Chargers hire DC Brandon Staley as HC

.Buzz

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

And yet the most successful HC of the past 20 years is a defensive-minded HC...

Not saying it won't work, I've read anything but the best about him, just not a good hire when you can get someone like Daboll.

That's the comparison.

2 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

I am trying to remember who were the lead candidates for Chargers job when they hired Lynn and if Lynn was considered a good hire at the time.

IIRC Lynn was viewed as a good hire. He was viewed as a culture guy and build a respectable team. 

He was a lock for the Bills job full time before they met with McDermott.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bearerofnews said:

I am trying to remember who were the lead candidates for Chargers job when they hired Lynn and if Lynn was considered a good hire at the time.

Here’s the list. I would have made the mistake of hiring Patricia or Mike Smith. The only one who surpassed Lynn was McDermott.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/01/2017-nfl-head-coaching-search-tracker

Just now, Trentwannabe said:

IIRC Lynn was viewed as a good hire. He was viewed as a culture guy and build a respectable team. 

He was a lock for the Bills job full time before they met with McDermott.

The culture thing is still true. If he can just be more forward thinking and fix his inane game management skills, Lynn can definitely be a good to very good HC in the league. Everyone on the Chargers, from players to FO to the owners, loved the guy. I’ve never seen a fired Charger head coach get so much love in all my short 25 years as a fan. It was quite surprising given the Spanos public reputation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kramxel said:

Not saying it won't work, I've read anything but the best about him, just not a good hire when you can get someone like Daboll.

That's the comparison.

I agree to an extent even though I’m keeping my fingers crossed. The last defensive oriented guy we got was pretty good. Maybe it’s time to pivot from the offensive minds.

The defense/offense stuff doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. It is cliche, but the Chargers FO needs to worry about getting the right guy regardless of his background. From what I have read, Staley seems like a good candidate. The team's biggest problem and this is going back to the Norv years was their lack of attention to detail. Staley seems detail oriented without being a micro manger. If Staley can help the team clean up the little (yet important) things they screw up during the games then they should be competing for the playoffs fairly quickly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kramxel said:

That's the comparison.

Brian Daboll has been a NFL OC for seven years. His offense finished #2 in PPG and YPG this year. In the other six years, the best one of his offenses finished in the NFL in either PPG or YPG is #20. I'm not saying Daboll will be a bad HC. Being a great coordinator doesn't necessarily make you a good HC. But I am saying his track record of success as a coordinator isn't impressive. As for Staley, he has been a coordinator for one year and turned a mediocre defense in 2019 into the #1 defense in 2020. And Rams players, including Jalen Ramsey (who isn't know for BSing), have absolutely raved about what a great and player-centric coach he is.

Personally, I think you landed the defensive version of McVay or Kyle Shanahan. And I don't think you'll be pining for Daboll in future years.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Brian Daboll has been a NFL OC for seven years. His offense finished #2 in PPG and YPG this year. In the other six years, the best one of his offenses finished in the NFL in either PPG or YPG is #20. I'm not saying Daboll will be a bad HC. Being a great coordinator doesn't necessarily make you a good HC. But I am saying his track record of success as a coordinator isn't impressive. As for Staley, he has been a coordinator for one year and turned a mediocre defense in 2019 into the #1 defense in 2020. And Rams players, including Jalen Ramsey (who isn't know for BSing), have absolutely raved about what a great and player-centric coach he is.

Personally, I think you landed the defensive version of McVay or Kyle Shanahan. And I don't think you'll be pining for Daboll in future years.

Yeah, I was searching for a parallel for Staley and those two came to mind. I also was prepared to draw a parallel to Brian Flores, but had been trying to find another because I figured Typical FF wouldn't be able to look past the BB assistant narrative to consider where there actually were similarities between Staley and Flores.

• Like 1