savings = -9.9M (no outs)
  • 2024: 12.6M BS + 7.5M prorated GTD = 20.1M cap hit / cap saving see notes (there are outs -2.4M)

(15M becomes GTD for RB IF he is still on the roster in March when the new season starts but also lowers the hit for the next 2 years of the contract. In return, if he's released or traded before the deadline then we have to pay him the remaining 22.5M)

• 2025:  7.6M BS + 7.5M prorated GTD  = 15.1M cap hit / cap savings = +1k
  • 2026:  7.6M BS + 7.5M prorated GTD  = 15.1M cap hit / cap savings = +7.6M

This is just a rough draft (I'm missing 10.1M somewhere) but nevertheless this would be similar between the same deals Thomas, Cooper, and Nuk got but also compensation for it being his 3rd contract and a new one. 

I would be fine with something this and this is probably on par with what he's looking to get. 

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So you didn't read my post and are just ranting into left field. Gotcha.  Thanks for proving my point. 

Read the entire thing. Wish I could get the time back.

Perhaps you would like to give a summary of your key point for those of us who are struggling?

Edited by WindyCity

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

18 million dollar misdirection and he still felt he had to trade up?

That might be even more embarrassing.

Agree with this. Especially when the consolation prize would have been Watson. Horrendous ineptitude.