Chargers hire DC Brandon Staley as HC

.Buzz

4 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

These mofos better not f up a good thing. Seem all over the place.

how is it all over the place??

Lombardi and Staley have a connection. Joe was his QBC/OC in college for a season. So he at least knows how he looks to run offenses.

He coached with Renaldo Hill for a season in Denver. So he is a guy that will be familiar in the schemes he will want to run. 

Just seems like he wants coaches he can full trust and have worked with before

10 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

But they’re totally off message. Hill is talking about doing things on defense that we Staley doesn’t do. Lombardi is talking some nonsense about a power running game. Totally different than what Staley has said. I do like Staley but I’m wary about the other hires.

I don’t see the inconsistency as much as you do. Staley is known to tailor his scheme to his personnel but the base concept is still the same as Hill already affirmed. Anyways, at this point we’re just speculating based on tidbits and tweets of what we see. We won’t know until they’re actually on the field.

On 1/26/2021 at 3:57 PM, Xenos said:

I interpreted the quote differently. I think it’s important to understand what Lombardi said earlier about “balance”. Key words here being “harder to throw”. I think we saw that with the Bills this past weekend and the week before when you have no semblance of a running game unfortunately. The passing game should be our strength but we won’t get far if it’s the only thing we have. If we throw more on first downs and break our tendencies under Lynn, will it matter as much?

A run game helps your pass game sure and you have to have both to be successful. However, as Andy Reid has shown us for decades, the run game doesn’t have to be hand offs from the I formation anymore. Ekelor is the perfect back for a Brian Westbrook type of “run” game. I hope that’s more of the thought process but hard to judge from one interview what the offense is going to look like. I’m more excited about this off season then I’ve been since Marty left. That says a ton. Staley has brought in a ton of young minds and looks to be trying to assemble the best staff he can. Huge difference from the years of continuity we’ve had to put up with. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leoric said:

A run game helps your pass game sure and you have to have both to be successful. However, as Andy Reid has shown us for decades, the run game doesn’t have to be hand offs from the I formation anymore. Ekelor is the perfect back for a Brian Westbrook type of “run” game. I hope that’s more of the thought process but hard to judge from one interview what the offense is going to look like. I’m more excited about this off season then I’ve been since Marty left. That says a ton. Staley has brought in a ton of young minds and looks to be trying to assemble the best staff he can. Huge difference from the years of continuity we’ve had to put up with. 

To be fair, Andy Reid is having better success now compared to his Philly days because he not only has Mahomes but also because he does run the ball better.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Xenos said:

@Oregon Ducks, @Leoric, @Duffman57, @Chargers, @Zappaz, @BoltsFan937, @Bolts223
Spanos is actually shelling out the money this offseason.

Oh My God Omg GIF

I'm telling you with every staff member Staley brings in the more modern the Chargers football becomes. This type of commitment is unheard of from Spanos. We just might see a SB berth this decade. Exciting times to be bolt fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

@Oregon Ducks, @Leoric, @Duffman57, @Chargers, @Zappaz, @BoltsFan937, @Bolts223
Spanos is actually shelling out the money this offseason.

Oh My God Omg GIF

I think what a lot of people don’t realize is that Dean has essentially been out of the picture since the move to LA. John Spanos is who runs this team. 

While I do have criticisms of John, he does seem like he actually cares about winning and is not like his father. 

• Like 2