The Orlando Brown Situation

coordinator0

8 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I would be floored if we didn't get AT LEAST a 1st rounder for a player who's shown capable of playing both tackle positions. And EDC should be ashamed if he settled for anything less than that. Unless we're getting multiple 2nd and 3rd's.

We will see. I certainly hope you’re on the right side of things, haha.

Although like I said i fully expect Zeus to be playing for us next year.

I think some of you guys are really underestimating what a premier left tackle goes for in this league. Laremy Tunsil + filler netted 2 1st rounders and a second. Trent Williams was widely reported to be going for at least a 1st round pick before Washington made the stupid decision which they did. Again, premier, young left tackles are not traded too often. If we are forced to trade him, anything less than a first + multiple picks is a travesty. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I think some of you guys are really underestimating what a premier left tackle goes for in this league. 

I get the value of the position. It’s Orlando Brown at that position I question the value of. I might need to go watch some of our games again because I’m not seeing where the 1st round expectations are coming from.

16 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm not entirely convinced that this is the optimal time. Teams aren't going to forget him playing well at LT. There's also a factor of the cap squeeze reverting and teams potentially being more "hungry" next offseason. I'm not too worried about our cap tie up for 2022 by temporarily holding the tag.

I don't think the tightened cap really matters in terms of trading Brown. Anyone who trades for him can extend him without bumping his 2021 rookie contract cap hit by a significant amount. In that sense he might actually be more valuable this offseason given his low cap number. 

The way I see it we basically hold all the cards here. A price of at least a 1st rounder is warranted here. For anyone maybe beyond the top 10 picks looking for a left tackle, if they picked a player who performed like Brown, then they'd be VERY happy with that output. You lose the rookie contract aspect of it trading for Brown but as it relates to a position like LT I don't think that matters as much - the security of a proven player is valuable. 

If nobody offers a 1st, then we just keep him - there's no point in trading him if the price isn't significantly higher than the 3rd round comp pick we'll one day get for him. He may not love the situation but he'll still need to come out and ball out next season in a contract year to secure his bag. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

2 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I get the value of the position. It’s Orlando Brown at that position I question the value of. I might need to go watch some of our games again because I’m not seeing where the 1st round expectations are coming from.

He's shown versatility at both tackle positions, played 16 games the 3 of 4 years and top 15 far as tackles go. He's unquestionably worth at minimum, a 1st and some change back.

Edited by RavensfanRD

6 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

He's shown versatility at both tackle positions, played 16 games the 3 of 4 years and top 15 far as tackles go. He's unquestionably worth at minimum, a 1st and some change back.

Yeah I guess it's a bit of a guessing game trying to figure out a player's perception around the league but I think there's a good case to be made around Brown. He was considered a 1st round talent who only fell because of questions around his work ethic that he has largely put to bed. He's made the Pro Bowl each of the past 2 years. Decent bet it's not just Ravens fans who think highly of him. 

23 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Yeah I guess it's a bit of a guessing game trying to figure out a player's perception around the league but I think there's a good case to be made around Brown. He was considered a 1st round talent who only fell because of questions around his work ethic that he has largely put to bed. He's made the Pro Bowl each of the past 2 years. Decent bet it's not just Ravens fans who think highly of him. 

I'm just hoping EDC doesn't let Bill O'brien out do him in the trading game with tackles.

I do know there is a contingent of "film" guys (its been stated on here too actually from time to time) that think Lamar/the Ravens' system make life a lot easier on Orlando. Interesting to see if that thought is shared around the league...could influence his perceived value on what other teams would be willing to give up.

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I don't think the tightened cap really matters in terms of trading Brown. Anyone who trades for him can extend him without bumping his 2021 rookie contract cap hit by a significant amount. In that sense he might actually be more valuable this offseason given his low cap number. 

The way I see it we basically hold all the cards here. A price of at least a 1st rounder is warranted here. For anyone maybe beyond the top 10 picks looking for a left tackle, if they picked a player who performed like Brown, then they'd be VERY happy with that output. You lose the rookie contract aspect of it trading for Brown but as it relates to a position like LT I don't think that matters as much - the security of a proven player is valuable. 

If nobody offers a 1st, then we just keep him - there's no point in trading him if the price isn't significantly higher than the 3rd round comp pick we'll one day get for him. He may not love the situation but he'll still need to come out and ball out next season in a contract year to secure his bag. 

This is where I'm at with the situation. You get offered a first I think you have to take it...but even a 2nd - with the way our offensive line has been made a "priority" this offseason by our HC and GM - I don't think that's worth it from an opportunity cost standpoint heading into next season with our need at IOL and a new hole at RT.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Either way, if we get a 1st for Brown. We're drafting the best available tackle with one of our firsts this year. There's no way around that. Unless two incredible prospects are available where we pick and we hope to land a guy in the 2nd. 

Could see us having maybe one flashier pick out of our top selections. Like if one of the big receivers fell. Other than that though, yea.. expect OL centric picks.

What would people think if we traded him for something like the Chargers 2nd round pick and Mike Williams?

Not even sure if the Chargers would go for that because I'm not really sure how to properly value Williams. But I've been thinking a Brown trade could be a hidden path towards working the WR market as well particularly if we're not sure about the FA options.

If we ended up doing something like that (or sending him to JAX for a package that includes Chark), used our 1st rounder on a RT/Brown replacement, and then made Brandon Scherff our big FA signing, I think we could be really pleased with where we stand on offense. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

If we ended up doing something like that (or sending him to JAX for a package that includes Chark), used our 1st rounder on a RT/Brown replacement, and then made Brandon Scherff our big FA signing, I think we could be really pleased with where we stand on offense. 

Scenario like this would be great for us.

Pursuing a proven WR makes all the sense in the world. Bad WR class(for us), and we're not great at scouting/developing the position. Great OL class(for us and the league), and scouting/developing the position is a strength of ours.

Brandon Scherff, Proven WR, high end Rookie OL selections. Hard to argue that shouldn't be the path for us.

• Like 1