Journey to Ring 3: Club Evaluation & Building Another Champion

DreamKid

On 2/20/2021 at 3:24 AM, DreamKid said:

Linsley and Scherff are the biggest name IOL hitting FA, but I wonder if we'd have interest in Joe Thuney?

Proven high end RG we could slot in immediately. Then if Orlando doesn't get traded we'd have the right side solidified going into the draft which has a pretty strong group of Centers this year.

So -   LT: Stanley LG: Bozeman 😄Rookie RG:Thuney RT: Brown 

We wouldn't be breaking the bank and would only have to rely on one Rookie OL piece in 2021. We've gotten away from scenarios where Orlando stays in the forum lately, but the above is a palatable one for me. And even if he does go, Thuney could be a smart addition as it puts a Vet between two spots where we might have Rookies starting. 

Just an FYI coming from a Pats fan. Thuney has played LG at a high level his entire 5 year career in New England. So in this scenario he would likely kick Bozeman inside to C.

Shaq Mason is the Pats RG.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Just an FYI coming from a Pats fan. Thuney has played LG at a high level his entire 5 year career in New England. So in this scenario he would likely kick Bozeman inside to C.

Shaq Mason is the Pats RG.

My bad on that. Thanks for the feedback. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Nothing is populating here for me (something must be wrong with my phone or something), What did he do?

Was a tweet that basically showed the 2018 Ravens defense and check marks next to the ones that are still here and the entire list was basically just Brandon Williams and Marlon haha

Complete personnel turnover in 2 years and still getting the same results

• Like 1

I know that for some reason with Ravens fans almost every single critique of Lamar has to be broached with "ok but his supporting cast", or "ok but his OC" as to not stir up a crap storm, but there were open throws to be made in that Buffalo game that Lamar just simply didn't see/make.

That doesn't need a qualifier. Other areas need to be better too. But Lamar has to step up in these situations next year, plain and simple. I believe he can, and hopefully he will.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I know that for some reason with Ravens fans almost every single critique of Lamar has to be broached with "ok but his supporting cast", or "ok but his OC" as to not stir up a crap storm, but there were open throws to be made in that Buffalo game that Lamar just simply didn't see/make.

That doesn't need a qualifier. Other areas need to be better too. But Lamar has to step up in these situations next year, plain and simple. I believe he can, and hopefully he will.

Yup, agree 100%. He left way too many plays on the field last year. It's just easier for most to blame other people/players than admit he disappointed last year.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

Yup, agree 100%. He left way too many plays on the field last year. It's just easier for most to blame other people/players than admit he disappointed last year.

I feel like Lamar wasn't confident in the oline play last year and was really quick to take off instead of standing back there and going through his progressions. In 2018 you see what he is capable of when he is comfortable and in rhythm within the pocket. This is why Oline is far and away the #1 priority this offseason!!

• Like 2

Lamar regressing in 2020 shouldn't be something that anyone really debates. 

He simply wasn't as good, and it hurt us. When you step back and look at all 3 of his years, it's like he reversed how he should've looked in Year 2 with Year 3. Like if he played to his 2020 level right after his Rookie season we'd all still be very happy with what would look like above average QB progression. Then if he took it to an even higher level in Year 3 and performed like he did in 2019 we'd just view it as him continuing on that trajectory.

It's kind of odd how it all shook out. And when you look at what could have been a major factor in causing or at least aiding in the regression- the COVID afflicted offseason certainly sticks out like a sore thumb.

Then you add in his top two targets in Hollywood & Andrews also regressing to some degree, and the picture becomes even clearer. 

Lamar needs to better, the pieces we already have in house around him need to better, Roman needs to be better, and in general a cleaner offseason should work wonders for that side of the ball in particular. I'm expecting a much stronger 2021 from that unit, even if we are down one Orlando Brown Jr. come opening day.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

IIRC if you look at the Lamar thread, db posted a video of "The QB School" (i.e. former NFL back-up QB JK Sullivan) breaking down that game that was basically a longer, deeper version of this and both db and I posted about Lamar missing/not making throws based on that video

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Lamar regressing in 2020 shouldn't be something that anyone really debates. 

