Chargers hire DC Brandon Staley as HC

.Buzz

40 minutes ago, Xenos said:

@Heinz D., @JAF-N72EX

Does this guy have potential as DC?

Not surprising to hear about Rodgers leaving too. Both him and Staley were groomed from Fangio and now both of them want their own chances to create their paths. 

As far as Staley goes, yes....he has a lot of potential. 

As I said, he came from Fangio's system and what you're going to get is much less the same philosophy (and one he showed with the Rams) and that's nothing to sneeze at.  There won't be a ton of blitzing, as he believes in "bullying" the offense where each man is responsible for beating his 1 on 1 against the run, and playing the numbers game in passing down situations with man-coverage and help over the top (2x2 looks will be met w/ 6 or more in coverage).  His biggest focus will always be to stop big plays.  Against 3x1 or empty sets you can expect to see alot of single high looks so you better have a rangy safety or two (both safeties won't play your traditional FS and SS positions either, they will be used at his discretion --both will rotate depending on the play,  strong or weak side, field position, based on their strengths and weaknesses, etc). 

This philosophy can work really well when executed and it really helps to prevent the defense from exploding even if the front 4 or 5 fail to get home or if there's a mix up in the secondary......the damage will still be limited because of how the defense is coached ("bullying and swarming the ball').

You can expect the Chargers to target physical players in the FA and draft to better suite this.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not surprising to hear about Rodgers leaving too. Both him and Staley were groomed from Fangio and now both of them want their own chances to create their paths. 

As far as Staley goes, yes....he has a lot of potential. 

As I said, he came from Fangio's system and what you're going to get is much less the same philosophy (and one he showed with the Rams) and that's nothing to sneeze at.  There won't be a ton of blitzing, as he believes in "bullying" the offense where each man is responsible for beating his 1 on 1 against the run, and playing the numbers game in passing down situations with man-coverage and help over the top (2x2 looks will be met w/ 6 or more in coverage).  His biggest focus will always be to stop big plays.  Against 3x1 or empty sets you can expect to see alot of single high looks so you better have a rangy safety or two (both safeties won't play your traditional FS and SS positions either, they will be used at his discretion --both will rotate depending on the play,  strong or weak side, field position, based on their strengths and weaknesses, etc). 

This philosophy can work really well when executed and it really helps to prevent the defense from exploding even if the front 4 or 5 fail to get home or if there's a mix up in the secondary......the damage will still be limited because of how the defense is coached ("bullying and swarming the ball').

You can expect the Chargers to target physical players in the FA and draft to better suite this.  

I would expect Staley to be heavily involved in the defense, and he does things a bit differently from Fangio. Outside of Ramsey locking on #1 WRs, he didn't run much M2M with our defense. You're right about relying on the front to win against the run. We defended the run with light boxes. But we didn't use a lot of single-high coverages. It was mainly C-2, C-4, and C-6. But you're right about the safeties being used interchangeably. And it's always possible that Staley does things differently with the Chargers. Their personnel might favor a different approach.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 9:09 AM, MikeT14 said:

This was the point I was going to ask/add. What's the ratio of O to D coaches overall?

Past that, I'd point out that if you're going to do a true analysis (and look at where the statistics have relevance), coaches who sustained and returned to the playoffs over-and-over should be weighted more heavily than coaches who happened to make it a year or a couple of years before getting replaced.  Mike McCoy and Anthony Lynn making the playoffs a combined, what...? 3 times?  Those two shouldn't be afforded nearly the same weight in a statistical analysis as, say, Pete Carroll who - even if we leave out the Super Bowls - has taken his team to the playoffs 9 times in 10 seasons.

• Like 1

Some of my favorite parts:

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/21/takeaways-from-chargers-hc-brandon-staleys-introductory-presser/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Vision for the team

Despite being the third-youngest head coach in the NFL, Staley talked like he’s been coaching in the league for well over 10 years.

The 38-year old started by saying that the foundation for the team will start with “relationships” and the second will be “competition.”

“Each and every day, the Chargers need to be on a mission. A mission to create something challenging, competitive, impactful where people within our team can become their best.

Staley has already talked to players Justin Herbert, Keenan Allen, Derwin James, Joey Bosa. But he also has reached out to Chargers legends like LaDainian Tomlinson, Shawne Merriman, and Dan Fouts.

Staley said the team needs to earn the respect of the fans and be proud of a team to cheer for this coming season.

Building system around QB Justin Herbert

Staley has only coached on the defensive side of the ball in his career, but having played quarterback in college and being around many coaches with an offensive background, he considers himself an “offensive coach.”

Staley plans to build a system around Herbert this season.

“My vision for the offense really fits Justin and what he can do well,” Staley said. “Creating a system for Justin and uniquely shaping it for his skill set, because he is unlike anybody in the NFL.”

Staley said he wants Herbert to get “a dual education” which means he will get coached up on the offense but on the defensive side, as well. He wants to show the him what he will face.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't know about this hire. My recollection from Detroit was Lions fans being very frustrated at how predictable he was.

Yeah I don’t know about this either. It feels like a lateral move from Steichen at best. I remember his issues with Detroit as well. Staley said he was going to build a system that was best for Herbert as opposed to the other way around. Here’s hoping Lombardi learned from his previous mistakes and does better this time.

4 hours ago, Xenos said:

It feels like a lateral move from Steichen at best.

Can you or any Chargers fan let me know what we are getting in him if we hire him? I know he was only coordinator for 1 full season, so its kinda hard to say.

Edit: I remember a lot of you guys weren't that high on Reich when he came to Philly after his time there. 

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

5 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Can you or any Chargers fan let me know what we are getting in him if we hire him? I know he was only coordinator for 1 full season, so its kinda hard to say.

Edit: I remember a lot of you guys weren't that high on Reich when he came to Philly after his time there. 

I can’t tell if the offense had issues because of him or Lynn. There were definitely bone headed moments. Siranni may call a more aggressive scheme because of his time under Reich.

Hate to say it, but the Lombardi OC hire probably nudges me into the ambivalent camp on the Staley hiring. (Just given how important Herbert in the Chargers' long-term trajectory, versus any other factor).

Have loved the acknowledgement of the Sloan MIT Conference and it seems like he did an incredible job with the Rams' defense. Further, he's said all the right things regarding modern QB-development and Herbert -- lots of "no square pegs in round holes" sorts of language.

But, haven't read a single compelling defense of Lombardi since we've hired him. Frankly, haven't even seen a single piece of positive sentiment about him in general, and I've already been searching for longer than expected on this. Just seems like Lions fans absolutely despise him, and the McDaniels/McCoy/Gase case studies don't lend a lot of credence to the idea that his proximity to Brees is in any way a net-positive for future teams that hire him.

As @Xenos noted above, would love to hear a semi-knowledgeable take on Lombardi... good or bad.

• Like 1