Free agents

WizardHawk

Watt's set for life and would fit any defense in a reserve capacity- he can pretty much go wherever he wants. Doubt it would be here given the one-sided stream of vitriol that defines the Cowboys-Texans "rivalry."

I gotta say, for as much as the Cowboys are supposed to be the NFL equivalent of the Yankees and Lakers, it really sucks to not be a free agent destination. It would just be nice to be excited about something instead of being full of dread and anxiety over the QB situation.

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I would absolutely love to see Dallas make a run at him. 100% chance they don't and go after Jonny Soybean instead

After all the nonsense Watt has endured in Houston I think he will want to go to a club that has a shot at winning.  That takes Dallas out if the running.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Watt's set for life and would fit any defense in a reserve capacity- he can pretty much go wherever he wants. Doubt it would be here given the one-sided stream of vitriol that defines the Cowboys-Texans "rivalry."

I gotta say, for as much as the Cowboys are supposed to be the NFL equivalent of the Yankees and Lakers, it really sucks to not be a free agent destination. It would just be nice to be excited about something instead of being full of dread and anxiety over the QB situation.

I agree with this, though I certainly think we'd be a free agent destination if that's what our front office wanted.

I know I am in the minority and everyone would think I'm crazy, but if we get both our OT back healthy, draft a talented CB, S and DT who can play a regular amount of downs. RESIGN DAK and bring in WATT and not loose Dlaw and Gregory  I would say this team has a good a shot at the super bowl as any team in the NFC except NO and GB.   

Also if I was Jones I would try and do above with TRADING ZEKE for a 6th or 7th if it would help saving 10-15 M on the cap. PIPE DREAM I KNOW>..

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I agree with this, though I certainly think we'd be a free agent destination if that's what our front office wanted.

Idk. It's been suggested that Sammy Watkins turned down roughly the same amount of money from Dallas that he got from KC because he didn't want the kind of media attention that comes with playing here. He's just one guy, but that's one of the only top of the market FAs we've really swung for since Brandon Carr.

Then there was the whole Earl Thomas saga; you can obviously make a strong case they dodged a bullet there, but I don't know. I think if they'd pulled off the trade in 2018 before he really lost his marbles and he'd been a part of that defense, that would've been a game changer for us. It's kind of crazy he never wound up here. And I for one had hoped their decision not to sign him was an indication that that money was earmarked for Byron, which... yeah, no.

Just can't help but feel that Dak is speaking for lots of players and young people in general in not giving an inch on the "it's an honor and privilege to play for the Cowboys" party line. There's no reason anyone should take less to play for this team.*

*besides guys like McCoy and Dalton having family ties

Edited by matt79511

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

He's just one guy, but that's one of the only top of the market FAs we've really swung for since Brandon Carr.

I guess that was my point. They don’t have any desire to be a “FA destination”.

We can talk until we are blue in the face about whether that’s the right strategy, or whether Dallas makes good choices, etc. etc. But I do firmly believe that we could be big time FA players if the people running the team wanted to do it that way. 

46 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

As much as we all want Watt and as much as the team wants Watt the question will come down to does the team re-sign Aldon or does it try and sign Watt. 

I’d take Watt over Aldon any day of the week. Watt’s locker room presence and leadership would be a welcome to the Dline and the entire Defense itself 

I would not be surprised if we make very little attempt to resign Aldon. 

Below are the list of who I can see our would be okay with signing....

• CB Chidobe Awuzie
    OT Cameron Erving
    LS L.P. Ladouceur
    C Joe Looney
    QB Dak Prescott
    LB Joe Thomas
    S Xavier Woods

Though I would not try to "break" the bank on Awuzi Woods Loony or Erving.  And I doubt there is much interest in Thomas and Ladouceur who both should be reasonable. 

2 hours ago, textaz03 said:

I’d take Watt over Aldon any day of the week. Watt’s locker room presence and leadership would be a welcome to the Dline and the entire Defense itself 

As would I but I do remember Jerry saying he would like Aldon back with the team. The guy is stubborn I can see him wanting Aldon over Watt as absurd as that sounds.

22 hours ago, quiller said:

I know I am in the minority and everyone would think I'm crazy, but if we get both our OT back healthy, draft a talented CB, S and DT who can play a regular amount of downs. RESIGN DAK and bring in WATT and not loose Dlaw and Gregory  I would say this team has a good a shot at the super bowl as any team in the NFC except NO and GB.   

Also if I was Jones I would try and do above with TRADING ZEKE for a 6th or 7th if it would help saving 10-15 M on the cap. PIPE DREAM I KNOW>..

You think NO has a good shot at next year's SB with Hill/Winston?