Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

27 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I also wonder if part of the decision behind letting Kareem walk is seeing if Ojemudia plays better at SS.  He has the tools to be a good CB.  But his tackling and nose for the ball in forcing fumbles, SS kinda fits really well too (obv you take the CB if he’s great there - but an OK CB who’s a great tackler and has the speed / size to cover TE’s also makes for a possibly really good safety). 

Ojemudia isn't a good tackler though ... In fact, it was probably the most frustrating thing about his play last year. He can't form tackle, which is a rather big problem for a Safety because there is nobody behind you to clear your mess up. 

We play a lot of Cover 1/3 Robber, but both Safeties play the Centerfield and Robber, so you need a good skillset to play there for Fangio. Ojemudia isn't going to be a Safety any time soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Ojemudia isn't a good tackler though ... In fact, it was probably the most frustrating thing about his play last year. He can't form tackle, which is a rather big problem for a Safety because there is nobody behind you to clear your mess up. 

We play a lot of Cover 1/3 Robber, but both Safeties play the Centerfield and Robber, so you need a good skillset to play there for Fangio. Ojemudia isn't going to be a Safety any time soon.

It’s a problem in Fangio’s D either position, but fair point.   If it’s technique that can improve given he’s a rookie, but if not he’s hard to project as a future starter at either position in this D.   Being a big hitter only matters if you also are a sure tackler with Fangio’s system.  

Edited by Broncofan

I am intrigued to see what happens with Phil now. You have to assume someone out there is going to offer him a deal. He might have (understandably) now given up on being a Bronco beyond this year, but the UDFA tag allows Phil to negotiate with the entire league a full league year earlier than it would have with a 1 year, $3m 2nd round tender. Technically, we've done Phil a favour.

Those with decent memory will remember the same with CJ Anderson. We ended up paying him $9m for 2 years after he got an offer sheet from Chicago which was a good deal for him. He 'only' earned $3m over the 2 years after that deal, so if he hadn't have had that offer sheet he may have lost out on millions.

Like I said, there is no denying Phil will be upset with our FO, but he could be a multi-millionaire in the next month with multi-year security.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Those with decent memory will remember the same with CJ Anderson. We ended up paying him $9m for 2 years after he got an offer sheet from Chicago which was a good deal for him. He 'only' earned $3m over the 2 years after that deal, so if he hadn't have had that offer sheet he may have lost out on millions.

Chicago? I swore it was Miami lol I'm losing it .

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I said this yesterday, will say it again. We will be bringing in another CB in FA. Despite Klis trying to say our group is solid, it's not, and we need more talent. Darby is a #2, and while he has talent, he also has injury issues. Callahan cant stay healthy. Ojemudia showed flashes, still needs work. Bassey is a UDFA with little experience. Need more talent at the position. Period.

Yeah we aren’t done. Apparently we had an agreement with Davis for $8.4m per year but the Chargers matched it dollar for dollar and he chose to stay in LA. The good news is there is an absolute ton of talent in the FA pool. You can’t have enough good CBs. Too be honest even if we add another one I still think Surtain is in the conversation at 9. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Yeah we aren’t done. Apparently we had an agreement with Davis for $8.4m per year but the Chargers matched it dollar for dollar and he chose to stay in LA. The good news is there is an absolute ton of talent in the FA pool. You can’t have enough good CBs. Too be honest even if we add another one I still think Surtain is in the conversation at 9. 

Completely agree with you. And I wouldn't be the least bit upset if he was chosen at 9. With the talent in the division, and the NFL at large, you can't have enough CBs. That said, I think it makes LB more likely, maybe OLB. Safety is now firmly a need too.

12 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Completely agree with you. And I wouldn't be the least bit upset if he was chosen at 9. With the talent in the division, and the NFL at large, you can't have enough CBs. That said, I think it makes LB more likely, maybe OLB. Safety is now firmly a need too.

Because we have so many needs, though - we should go BPA, and not pick 1 spot over another solely out of biggest / most immediate need (but it's a good tiebreaker if there isn't a talent/skill gap).   It just so happens BPA can be argued to be one of those positions (obviously it's if there's a huge gap that BPA dictates the choice in a vacuum - but a 86 grade WR vs. 85 grade CB, it's going to be a 85 CB.  It just shouldn't be a 80-grade safety over a 85-grade CB).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Would love adoree jackson

I don't follow TEN run D enough (because their pass D has been so abysmal that's where teams pick on them lol) - but if Adoree isn't good in run support, Paton & Fangio won't go there.   Cover guys who make business decisions in run support won't get a look.    Last time I looked, he was just dreadful in run support (he was good in college, so that was surprising) but I didn't follow him last year at all.   If it's unchanged, that's a big no go in a Fangio D.

Edited by Broncofan

30 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Would love adoree jackson

Same. Lets offer him a 1 year 8.5m prove it deal and see how his knee has healed up. He would give us some serious speed at corner, along with Darby who is athletic as well. 

• Like 1