He simply wasn't as good, and it hurt us. When you step back and look at all 3 of his years, it's like he reversed how he should've looked in Year 2 with Year 3. Like if he played to his 2020 level right after his Rookie season we'd all still be very happy with what would look like above average QB progression. Then if he took it to an even higher level in Year 3 and performed like he did in 2019 we'd just view it as him continuing on that trajectory.

It's kind of odd how it all shook out. And when you look at what could have been a major factor in causing or at least aiding in the regression- the COVID afflicted offseason certainly sticks out like a sore thumb.

Then you add in his top two targets in Hollywood & Andrews also regressing to some degree, and the picture becomes even clearer. 

Lamar needs to better, the pieces we already have in house around him need to better, Roman needs to be better, and in general a cleaner offseason should work wonders for that side of the ball in particular. I'm expecting a much stronger 2021 from that unit, even if we are down one Orlando Brown Jr. come opening day.

Yup. Ultimately though I think the surebet way to giving Lamar confidence is by building up the IOL pass protection. Powers was studly as a RB but was very inconsistent in pass pro. Tyre Phillips was a walking L on the OL wherever he lined up. Give Lamar consistent IOL play specifically and he’s stepping into throws more confidently. His eye angles dropped too often in 2020, even when the OL play improved, he didn’t trust it on a play to play basis.

Id love to have two early 2nds and pick up both Wyatt Davis and Creed Humphrey and solidify Lamar’s interior for the next 4-5 years. I think we can get by with kicking Mekari/rookie out to RT or signing Wagner as an above average to good RT on a value deal. But getting good-elite play at C-RG would take his confidence to the next level... of course I do believe he needs another high level target though as well. Though perhaps it’s more fair to say Andrews/Hollywood would benefit from such a guy.

40 minutes ago, drd23 said:

IIRC if you look at the Lamar thread, db posted a video of "The QB School" (i.e. former NFL back-up QB JK Sullivan) breaking down that game that was basically a longer, deeper version of this and both db and I posted about Lamar missing/not making throws based on that video

Yeah and if anyone is interested he does a fantasy job breaking down the QBs in this draft class... though I know there’s no real dog in that race, just saying.

edit: also his pre-snap reads is a huge area he needs to improve within. I believe someone mentioned that Jordan Palmer wanted to work with him this offseason on that. If he can improve in that area, we get him an elite IOL, and get an additional impact weapon... good luck rest of AFCN.

Edited by diamondbull424

I feel like Twitter/Reddit probably creates a bit of a false construct around how people talk about Lamar because it's basically lowest common denominator stuff with lots of morons on both sides making it seem like you're either 'Lamar's perfect' or 'Lamar's a running back lol' and both sides feed off each other. There's a little bit of that on the negative side on NFL Gen but in terms of our little corner here I don't really think anyone takes that absolutist approach in terms of pretending any of Lamar/the supporting cast/Roman are blameless at the expense of others. To the extent there's disagreement it's just on the degree to which you think one area is a bigger problem over the other.

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I feel like Twitter/Reddit probably creates a bit of a false construct around how people talk about Lamar because it's basically lowest common denominator stuff with lots of morons on both sides making it seem like you're either 'Lamar's perfect' or 'Lamar's a running back lol' and both sides feed off each other. There's a little bit of that on the negative side on NFL Gen but in terms of our little corner here I don't really think anyone takes that absolutist approach in terms of pretending any of Lamar/the supporting cast/Roman are blameless at the expense of others. To the extent there's disagreement it's just on the degree to which you think one area is a bigger problem over the other.

Agreed. Even with me being Roman’s second biggest critic to @RavensfanRD I acknowledge he’s a beast drawing up the run game and OL have developed wonderfully under his tutelage.