Packers (Unofficially?) Promote Maurice Drayton to ST Coordinator

deltarich87

Just now, incognito_man said:

It wouldn't be surprising to see MLF hire his own guy. He inherited Drayton - but his commitment to him in-season speaks loudly to his belief that the issues are not resolvable by getting rid of Drayton. He has no inherent loyalty to him.

I just chalk it up to MLF doesn't really understand the coaching around STs, he's a young inexperienced coach who understands offense and understands defense by proxy, and he needs outside help on STs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It wouldn't be surprising to see MLF hire his own guy. He inherited Drayton - but his commitment to him in-season speaks loudly to his belief that the issues are not resolvable by getting rid of Drayton. He has no inherent loyalty to him.

LaFleur inherited Drayton, but kept him on as AST, and then when he fired the guy from last year, he hired Drayton. So he's handpicked by LaFleur.

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I just chalk it up to MLF doesn't really understand the coaching around STs, he's a young inexperienced coach who understands offense and understands defense by proxy, and he needs outside help on STs.

I'll chalk it up to LaFleur probably knows what he's doing and we don't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

To be fair, MLF did initially try to get Darren Rizzi and that somehow fell through, and for whatever reason he now seems to constantly be looking for a diamond in a benjo ditch.

Packer higher ups didn't want to pay top dollar for him and he said screw you, I'm going somewhere else.  Blows my mind in this day and age that the Packers got "tight" with their money and didn't hire Rizzi. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Packer higher ups didn't want to pay top dollar for him and he said screw you, I'm going somewhere else.  Blows my mind in this day and age that the Packers got "tight" with their money and didn't hire Rizzi. 

I heard that Rizzi wanted to stay somewhere warm with his family, and GB isn't exactly the warmest place during the course of an NFL season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The only reason to fire him is if he's doing something inadequately himself. MLF seems to strongly believe that it's not the coach's fault. Some posters here also recognize there's more to it than that. None of us REALLY know, and the best info we have is that MLF hasn't fired him - and he's earned our trust in making staffing decisions.

So that leads me to believe it's more of a personnel issue than a coaching issue.

If it was a couple of things then I would agree. If the returner or coverage unit was blowing up then yes, maybe its personnel not coaching.

But its everything.

• Unreliable kicker
  • Duff holder
  • Bad long snapper
  • Bad field goal blocking
  • Truly awful coverage unit
  • Bad kick returner
  • Bad punt returner
  • Even the punter has now started having the odd duff punt
  • Can't even recover onside kick

Everything stinks. Everyone - find it impossible to believe that the entire ST personnel group is useless. Its  unprecedented. Teams usually use the bottom of the roster to play ST so it can't be that hard to find guys to slot into ST positions to at least mediocre standards. Would need to be a crazy co-incidence that we hit upon a year when the entire bottom of the roster are all garbage at ST which co-incides with a Crosby slump as well.

I do get your logic but surely it must be coaching.  Given that changing the LS mid-season has screwed the kicking unit maybe he is reluctant to change mid year although is it feasible to get worse.

Anyway I'm on board with not playing ST now. Go for it 4th down every time. Kick it out of bounds. If I'm playing against GB, I would be trying onside kicks against us. 

42 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

If it was a couple of things then I would agree. If the returner or coverage unit was blowing up then yes, maybe its personnel not coaching.

But its everything.

• Unreliable kicker
  • Duff holder
  • Bad long snapper
  • Truly awful coverage unit
  • Bad kick returner
  • Bad punt returner
  • Even the punter has now started having the odd duff punt
  • Can't even recover onside kick

Everything stinks. Everyone - find it impossible to believe that the entire ST personnel group is useless. Its  unprecedented. Teams usually use the bottom of the roster to play ST so it can't be that hard to find guys to slot into ST positions to at least mediocre standards. Would need to be a crazy co-incidence that we hit upon a year when the entire bottom of the roster are all garbage at ST which co-incides with a Crosby slump as well.

I do get your logic but surely it must be coaching.  Given that changing the LS mid-season has screwed the kicking unit maybe he is reluctant to change mid year although is it feasible to get worse.

Anyway I'm on board with not playing ST now. Go for it 4th down every time. Kick it out of bounds. If I'm playing against GB, I would be trying onside kicks against us. 

It seems EXTREMELY plausible to me that:

• An "average" kicker when paired with a rotating cast of awful to mediocre holders and long-snappers is going to result in a "bad" FG kicking unit.
  • A team that is missing it's top 3 OL is then going to be fielding PS-level protection (and DL) on kick units as well. This has lead to breakdowns in protection.
  • Malik Taylor is just bad, and there's no coaching that can overcome him pushing a KO out of bounds at the 5yd line.
  • Amari Stoudemire is not very good
  • A roster overall challenged by injuries that was already barren of ST players is going to manifest itself

It looks like a roster that already had bad ST players is affected most by additional injuries. I don't think Drayton is a great coach, but our ST personnel is pretty schitty

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tperk said:

I heard that Rizzi wanted to stay somewhere warm with his family, and GB isn't exactly the warmest place during the course of an NFL season.

Money talks .. he could vacation/be warm elsewhere in the off season.  Would have been well worth the $$ spent hiring him versus what we have now.

55 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It seems EXTREMELY plausible to me that:

• An "average" kicker when paired with a rotating cast of awful to mediocre holders and long-snappers is going to result in a "bad" FG kicking unit.
  • A team that is missing it's top 3 OL is then going to be fielding PS-level protection (and DL) on kick units as well. This has lead to breakdowns in protection.
  • Malik Taylor is just bad, and there's no coaching that can overcome him pushing a KO out of bounds at the 5yd line.
  • Amari Stoudemire is not very good
  • A roster overall challenged by injuries that was already barren of ST players is going to manifest itself

It looks like a roster that already had bad ST players is affected most by additional injuries. I don't think Drayton is a great coach, but our ST personnel is pretty schitty

Amari Stoudemire does not appreciate being dragged into this conversation.