Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

10 hours ago, germ-x said:

Makes complete sense. Denver has one of the best offenses in the NFL if it had a QB that could play.  Same with SF.  

Even if Denver doesn’t get Watson, I see no way Lock is the starting QB.  What happened offensively in Denver with the talent that unit has is 100% because they didn’t have a capable QB.  

Not sure where you got Denver has one of the best offenses in the NFL.  Even if we had a decent QB we still have some work to do on the offense side.  Yes a great QB can make up for those holes, but I don't think we are considered one of the best offenses in the league.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, UnitedInOrgange said:

Not sure where you got Denver has one of the best offenses in the NFL.  Even if we had a decent QB we still have some work to do on the offense side.  Yes a great QB can make up for those holes, but I don't think we are considered one of the best offenses in the league.  

I should have clarified, the potential to be one of the best.  What they accomplished last year with the talent on that offense was embarrassing and much of that fell on Lock’s inability to play QB. 

3 hours ago, UnitedInOrgange said:

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

I should have clarified, the potential to be one of the best.  What they accomplished last year with the talent on that offense was embarrassing and much of that fell on Lock’s inability to play QB. 

Our problems were RT, C and QB last year.  And TBH, QB was a far bigger problem last year.   And the RT/C play doesn't have to improve nearly as much as the QB play needs to.    We have clear in-house options that should improve C play (Cushenberry should have been a backup learning year 1, so year 2 progress is reasonable, and we have Schlottman who actually was OK, better than Cushenberry).   Watson immediately fixes the one big hole in our O in a massive, massive way.

It's not hard to project us as a great O with Watson.   Not hard at all.

Edited by Broncofan

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To this point...

Lot of moving parts and none of this guarantees Denver has the inside track - but Watson’s no trade clause impacts this situation far differently than when the team has all the leverage.  

I think the Niners have the inside track. Kyle and John have been a juggernaut team there, when healthy, and can go all-in for a few years and sacrifice some draft capital and players. Also, with Houston being a Patriot Way team, it's very likely they find Jimmy G a compelling piece in a potential trade. 

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think the Niners have the inside track. Kyle and John have been a juggernaut team there, when healthy, and can go all-in for a few years and sacrifice some draft capital and players. Also, with Houston being a Patriot Way team, it's very likely they find Jimmy G a compelling piece in a potential trade. 

I don't see JimmyG as a needle-mover at all.   NE has interest for sure.   

SF doesn't even need to offer as many 1st round picks - if they are willing to offer Nick Bosa.    That's the apparent stumbling block.  If they don't include Bosa, they don't beat CAR or DEN's package that includes Burns/Brown or Chubb and better pick value. 

SF offers Bosa, 2 1sts & 2 2nds...they are in the lead.   Only picks & JimmyG - CAR & DEN are well ahead.   Then it's more who has the better package there.   If it's true that MIA & NYJ are out of the running (and MIA signing Brissett sure points that way), then it's really more of an even horse-race between CAR (who has shown they will go all out - more will Watson approve going there) & DEN.   If SF includes Bosa, all bets are off, but it's understandable why they'd balk.  He's an elite game-changer much like peak Von was, even better than his brother IMO if he remains healthy.

Edited by Broncofan

33 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Paton brings in RB Mike Boone from Minnesota. Basically a special teamer.

I like it. The bottom of our depth chart have not been great special teams players. Boone was stuck behind two really good players and played really well when given chances. High upside guy that is still young, and at the very least lets us get rid of Freeman. 

12 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Paton brings in RB Mike Boone from Minnesota. Basically a special teamer.

Actually he’s got a decent chance to be the stopgap backup for 1-year while a rookie learns the ropes.    He’s been their 3rd RB only because they invested in Alexander Mattison.   Boone wasnt supposed to play as well as he did but he surprised.   He has decent pass-blocking abilities shown in the preseason and his limited action as well.   He had a 140+ yard game week 17 2019 and led the preseason (yeah I know - but the week 17 game was legit). 

Don’t get me wrong he’s not the future.    But if Lindsay walks it wouldn’t surprise me if he was the 2021 version of Booker from 2018 until a rookie is ready (no long term 2022+ RB on our roster so drafting one likely).    Paton knows him well and his versatility maxes out the backup position.   Doubt Lindsay returns now.

31 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Lindsay’s tender removed. He gone

Wish him well.   A team that needs more of a 2-down guy short-term will love what he brings.   

To clarify on the Boone contract info - it's 2 years, 2.6M guaranteed, and 3.85M overall.   It leaves room for him to be worth a 3rd RB role given his ST versatility - but he's also a very real option to be the backup.   Long-term, MG3 is a UFA after next year, so I would imagine we use a Rd3 / 4 pick on a future RB guy.    Outside of the top 3 guys, it's not as deep in high-end talent as last year (why I would have preferred we dive in then, but that ship has sailed).      Given that, unless it's a 2.8 pick on Javonte Williams (we're not going to get him with a later pick) - I'm OK with going Rd3-4.   At that price, you can take Day 3 annual shots in the draft until you find your guy.

Edited by Broncofan

44 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Lindsay’s tender removed. He gone

Wish the guy nothing but the best. Was a hell of a story. He'll have a nice career somewhere- just think he's not in the cards for what we want to do. Boone will have a decent role this year. I think we'll be taking a RB early-ish. Minnesota has always had a strong running game. Have to think Paton will want to bring that to a team that's historically leaned on that position.

While I've been a strong advocate not to overspend - if there was 1 guy we should consider it for out of the guys who could hit the market, it's Kyle Fuller.   He would cost 14M for this year - then hit FA.     The most likely scenario is that Chicago would trade Fuller before they'd cut him.    They need to consider this because they aren't likely to keep both Hicks & Fuller next year, and the A-Rob franchise tag and cap squeeze and need to sign Dalton / OL help has them in a bit of a bind.  

I'd probably pay a 4th round pick and try to extend Fuller. 

Then we'd have Fuller, Darby (with Ojemudia as our 3rd CB) on the outside, and Callahan inside.  Suddenly our CB corps is very good.    

To be clear, no way I'm paying a Day 2 pick at that $$.     He's not at huge bargain prices - but he's also young, and he fits Fangio's system perfectly (duh).    I think part of Paton's patience here is due to the flexibility in cap offers us a chance to be one of the 7-8 teams with flush cap space who can capitalize on the market if a talent like Fuller becomes available.

Edited by Broncofan