Journey to Ring 3: Club Evaluation & Building Another Champion

DreamKid

As I understand it, AB's trial for sexual assault and rape starts Dec. 6, 2021. I'd love to have him as a player, but that's really rough timing. Would it be worth it to have him on the team if he'll be suspended for the playoffs? Wouldn't it be a major distraction leading up to December? 

If he can settle the lawsuit by training camp, then that's a different story. 

27 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

He averaged 2 catches for 20 yards per playoff game. The Bucs would have won without him. 

I believe so too. But there was a popular narrative that he destroys teams. And the 2-20 thing disproves the other narrative that if he doesn’t get his touches he’ll complain and destroy the team.

2 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I believe so too. But there was a popular narrative that he destroys teams. And the 2-20 thing disproves the other narrative that if he doesn’t get his touches he’ll complain and destroy the team.

I just think his head space might be a bit different if he's in the middle of a trial where he's being accused of sexual assault and rape. 

1 hour ago, jpeter15 said:

Supposedly Ravens and Bears are talking about Orlando Brown and/or Allen Robinson. Money aside who do you think adds more value to us making a Superbowl run next year with the current makeup of our team?

Brown at right tackle gives us a better shot in my opinion. ARob with a substandard offensive line in a run first offense wouldn't move the needle as much as some people think it would.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 7:34 PM, drd23 said:

200 seems like a lot.  Pretty sure they usually say they have ~150 prospects on their board

I do wonder if the limited games, health checks, in person interviews, and amount of activities off the field has given less data that may have taken a player off the board.

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I do wonder if the limited games, health checks, in person interviews, and amount of activities off the field has given less data that may have taken a player off the board.

The last two (which effectively boil down to being less able to get deep background info to take someone off the board) are certainly possibilities, but I'd have thought that limited access to do health checks would make teams more cautious re: long term impact of prior injuries

With the draft now behind us, the most obvious weakness on the team is still offensive line-

LT: Ronnie Stanley- Coming off season ending injury.

LG: Competition(Cleveland,Mekari,Powers,Bredeson,Phillips)- None of them are high end options.

Center: Bradley Bozeman- Hasn't started at the position in years.

RG: Kevin Zeitler- Aging Vet whose effectiveness is sharply trending down.

RT: FA(Kelly/Villanueva?)- Journeyman talents who will be in our system for the first time.

We have enough bodies on the interior, but should one of our starting Tackles go down.. it's not looking good.

Even if you're sympathetic to Tyre Phillip's struggles in general last year(Rookie, COVID offseason, Injuries, etc), you still shouldn't want him anywhere near a starting Tackle spot.

Until proven otherwise, we need to work under the assumption that the offensive line could be a hot mess in 2021. Best case scenario is Stanley not being too far removed from his typical level of play, the IOL shuffle producing at least C+/B- level play, and Nick Boyle working in tandem with the FA RT to provide adequate blocking on the right side.

It's weird for us to be in a position where we have all the weapons but the OL is such a question mark. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

With the draft now behind us, the most obvious weakness on the team is still offensive line-

LT: Ronnie Stanley- Coming off season ending injury.

LG: Competition(Cleveland,Mekari,Powers,Bredeson,Phillips)- None of them are high end options.

Center: Bradley Bozeman- Hasn't started at the position in years.

RG: Kevin Zeitler- Aging Vet whose effectiveness is sharply trending down.

RT: FA(Kelly/Villanueva?)- Journeyman talents who will be in our system for the first time.

We have enough bodies on the interior, but should one of our starting Tackles go down.. it's not looking good.

Even if you're sympathetic to Tyre Phillip's struggles in general last year(Rookie, COVID offseason, Injuries, etc), you still shouldn't want him anywhere near a starting Tackle spot.

Until proven otherwise, we need to work under the assumption that the offensive line could be a hot mess in 2021. Best case scenario is Stanley not being too far removed from his typical level of play, the IOL shuffle producing at least C+/B- level play, and Nick Boyle working in tandem with the FA RT to provide adequate blocking on the right side.

It's weird for us to be in a position where we have all the weapons but the OL is such a question mark. 

On the flip side, in a best case scenario, Stanley returns to form and remains completely healthy for the season. Cleveland wins the LG position in camp and dominates in our run-heavy scheme. Bozeman returns to a position at which, IIRC, he was one of the best collegiate centers in the country. Zeitler has a career resurgence, similar to Matt Birk, playing for a title contender. And either the vet we sign or one of our young prospects proves to be better than expected holding down the RT spot.

What can I say, I'm a glass half full kind of guy. 😅

• Like 3